Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Duke Nukem 3D Sounds

Do Duke Nukem 3D soundfx sound a bit grainier or bass-y than Doom's sounds? What frequency are they played at? Pardon my elementary knowledge of audio, but is it possible to push Doom sounds through the same filters that Duke Nukem 3D's sounds go through to kinda engineer them to sound similar? Would the difference be noticeable?

Most Doom sounds are sampled at 11025 Hz, and the few exceptions are at 22050 Hz. (For reference, "CD quality" is 44100 Hz; and audiophiles will want to go much higher than that.)

Duke 3D, however, uses a wide variety of sample rates. While there are some sounds at 11025 or 10989, most are at 8000 or even a lowly 5988.

Some of Duke 3D's sounds have painfully low sample rates. I find it hard to play the game now because I find them so unpleasant.

jute said:

Some of Duke 3D's sounds have painfully low sample rates. I find it hard to play the game now because I find them so unpleasant.

And the World Tour release made them sound even worse to the point where not even a rabid fanboy like me wants to get it.

-

If anything, I'd personally like to see (well, hear) the Duke 3D sounds polished and up to Doom standards rather than the other way round, I think that would be more worthwhile.

I agree, the sound quality in Duke always seemed strange to me as it's notably worse than in some older games. Especially some of the Duke voice lines are horribly bassy, grainy and just hard to listen to. Other sounds are not that bad.

jute said:

Some of Duke 3D's sounds have painfully low sample rates.

Yeah, as I said, they go as low as 5988 Hz.

Has there ever been a decent Duke hi-res pack made, like the Perkristian one for Doom? I've got the HRP and it mostly has music and a tiny handful of sound effects and I also have PSX one from the DukeHRP page but they still aren't that much improved.

IIRC Perkristian did do some higher quality Duke sounds that was posted on Doomworld, but it was only a handful and nowhere near as complete as the Doom pack is. it's kind of odd there hasn't been much effort put into restoring the sound quality, what with Duke's HRP replacing nearly everything else