Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrazyDoomguy

Demo question

A runner have made a run at beginning good, but after 6 minutes his run is slow, lost many time and I can make better. It is ok, if I take this run and after 6 minutes make own run? What should I writte on documentation (txt.)?

dew said:

Don't steal other people's work without crediting it, that's a common rule that applies to demos as well. It's a bit rude to copy routes and ideas without giving credit, but it's outright shameful to lift entire segments tic by tic from other people's demos and then not mention it anywhere. You didn't play or build the entire speedrun yourself, so it's deceitful to present yourself as the only author.

Mixing regular runs with TAS is generally discouraged. It's quite common to make mistakes in long runs as your concetration/routing quality drops, but "improving" them with tools is missing the point. It should be up to the runner if they want to cross the gap into cheating, but then you have to consider a whole new set of standards - perhaps as a segmented demo even the first half could use improving? Why have merely a solid run when it should be near-flawless?

It's also considered extremely rude to do anything of that sort without asking the runner. I guess if they give you the nod, then you're free to do as you wish, although my personal stance is "why". Some runners will refuse exactly because they don't want their regular imperfect performance mixed with superior tool-assisted play.

edit: Thanks, Ling. For those who don't know, that excerpt is from Azuruish's case in which he took a part of Looper's regular run into his TAS movie.

I feel like it should be okay as long as you're honest about it. It seems silly to me to treat some gameplay as intellectual property or whatever. But I have warped views on copyright and stuff in general. In any case, my demos can be used for anything.

I don't like the expectation that TAS should be nearly perfect either. Guy just gets more fun out of the game this way, let him do it. He isn't interested in crazy optimization and you won't persuade him. That Azuruish hate wave was unpleasant to see.

Memfis said:

obvious borrowings ... cheapen the quality of your work. If you're going to copy someone, usually you need to do it better than the original, otherwise your stuff will look second-rate and you probably don't want that.

heh

Memfis said:

I don't like the expectation that TAS should be nearly perfect either. Guy just gets more fun out of the game this way, let him do it. He isn't interested in crazy optimization and you won't persuade him. That Azuruish hate wave was unpleasant to see.

Nobody with common sense is arguing about TAS having to be perfect. It's about the obvious laughable attention whoring those crude TASes were accompanied with. You're unlikely to gain praise and "have fun" in a single step if you're not a damn natural, so it's a perfectly fine reason for a mockery.