Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

SHOVELWARE ADVENTURE! (Huge Vanilla Map)

Hello everyone, and welcome to Shovelware Adventure!

> CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD <

This is a sprawling 100% vanilla compatible map originally designed for the Vinesauce mapping contest. It features a few heavily modified enemies, many areas inspired by the classics and should take the average Doomer about an hour to complete.

Difficulty settings are thoroughly implemented here (as usual) to ensure anyone can have a fun, fair craic at this. The very end of the map is difficult even for me on UV, though I'm sure some of you out there with a sixth sense for Doom will have no trouble beating this!

There are several different paths to the end. Speedy Doomers may find themselves in the final room in a matter of minutes, but you'll also be missing quite a few secret areas. It all depends which way you prefer to conquer this abandoned base.

"What the hell is with that name?" I chose the name Shovelware Adventure because the idea from square one was to make a map that felt like a mini-episode all on it's own which simultaneously serves as a nostalgic reminder of those 'best of the bunch' maps you'd find on Shovelware discs - the little nuggets of gold in the middle of the poo!

A quick run-down of custom enemies present in this wad, many of which come from my 2008 project UAC Rebellion, but there are also a few new guys mixed in:

• Plasma Zombies are walking around the map sporting Duke's classic shades. They're dressed in blue so they stand out easily and attack like a slower Arachnotron. They are as weak as any undead enemy, but don't let two of these guys corner you - it takes only a few plasma balls to drain your HP.
  • RPG Zombies equipped with Revenant rockets are scattered throughout the map. Be careful, they look similar to Zombiemen, but are covered in blood and sometimes take 2 SSG shots to kill!
  • Cacodemons are now Toxicacodemons - Almost the same, but they now have a Baron's fireball which moves faster and stings much worse.
  • Cloaked Imps are found in many corners of the map - Basically the Imp version of a Spectre.
  • Psycho Imps, which are a shiny silver colour, are also scattered about. These are basically Imps on roids - Twice as fast, twice as strong, and shoot two faster fireballs. Their claws are also far more deadly. Don't let these guys near you!

SCREENSHOTS:

Finally, a few technical notes:
  • This map is 100% vanilla compatible, tested in Chocolate Doom and run through Visplane Explorer. Everything seemed to come up fine, so if you find HOMs or crash spots, please report them to me. (This will obviously be the version Joel gets for the contest, but he uses ZDoom so it doesn't really matter.)
  • It is absolutely necessary that you use the included shovelad.deh patch in Chocolate Doom, Boom and other ports, however it is not necessary to load it in ZDoom and ZDoom-based ports as it reads the enemy modifications from within the wadfile itself.
  • My included demos desync, so recording may not be viable due to extensive use of dehacked features, however I urge you to record demos yourself and send them to me to test this little theory. (Or maybe I just modified the map slightly after I recorded them and forgot..)
I hope you all like what you see and have fun with this wad. I put a lot of effort in but am aware it isn't without flaw, so please leave feedback be it positive or negative - It all helps and makes for an interesting read.

Enjoy!!

I played this wad until i got to the boss fight, I got stuck there. Are you sure there's enough ammo on the map to kill everything ? I even backtracked a couple of times to pick up ammo from dead bodies but it still wasn't enough. Aside from that, the level design is beautiful and I think the placement of enemies was clever, I enjoyed playing it for the most part :P

Thanks for the comments fellas!

Map Spoilers, only read if you're stuck at the end:

Spoiler

In the boss room, there is a secret which contains plenty of rockets to shoot into the big cross.

I hope to see some demos if you guys want to record them :) (hopefully this map doesn't desync simply due to my use of an old node builder. I might release a patch if any demos I receive desync to further test what's up)

Cheers!

Here's a very long skill 3 fda: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8wba9zg5t577xfs/shovelad_skill3_fda_benjogami.lmp?dl=1

I used PrBoom+ complevel 2. Couple of early deaths but then I managed to snowball my resources and work through it. Typical of my poor navigational and secret-finding skills, I'm frequently disoriented and I found a measly 1 secret. :P

I had fun. There's a lot of combat through doors which isn't really my thing but I assume it's a conscious decision given the theme of the map. Monster replacements usually throw me off and bug me, but these felt pretty good. The plasma zombies were mostly not very threatening though; their projectiles could probably be a bit faster. Or they could have been used in more annoying turret locations. ;)

I really appreciate the comments, and thanks for that demo benjogami. Will check it out soon as I get home. Hope to see a few more posting FDAs soon. Thanks again!

It was great fun playing this. Only part I disliked was the hard cluster of monster after the red door (the one that leads up to the exit). Too many of theeeem :S :P Anyway, good work!

Adam, I also played today your UAC Rebellion , great set :)

fun times, like your maps - always entertaining and fun and so glad to have you on - I had fun exploring but activating the icon of sin over a save meant I had to leg it out of there - still fun design and happy to have found some secrets - well not all of the by myself - good times!

7 hours ago, Clippy said:

fun times, like your maps - always entertaining and fun and so glad to have you on - I had fun exploring but activating the icon of sin over a save meant I had to leg it out of there - still fun design and happy to have found some secrets - well not all of the by myself - good times!

Who doesn't like doomkid's maps?