Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sick Bow

Here's an Air Cannon we built

Last weekend we got together with an air cannon. It's pretty damned impressive, even if you've seen stuff like this before. Ignore the accents, most of us are from a small town in Texas, mine's slowly coming back after being in the military. I'm the one filming, you don't get to see my beautiful face. Remember, these barrels have a lot of weight to them, even when empty. Getting knocked down by a water bottle isn't something I would have expected, let alone a big dent! I was really surprised with the outcome, as I recorded this on a Samsung Galaxy S7 Active (minus some audio crackles - that was my bad not knowing where the microphones were on the phone). Some time in the near future when we do this again, I'll actually have my GoPro charged and maybe have some cooler targets to shoot at. One of my buddies suggested attaching it to the end of the cannon, which would be a really cool shot! Additionally, we're working on a smaller barrel, for marbles and golf balls. If I'm lucky, we'll have an old truck to shoot at next time. Anyways, hope you all enjoy!

Mods: not sure if it's okay to post my own YouTube video here, but I did read the rules and it seemed okay (it's not monetized or anything, and I won't make a habit out of self promoting).

Good quality video. Enjoyable payoff that proves plastic bottle of ice is more devastating than a can of tomatoes / cacodemon guts. Its the only time a barrel has ever been shot that it didn't explode.

geo said:

Good quality video.

Thank you very much! Like I said, I was honestly very surprised by the framerate, resolution, and the stability of the S7's camera. I'm super rusty when it comes to video editing, and got lucky with a half-decent royalty-free song that actually fit well.

geo said:

Enjoyable payoff that proves plastic bottle of ice is more devastating than a can of tomatoes / cacodemon guts.

Man, I wish I could get some sort of physics major to check out this concept. The cans weigh about twice as much as the frozen bottles, but I think they hold a lot of air and are generally less dense. This is, what I believe, causes the water bottles to do more damage. Aerodynamics might be in play as well. I am not very intelligent when it comes to stuff like that.

geo said:

Its the only time a barrel has ever been shot that it didn't explode.

Not in the video, but the one guy there other than me that plays games had the same thought. If they were red or orange (or even grey!) they would have exploded for sure. Maybe next time we'll toss some gas in there (doubt it!). Thanks for watching, though.

This is true about canned tomatoes. Depending on the brand of course, but yeah ice is a solid. Even if a tomato can is packed with 100% tomatoes.... they're still squishy :-)

Gotta have grey barrels with green ooze to explode. Its not toxic waste.... its explosion jelly!

Doomkid said:

Impressive that you guys built this, good job. Well made video too!

Thank you! And I agree with your first point, I'm surprised it works :D