Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MancubusBruiser1988

Lagging on vista

I recently got given a hp vista laptop but Doom wads lag big time.. I've updated drivers and tweaked the computer for better performance but still lags.
Also lags with Doom 3 anytime there's more than one enemy.. I have the settings on low, and my laptop has way more than D3 system requirements...
Any ideas??

Can you post more specs of your laptop and the Doom source port you're using?

Service pack 2
windows vista, business. 07
32-bit os
RAM 2.00 gb
Processor. 2.20 GHz.

GZ Doom V. 1.9.1.0

Latest version of GZ doom does the same lag.

Also all WAD files can not be changed to open with gz doom.. have to drag n drop.

First I'd recommend getting a different OS and if that's not possible I'd disable Vista's DEP for your games. I remember it causing problems for almost all games.

Edit:

MancubusBruiser1988 said:

RAM 2.00 gb

2GB Memory seems a bit low. I recall you would need at least 1GB to run the OS properly and with a few other processes running in the background 2GB will be at it's limit pretty fast. How high is the memory usage when the game is running. Ir you're in the 90% then that could be the reason.
Also what GPU does it have?

Yeah, which gfx chip does it have? Some laptops have two gfx chips and when the slower one is used, then prpblems arise.

Or, given that he has a "Vista laptop", he may have one of the dreaded Intel IGP GMA chips, which are particularly unsuited for use with GZDoom. In that case, stick to regular ZDoom.

Also, GZDoom v1.9.0 is ancient history given that the current one is 2.3.0, but if the graphics chip is so outdated newer versions might not work at all.

I concur that this sounds like underpowered graphics hardware. If that is the case you won't have much fun playing hardware accelerated games on it.

What does GZDoom's startup log say when you start with 'gzdoom +logfile log.txt'?

MancubusBruiser1988 said:

I recently got given a hp vista laptop but Doom wads lag big time.. I've updated drivers and tweaked the computer for better performance but still lags.
Also lags with Doom 3 anytime there's more than one enemy.. I have the settings on low, and my laptop has way more than D3 system requirements...
Any ideas??

You should check and see if hardware acceleration is enabled.

First, go to your Display options in control panel. Then go to "Advanced Settings". Go to the troubleshoot tab, then look at "Change Settings". If it is grayed out, then you probably can't run any games. If it's not, then click on it.

Once you are in, put the slider ALL the way up.

Hope this helps, CyberD417.

Officer D said:

First I'd recommend getting a different OS and if that's not possible I'd disable Vista's DEP for your games. I remember it causing problems for almost all games.

Edit:
2GB Memory seems a bit low. I recall you would need at least 1GB to run the OS properly and with a few other processes running in the background 2GB will be at it's limit pretty fast. How high is the memory usage when the game is running. Ir you're in the 90% then that could be the reason.
Also what GPU does it have?

2 GB is fine with 32 bits Windows Vista/7, and also, 32 bits just support 3 GB of RAM at max.

press ctrl-alt-delete to open the task manager and see what process is taking up your cp/ram. Things like this tend to happen when you have an app with a memory leak running.