Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Me playing coop with AutoDoom in Base Ganymede E3

I've turned AutoDoom into a cooperative bot. Now when you start it, you will be free to move, and the bot will be spawned as a second player. Here are some things I've noticed:

1. Bot just doesn't care that it dies. It will just come back alive and persist on killing more evil minions.
  2. If you're lost, the bot can sometimes be your guide :) Follow it!
  3. Sometimes the bot will not know what to do, leaving it to you to find the way, until you reveal new areas accessible to it.
  4. Other times, it can easily lead you to the secret level without you knowing anything about it.
  5. If the bot notices that all monsters are on you, it will just go away to find new prey.
  6. Don't expect to find anything of value wherever the bot has rampaged.
  7. Bot has superhuman chaingun skills. RATATATATA
  8. Not ready for Doom 2 (it keeps switching to the fist or chainsaw for no good reason when having the SSG) or for Boom (it still doesn't recognize Boom generalized specials, and recognizing Boom conveyor tricks is a task for modern AI I'm afraid). So it's not ready for a release yet.
The demo can be downloaded here and is for vanilla Ultimate Doom, running Base Ganymede Complete, so it means that the gameplay authenticity is verified. Caution, though, that it's a long demo of the entire episode 3. At some moments I was lost or struggling to survive or not shoot the bot.

This is very amusing. For the first 25 seconds or so I actually wasn't sure which one is the bot: the behavior of both players seeming natural enough. Then it started turning around a lot, pointlessly shooting barrels, etc.

I wonder if it would help if the bot used the chat sometimes. Messages like "opened the red door" or "found the BFG, it is northwest from you" could be useful I think.

I guess the entertainment value would be higher if it cared a bit more about survival. In your old demos rooting for the computer was very exciting. :)

Its exciting to imagine this thing becoming near perfect, and it could compete in the dw ironman league.