Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
everennui

Sludge Refinery V1.0

(Sludge Refinery :: Doom 2 :: GZDoom 2.1.2 or above)

Updated 2/06/17
Placed more health and ammunition throughout the level.

Updated 1/24/17
This is version 0.99 which means I'm nearly done and waiting for some input from you guys. The map is about an hour long and has 500+ monsters.

Updated 1/12/17
Complete overhaul. With the exception of the final encounter and maybe a little more detailing, this should be the ~final version. So, I'll call this Version 0.9. The map takes about 45:00 game minutes. Ammo should be plentiful if you don't miss a lot. The final monster count is actually ~430 depending on if spawns get blocked or anything of that nature.

Spoiler

The forklift works.

I got permission from Master Boot Record (https://soundcloud.com/masterbootrecordmusic) to use his music in the wad. It's five minutes long and I've converted it to .ogg vorbis. I also use a Radiohead midi in the beginning.

Playtesters: (Twitch.tv) Skizzlerzz, Horse_mans, DyingCamel (for pointing out the frustration of the previous beginning.

https://www.mediafire.com/?0qsaqt45oyxkqg6

The difficulty settings have not been completely implemented beyond the first few rooms. Currently Ultra Violence is the only proper choice.

This isn't an ammo starvation wad, but you will have a hard time if you take down Imps with the SSG.

Please take screen shots of any bugs or bullshit that you find. If you could make a video that would be great.

Thank you, in advance for playing through this. All testers will be properly credited.

Sounds from soundbible.com (royalty free non-commerical)

Screenshots:
Spoiler

Some stuff about the Wad:

Monsters drop various items. Health packs are very scant. Jumping, crouching and free look are necessary. Monster count does not reflect the end total (nearing 400 monsters).

There are some issues with the Decorate files that I will need to figure out, but I'm pretty sure it was the naming conventions that I gave the replacements.

Neat map. Got lost though and then got trapped in the secret in the cave with the large health pack. Had to use noclip to get out. Will try again later. Thanks it looked really good.

I gave up after map respawned bunch of enemies. The map is just slow sludge where you camp at every doorway and pick off enemies. It gets old after you see the first chaingunner.

Also if you align 3d floor and it's control sector in the same x or y plane it becomes easier to to edit the slopyness of said 3d floor. You can also vertices to slope 3d floors

Like this:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/smu3oox8qsgl74s/3dslopes.wad

Ed_Deth said:

Neat map. Got lost though and then got trapped in the secret in the cave with the large health pack. Had to use noclip to get out. Will try again later. Thanks it looked really good.

Thank you. I fixed that whole secret area. It was a big mess. I appreciate that you played it. It's a long map. Should take 30+ minutes.

illuknisaa said:

I gave up after map respawned bunch of enemies. The map is just slow sludge where you camp at every doorway and pick off enemies. It gets old after you see the first chaingunner.

Also if you align 3d floor and it's control sector in the same x or y plane it becomes easier to to edit the slopyness of said 3d floor. You can also vertices to slope 3d floors

Like this:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/smu3oox8qsgl74s/3dslopes.wad

Wow! Just what I was looking for. Thanks for the really constructive criticism and wanton recommendation for something I must emanate a need for, from my person. I posted this here so that I could learn about your personal tastes.

I respawn monsters to reuse space. Seriously, this debate gets old. I make maps I want to play. I respawn monsters, deal with it.

We should be really good friends now, in the future. Please, spray your literary diarrhea on something that I've spent over 150 hours on. It's good to know you din't play it.

The three people I have watched play this on Twitch enjoyed it. ...and they're good at Doom and play Doom, often. Maybe if you don't play something, you should withold your opinion. The first use of spawning monsters happens pretty early on, so your criticism is useless.

Spoiler

Lots of sarcasm.

Moving on.

Played this map for an hour or so, died more times than I can remember, you really have to be careful, blazing into a room blindless is usually a guarantee that you end up dying. You should be playing really careful and pick them off one at a time, easiest to do standing near a doorway. I have to save otherwise I wouldn't be able to see the rest of the map. I'm just past the Cyberdemon, and playing the map on HMP.

Its not that bad, there are parts of the map that I enjoy and also parts that frustrate the hell out of me. I keep getting low on health quite fast, so one or two hits from a Revenant rocket and you're toast. So play like a sneaky backstabbing Doom Marine and you're fine :p Ammo was rather low at the start but gradually builds up as I went along. Of course the map has its bugs here and there, but I didn't encountered anything game breaking so far. The music wasn't my kind of thing so I switched it off after a while. I will try to finish the map on HMP.