Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raymoohawk

malwarebytes safety?

i dont have an anti virus, and i hesitate to install one on my slow computer. does anyone have thoughts on malwarebytes anti malware, is it safe to use?

Malwarebytes is backed by a good company and is very safe. It is my go to recommendation for anti-virus and anti-malware on any given day.

Why ask if it is safe though? I know there are shady programs out there but this is one that should've been easy to verify as trustworthy or not through a few minutes of research.

I've used it before, and I would use it again without hesitation.
Seriously, you can't go wrong with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

thanks for your anwers :)
i did do a bit of reading around, but i still wanted to ask here since i am not much of a computer person

I usually love malwarebytes but when my PC's dnsapi.dll got infected, MB removed it and now my PC is unusable until I reinstall Windows. I've been working on a solution to save my data for 3 days now but nope, I'm fucked. It was a particularly malicious Trojan called "shopperz". My copy of windows doesn't think it's genuine anymore and I'm not able to get online. :(

AVG Free is also pretty good as well.Though so long as you stay away from something like Norton or Mcafee, you should be fine.

Malwarebytes is solid, will knock pretty much anything out that dares to compromise your system. Haven't been hit with something really nasty in years though.

I've used it for maybe a decade. It doesn't seem to slow down the PC because it only activates when you tell it to. The paid versions do auto scans I'm sure. I only run it every month or when I suspect that I have something, but I never have anything.

Malwarebytes is great. The one thing I've found it fails consistently with is deleting persistent, malicious Chrome extensions on my friend's PC. The Chrome cleanup tool handled those nicely.

Doomkid said:

I usually love malwarebytes but when my PC's dnsapi.dll got infected, MB removed it and now my PC is unusable until I reinstall Windows. I've been working on a solution to save my data for 3 days now but nope, I'm fucked. It was a particularly malicious Trojan called "shopperz". My copy of windows doesn't think it's genuine anymore and I'm not able to get online. :(

Why can't you just boot to a USB or a CD and copy your data somewhere else? Or even system restore Windows to the point where it works? Clearly more than that one DLL got fried if Windows thinks it's non-genuine.

Jaxxoon R said:

Anyone think it's worth the effort to switch from Avast? Or are they about the same?

I'm running Avast and Malwarebytes at the same time with no apparent problems.

I always install Malwarebytes whenever I have a new computer. It's safe and probably the best at what it does. Never once had an issue with it.

It's not going to do auto scans for you, but it's not a bloated commercial antivirus program.

Doomkid said:

Sounds like it was less MalwareBytes doing that and the Trojan protesting its forced removal. They're getting more and more like this, unfortunately.

Doomkid said:

Your data is probably fine (unless it was ransomware that encrypted all or parts of your device). There's several solutions I can think of:

a) as Aliotroph mentioned, boot to a live CD (if I remember correctly, Linux Mint does this by default to let you sample the OS before you decide to install it, but many OS out there have live CD style distros you can try). Then mount your device if it isn't already, and browse to where your files are and copy them off.

b) get a new hdd, install a fresh OS, attach your borked hdd as a slave/secondary and make double sure that the BIOS doesn't try to use it as a bootable device. Copy data from borked hdd to new hdd.

c) install a fresh OS to the borked hdd, do some research on browsing unallocated space to find your stuff (dangerous though, as there's a chance the footprint of the fresh OS may have gone over areas of the hdd with your personal data)

If you have 8.1 or 10 as your OS, Windows Defender does a good enough job as long as you have both common sense as well as ad/script blockers installed on your browser.

But it doesn't catch everything, so you want to back it up with Malwarebytes by running it once a month (if you have the free version).