Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

What happened to Olivia after she became the spiderdemon?

was olivia possessed by the mastermind demon from the beginning? since theres actual info on the spider demon being a real high tier demon, so it would make sense olivia either was just food or the final building block for the demon physical form or was possessed and just went pokemon.

EDIT: my writing is getting horrid

LANEGRACABRA said:

was olivia possessed by the mastermind demon from the beginning? since theres actual info on the spider demon being a real high tier demon, so it would make sense olivia either was just food or the final building block for the demon physical form or was possessed and just went pokemon.

EDIT: my writing is getting horrid

Yes. I could be wrong, but I don't think Olivia 'became' the SM. She was involved in creating a mechanical UAC stamped body for it like all the other human built/reassembled creatures. She was being used to build up the armies of hell. The SM was likely just a telepathic brain sitting around.

And that's why I am not ruling out that she might actually come back in one form or another, dumb as it may be.

Perhaps she can come back as an AI or something. Apparently, Hell frowns upon treachery which she kinda did in spades so her eternal fate isn't going to be a pleasant one.

It could be the other way around though. Olivia swooping around on the back of the Maledict, with Forgotten Ones flying all over the place.

Guys, Olivia is dead. We get a Doom game every 10 years now because of development time these days, and you want Olivia / SM again? When there is the icon of sin, the titan, dark lord of hell, and hayden left for potential nemeses? Come on XD

massivefanofdoom said:

Guys, Olivia is dead. We get a Doom game every 10 years now because of development time these days

She might be dead, but Doom 2016 wasn't being developed for 10 years. It wouldn't take, and didn't take, 10 years.

The game left off on an obvious cliffhanger. There are obviously plans to follow up in respectable time.

Regardless, it's pretty clear that she's dead. It would be pretty cheap to just bring her back, and it would take away a lot of the satisfaction of killing her in the first place. She wasn't really too memorable of a character to begin with, I'm glad she is dead.

massivefanofdoom said:

Guys, Olivia is dead. We get a Doom game every 10 years now because of development time these days, and you want Olivia / SM again? When there is the icon of sin, the titan, dark lord of hell, and hayden left for potential nemeses? Come on XD

It took 10 years because, half way through, they scrapped what they were making and started over with largely a new team carried over from Crytek.

Sig said:

She might be dead, but Doom 2016 wasn't being developed for 10 years. It wouldn't take, and didn't take, 10 years.

The game left off on an obvious cliffhanger. There are obviously plans to follow up in respectable time.

All in all, it was about a decade.

Of course, this time we are all hoping a sequel will not take that long, but it obviously won't be out in a matter of a year or two.

Now that they have a more unified vision and a much more capable engine to work with, I imagine the process will be more streamlined in the future.

Isn't the title a giant spoiler giveaway? I mean I haven't gotten that far and that did spoil what happened to her.

Glaice said:

Isn't the title a giant spoiler giveaway? I mean I haven't gotten that far and that did spoil what happened to her.

Yes, but if you haven't finished it, you probably shouldn't be reading the forums anot a game released so long ago I'd you want to avoid spoilers.

Sick Bow said:

Regardless, it's pretty clear that she's dead. It would be pretty cheap to just bring her back, and it would take away a lot of the satisfaction of killing her in the first place. She wasn't really too memorable of a character to begin with, I'm glad she is dead.

I felt zero satisfaction in her sinking into the unknown and a brain with a spider mech body rising up in her place which may very well not be 'her.'

Sig, I'm pretty sure they did that so that the Doom Slayer wouldn't have to kill a "human". All throughout this game, you were able to justify ripping them apart in the most gruesome methods imaginable because they're demons, that eliminates the need of introspection. If he had killed her while she was still a human, it would have raised all sorts of morality questions. By willfully becoming the Spider Mastermind, she abandoned her humanity.

Sig said:

I felt zero satisfaction in her sinking into the unknown and a brain with a spider mech body rising up in her place which may very well not be 'her.'

The Robotic Legs share a similar aesthetic to her metal suit, I think they intended the players to believe she was transformed. However I understand that the instant transformation is a bit unsatisfying, her suffering or trying to resist a little would of helped cement the transformation idea and teach her more of a lesson.

When I say little, I personally would be happy to see a Transformation similar to John Carpenters' The Thing :P

Chezza said:

The Robotic Legs share a similar aesthetic to her metal suit, I think they intended the players to believe she was transformed. However I understand that the instant transformation is a bit unsatisfying, her suffering or trying to resist a little would of helped cement the transformation idea and teach her more of a lesson.

When I say little, I personally would be happy to see a Transformation similar to John Carpenters' The Thing :P

I think they kind of hit on this in that Noclip interview, but they avoided a lot of scrutiny by not having human-like enemies in the game.

Besides that, wasn't there a codex entry about "Melding with flesh" or something like that?

Sick Bow said:

I think they kind of hit on this in that Noclip interview, but they avoided a lot of scrutiny by not having human-like enemies in the game.

Yes, exactly. The closest things to humans are the possessed and they're not even really human, they're just corpses that are inhabited by demon spirits.

Sick Bow said:

Yes, but if you haven't finished it, you probably shouldn't be reading the forums anot a game released so long ago I'd you want to avoid spoilers.

you can still make it more vague while still cluing people in on the discussion. for example, "What happened to Olivia at the end?" is much less spoiler-y.

Viscra Maelstrom said:

you can still make it more vague while still cluing people in on the discussion. for example, "What happened to Olivia at the end?" is much less spoiler-y.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you at all, the title should be changed.

Sick Bow said:

Besides that, wasn't there a codex entry about "Melding with flesh" or something like that?

Yes, a mixture of flesh,bones,rock and steel (Spider mastermind)

A real transformation scene would have been cool. Same with Cyberdemon, instead of finding it caged like a zoo animal, we could have witnessed it being activated or given final touches of "construction".

LANEGRACABRA said:

A real transformation scene would have been cool. Same with Cyberdemon, instead of finding it caged like a zoo animal, we could have witnessed it being activated or given final touches of "construction".

See, this I agree with. Maybe they figured having an actual human transformation would make the censors flip shit, but they could've gotten away with it with the Cyberdemon. Still, I do agree that Olivia's transformation was pretty lackluster, considering she is the final boss and all.

You people keep saying she "transformed" into the Spider Mastermind, when the codex makes it pretty clear that this isn't the case.

The first Project Lazarus Tethering Operation (MTC 2146/351) retrieved a small compendium from the Umbral Plains in the crypt of a destroyed tower of unknown construction (artifact reference PL E2M8). This "vade mecum" was mostly illegible, but it did contain one of the rare references to the Aranea Imperatrix - a mystical demon that is still largely unknown.

"When the gate is opened, in the fourth age, when we have risen and the masters have shown us the path, she will be come. A great blessing will be given to the key holder, for they will become one with the master, and in that holy union the power of the dark priest will be unleashed upon the heretics of the Penumbral Plain. The Aranea Imperatrix. Carried in the mind of all who follow, fed from the blood of those who fell, made with bone of rock, iron, steel and sinew. A mighty god to rule over all other gods. One become two become legion."

The Aranea Imperatrix (The Spider Mastermind) was an already existing entity, into which the "key holder" (Olivia) was merged. Olivia is subservient to this existing demon.