Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
t3hPoundcake

Are custom textures as difficult as I think they are?

I found some really great textures online and I've been trying to learn how to add them into a pwad, but this is the most difficult thing I've ever done I can't figure it out at all, I just end up breaking the wad.

Do you really have to go and edit the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps for each individual texture you want to add? Or is there a way to just "merge" a resource wad into your pwad? Do I have to keep track of ONLY the individual textures I'm using from these wads and then go manually add each of them to my pwad? Do I have to replace existing D2 textures or can I add extras? I've been trying to learn this properly for around 8 hours total now since last night and I just can't figure it out and it's really frustrating so any help or reading would be appreciated.

is not difficult. my way how i adding texture into my pwad is: (i work with xwe) when i want to save texture from some wads i just click on the texture and select entry- save ass...
then i load my own wad and load the texture into ma pwad and right click on texture image and choose add to texture. no need to edit texture1 or pnames lumps.
hope its help you :)

t3hPoundcake said:

I found some really great textures online and I've been trying to learn how to add them into a pwad, but this is the most difficult thing I've ever done I can't figure it out at all, I just end up breaking the wad.

Do you really have to go and edit the TEXTURE1 and PNAMES lumps for each individual texture you want to add? Or is there a way to just "merge" a resource wad into your pwad? Do I have to keep track of ONLY the individual textures I'm using from these wads and then go manually add each of them to my pwad? Do I have to replace existing D2 textures or can I add extras? I've been trying to learn this properly for around 8 hours total now since last night and I just can't figure it out and it's really frustrating so any help or reading would be appreciated.

If you want to copy textures form a resource pack, you can open both your mod file and the pack in SLADE 3. Open the texture editor for both, and then just select and copy-paste the textures from the pack into your mod. Save and there you go.

Gez said:

If you want to copy textures form a resource pack, you can open both your mod file and the pack in SLADE 3. Open the texture editor for both, and then just select and copy-paste the textures from the pack into your mod. Save and there you go.

Will doing that copy the required patches, too (and add them to the patches list)? That does make it easier.

Adding to the patch list, definitely. Copying the lumps themselves, I think so but I'm not sure, it's been quite a while.

It copies the lumps too, but sometimes it copies them even though identical lumps already exist in the wad, or in the IWAD, therefore unnecessarily. It also sometimes fails to properly put them in between the P_ markers.