Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

Voros said:

^ it's a trivial matter for me. If I keep the size below 64 kb, the MIDI should work ingame. That's all I need to know. Thanks for replying though.

The MUS format is smaller than the MIDI format, so a larger MIDI might still work as it might still convert to a MUS file below the limit. The best way is to just check.

I'm aware of that fact. But the MIDIs I want to use right now are either over 100 kb in size or below 80 kb. I don't need to test for MIDIs that just might work, when there're are 35 more available for me to try. Like I said, it's a trivial matter for me right now. Thanks anyway.

Hey how do I use a custom sky "live" in GZDoom Builder? I know how to replace it for the actual final wad but is there an easy way to make it so I can see the custom sky when I test the map from GZDoom Builder?

Is it "normal" to make a copy of my doom2.wad and then just put all my resources in there and load that as the resource wad? This stuff confuses me.

unregistered45 said:

Can I record a damage amount which inflicts a player's gun?

This is for ZDoom.

There's a command called LINETARGET that tells you the basic info about the enemy: actor name, health and spawnhealth.

Actor name defines the type of the enemy / hazard, health is its health the moment you use the command, and spawnhealth is its health value when it spawns. For instance if you scanned an Imp it would show TARGET: DOOMIMP, HEALTH: 60, SPAWNHEALTH: 60.
I'd suggest typing BIND F LINETARGET in your ZDoom Console since whenever you press F, you'll do execute the command.

So let's say I shot an Imp with my pistol 6 times with my pistol and it died.

After each shot, you do a LINETARGET check on the Imp to see how many health did he lose. So this is my graph:

SPAWNHEALTH: 60
1st Shot: 50 -10
2nd Shot: 45 -5
3rd Shot: 40 -5
4th Shot: 25 -15
5th Shot: 15 -10
6th Shot: 0 -15

From this you can see that the first shot dealt 10 damage, the second one 5 damage, the third one 5 damage and so on.

The problem is when you shoot a low-tier monster with a high-tier weapon such as a Super Shotgun or a Rocket Launcher since it's a OHKO easily and that doesn't say how much damage total it dealt. It's obviously best used with the Shotgun, Fist and Pistol. Chaingun and Plasma Gun are tedious to make LINETARGET work with.

This is a method of calculating with low-tier weapons on low-tier monsters I guess.

Could someone explain why this texture is visible from this side,

but not from here?
I added this texture at the both middle sides.

MysteriousHaruko said:

Could someone explain why this texture is visible from this side,
http://i.imgur.com/vNHXmUG.jpg

but not from here?
I added this texture at the both middle sides.

http://i.imgur.com/4mwTrWG.jpg

Because the " Y " offset numbers are not what they should be &/or the texture is not marked as "lower unpegged" like it should be. The texture on that side is either in the ceiling or in the floor because of what the Y offsets are on the back side. If you change the back side to have Y; "24" & make the texture "lower unpegged" it will show up for it's shift right in the spot that it should be in.

t3hPoundcake said:

Is it "normal" to make a copy of my doom2.wad and then just put all my resources in there and load that as the resource wad? This stuff confuses me.

No, this is the wrong way. Not only it's a terrible waste of file size, but modified commercial IWADs and their contents are actually illegal to distribute. The right way is to create a PWAD containing custom resources (not any IWAD ones), then distributing the PWAD. Players who own the IWAD will then be able to load the PWAD together with the IWAD. The game will "virtually" merge the IWAD's and PWAD's contents upon being launched - that is, in the game's RAM only, without modifying the files, and each time over again, automatically.

By which you mean, a 3D poly object which the player can stand on?

If no, not really. There is a 'trick'to do it, there was a 3D lift example which moved across the room in all angles. It used a set of mid textures and/or a 3D model and used scripts to move the player I believe. I'm not sure where the was for this is though.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Is there a good trick to make walkable PolyObj ?

You can, however keep in mind that if they move, they will not carry whatever is above them (such as the player). Also the emptiness of their top will be seen.

Gooberman made a few moving platform demos that you can find on /idgames if that's what you want to achieve.

Dragonfly said:

Yes, that's it, Really need this, is such thing possible with ZDoom or GZDoom ? thanks.

Gez said:

You can, however keep in mind that if they move, they will not carry whatever is above them (such as the player). Also the emptiness of their top will be seen.

Gooberman made a few moving platform demos that you can find on /idgames if that's what you want to achieve.

I don't need them for Platforming map, Just some simple Blood map thingy, Could really use a tuto or something.

EDIT : I think i found it, I'll have a look.

Though the downside is that there's no Flat above it, making it look odd, Too bad.

Dragonfly said:

If no, not really. There is a 'trick'to do it, there was a 3D lift example which moved across the room in all angles. It used a set of mid textures and/or a 3D model and used scripts to move the player I believe. I'm not sure where the was for this is though.

That was the YouTuber "Chubzdoomer" that made a video about how to do that. I think it was called something like "moving 3D floors tutorial"

It's not what i'm looking for either, 3D Floors only move up and Down, Polyobjects can move Horizontally.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Though the downside is that there's no Flat above it, making it look odd, Too bad.

It might not be obvious at first sight, but polyobjects are not sectors, they are actually just linedefs. They don't render any flats - they merely draw their linedefs over normal linedefs and flats within the normal sectors they're placed in. Therefore, Build-engine style moving or rotating sectors can't be accurately done with them.

As opposed to the Build engine, vertexes in the Doom engine are bound to not move, to make Doom engine's rendering algorithm work. Polyobjects are just a partial, limited workaround. And they already do as best as they can. No other such workarounds exist (maybe linguortals would count as ones, but they are even more limited, visual-only with no physical interaction, and don't work in either Boom-based or ZDoom-based ports).

Just for completeness' sake, I'll mention that in SRB2, polyobjects have been wrangled into real moving 3D sectors, with floors and ceilings. Too bad that you can't use it for playing Doom, though. :)

Question:

Can I ONLY select all sectors that have a certain flat, for example the F_sky,
with a single command or a couple of clicks ?

I made a huge wad and for a large number of sectors i want the sky to be like 64
higher than it is right now. I'm not going to do it when it's gonna be all manual
work, but it would be nice to do if such a feature exists.

Both DB2 and GZDB have a "Find and Replace" mode that selects objects according to some criteria you give it.

Dreamphaser said:

Question:

Can I ONLY select all sectors that have a certain flat, for example the F_sky,
with a single command or a couple of clicks ?

I made a huge wad and for a large number of sectors i want the sky to be like 64
higher than it is right now. I'm not going to do it when it's gonna be all manual
work, but it would be nice to do if such a feature exists.

If they are all the same height; yes you can select them all in the overhead map & change the height. But if they are different heights; then you will have to manually raise each 1 the 64. You can do this in the 3D edit mode & click on all the ceilings & then when you have them all selected; THEN you can raise them all at 1ce.

I'm assuming you use doombuilder.

Hold down shift and then click (in 3d mode). In gzdb if look at the help options there is a list of various keyboard shortcuts.

edit: Also if you press f3 you can search varios stuff including sectors with a certain texture and then mass edit them.

Byeblothingal 1024 said:

If they are all the same height; yes you can select them all in the overhead map & change the height. But if they are different heights; then you will have to manually raise each 1 the 64.

No. If they are different heights, you enter ++64 into the Ceiling Height field, then boldly press OK.

MaxED said:

No. If they are different heights, you enter ++64 into the Ceiling Height field, then boldly press OK.

WHAT!? FOR REAL!? well shit lol im the 1 being helped here; that's great knowledge to know if that's true. So you're saying you can select them all in the overhead map, them being different heights; & enter in the ceiling height "++64" & it will do em all 64 higher?

scifista42 said:

Both DB2 and GZDB have a "Find and Replace" mode that selects objects according to some criteria you give it.

That really helped me out alot
Thanks guys ! So happy this community is still so vibrant.

Hello again, i have another question.
I have a door texture with transparent areas. Haw can i make door with this texture without visual bugs? I'd like to know method with zdoom feathures, if possible.
Previously thanks for answer.

Gez said:

Just for completeness' sake, I'll mention that in SRB2, polyobjects have been wrangled into real moving 3D sectors, with floors and ceilings. Too bad that you can't use it for playing Doom, though. :)

Interesting, too bad that underrated Fangame had them even before any famous Sourceport.

If turn on smart monsters via TNTSMART, what's the difference between "non-smart" monsters?