Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HorrorMovieRei

Specific Things in Doom that annoy you

generally, things like damaging floors that look like they're harmless first, cramped rooms, cryptic switches or ambushes are a mapper's choice and not a feature of doom itself.

(as for ambushes, i find them legitimate and not surprising when picking up an important item, the other 3 examples annoy me, but whatever floats your boat)

specific things in doom that annoy me are rather bugs (or features) of the engine, like

- certain rng effects that ruin a run, like killing a demon in one single punch, and them some imp taking 3 punches and still fighting back, while, even worse, standing in the way

- same as above when shooting a barrel to blow up some baddies, and ending up with the baddies riddled by bullets, and the barrel still standing

- rad suit leaking

- too much red from damage making one temporarily blind, or archvile flames blocking the view so i fail to find cover

- damn lost souls, should die from 1 shotgun shell. they have even more hp than imps, who are also much less annoying.

Guest Unregistered account

All future instances of Doom or games using any fork of the Doom engine must be played on a DOS PC that was manufactured during or before 1993 and must be registered via ID's ordering phone number advertised in-game.

^ I'll play:
All feedback on future Doom WADs must be provided on the alt.games.computer.doom newsgroup (or whatever it's called, I wasn't even born back then) or on your local BBS.

Kapanyo said:

All future instances of Doom or games using any fork of the Doom engine must be played on a DOS PC that was manufactured during or before 1993 and must be registered via ID's ordering phone number advertised in-game.

Can't we relax this requirement to at least include 1994? Ya know, with Doom II being released and all...

Maes said:

Can't we relax this requirement to at least include 1994? Ya know, with Doom II being released and all...

no, 1994 computers didn't exist in 1993

Melee attacks not working on larger enemies in classic ports due to the hitbox being at the centre of the monster, or something. Likewise, having to punch to the side for longer reach. I love how you can chainsaw spidertrons in ZDoom ports.

Doom:
1) Obnoxiously placed hitscanners, Doesn't even matter if they are on high pillars or below a staircase\shooting from the tiny space below a door.. All equally irritating!
2) Medic viles who revive barons\revs, I'd rather kill Arch-viles without cover over that shit.
3) "You had enough fun time to die to revs\cybers".
4) Non-linear maps where some paths are stupidly easy\have BFG while others are hell on earth.

Heretic:
1) Trying to snipe a disciple as he slowly drift backwards.
2) Ghost knight traps.
3) Phoenix shot passing through a disciple then getting hit by said disciple.
4) Having to fight an army of saber claws with the staff.

Hexen:
1) Taking a year waiting a centaur to stop blocking.
2) Taking 2 years hiding from the Heresiarch in fear of him casting shield again, not damaging spells!
3) Maps full of the projectile stalker variant.
4) Maps with a few million wraiths in them.
5) Seven Portals especially the guardian of steel.

Heretic looks tame compared to Doom and Hexen with the irritating stuff.

In very large slaughter fests am sure it is difficult to beat Hexen, Its own expansion demonstrates that!

I'm not a big fan of when modders get a bit carried away with open world/non-linear designs. What ends up happening is that you spend an inordinate amount of time running around cleaning house, then spend the next hour trying to figure out which damn switch or door or key you missed.

^ I see getting lost in a map as a flaw of insufficiently highlighted objectives, not as a flaw of map progression and structure design. If the mapper fills his map with clear hints of what the player is supposed to do next and how he's supposed to do it, any level design can work. My idea of these hints is that they do not force the player to follow them immediately, he may go elsewhere then where they tell him to, the point is that he notices them and doesn't become clueless about what he's supposed to do. The hints may also reveal only after becoming relevant (after the player completed the previous objective, or after he wandered around the map for too long without completing the current objective) and/or hide after no longer being relevant (after the current objective is completed). Such hints might be hard to implement, but large maps would benefit from them. My point is, don't blame non-linearity itself for getting lost.

^ Dawn Of Reality, which is really as non-linear as it gets, used camera textures on billboards to direct the player. Can't get more subtle a hint than that ;-)

From then on, it all depended on the player's real-life orienteering or following directions skills.

Combat-intensive places which are dark enough to make me raise gamma correction or sometimes brightness of monitor. Some maps of Final Doom have them and bothers me to go through all this.

All of these things annoy the hell out of me:

Getting killed by a rocket when it hits the 1 or 2 pixel space edge of my character.
Getting killed by monsters that come out of NOWHERE.
Obvious secrets.
Blowing up an explosive barrel that is right next to a monster... and the barrel doesn't kill the enemy.
Areas that are so dark that requires me to put my face against the screen to see anything!

molten_ said:

that one secret that requires you to walk over a linedef to lower a lift halfway across the map

or that one secret that lowers a lift that's barely noticeable because it's 8 unit wide
i'm looking at you, requiem ):<

GoatLord said:

I'm not a big fan of when modders get a bit carried away with open world/non-linear designs. What ends up happening is that you spend an inordinate amount of time running around cleaning house, then spend the next hour trying to figure out which damn switch or door or key you missed.

This is more or less the reason why I can't get into the later levels in Doom 2.

Agentbromsnor said:

This is more or less the reason why I can't get into the later levels in Doom 2.

Same. I'm glad I'm not alone when I say I'm not a big fan of the last half of Doom 2's level design.

Aquanet said:

The Quicksave shortcut is right next to the End Game shortcut

The quickload shortcut is next to the exit program shortcut.

GoatLord said:

Keep in mind that Doom 1 had a couple of convoluted maps too, like Mt. Erebus.

god i hate that map

Aquanet said:

The Quicksave shortcut is right next to the End Game shortcut

Sesq said:

The quickload shortcut is next to the exit program shortcut.

Maybe id was trying to tell us something...

Spoiler

Death to save-scummers!

Maes said:

Maybe id was trying to tell us something...

Spoiler

Death to save-scummers!

Then why remind the player to save often in the manual?

Coopersville said:

Naggers. As in players nagging me in co-op like I need instructions on how to kill demons.

People also tend to think that players ALWAYS use their best strategy and tactics, and not just play it a bit more casual or/and try something silly/odd/fun/new. You won't learn the game, if you stick up with the currently known best method.

Spectre01 said:

Then why remind the player to save often in the manual?

Define "often" ;-)

E2M8, the Cyberdemon getting stuck in one of those little cubby-holes surrounding the center structure and being totally unable to leave. :/