Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
t3hPoundcake

Lift made out of multiple sectors

For epic detail I made a lift that's composed of 10 separate sectors. They are all the same floor height. It's not some ridiculous shape either it's just an octagon with some wooden patterns on it and whatnot. When You active the lift (via walking over it) only the one sector goes down, leaving the rest not activated.

All sectors and the linedef are tagged the same. The trigger is walk over repeatable, lower to lowest adjacent floor, wait 5. Is this even possible to do or am I retarded?

If a linedef triggers an action on a tag that belongs to multiple sectors, then each of the sectors will be affected by the action independently on the other sectors. In your case, each sector will check for its own lowest neighboring floor at the moment the action was triggered. Therefore, sectors whose lowest neighboring floors were not low enough, didn't move as low as you intended. You can fix this via dummy sectors to give the other sectors dummy neighbors with low enough floors, but multi-sector lifts have more flaws that make them problematique to use: When the lift returns up, and the player standing on this lift hits the ceiling by his head, the lift returns down - but just the one sector that the player stood on, not all of the multiple sectors the lift was supposed to consist of. Also, if you re-trigger the lift when some of the sectors finished their movement while others are still moving, the former sectors will be affected by the new lift trigger, but the latter sectors will be completely unaffected, leading to further desynchronization of their movement.

scifista42 said:

If a linedef triggers an action on a tag that belongs to multiple sectors, then each of the sectors will be affected by the action independently on the other sectors. In your case, each sector will check for its own lowest neighboring floor at the moment the action was triggered. Therefore, sectors whose lowest neighboring floors were not low enough, didn't move as low as you intended. You can fix this via dummy sectors to give the other sectors dummy neighbors with low enough floors, but multi-sector lifts have more flaws that make them problematique to use: When the lift returns up, and the player standing on this lift hits the ceiling by his head, the lift returns down - but just the one sector that the player stood on, not all of the multiple sectors the lift was supposed to consist of. Also, if you re-trigger the lift when some of the sectors finished their movement while others are still moving, the former sectors will be affected by the new lift trigger, but the latter sectors will be completely unaffected, leading to further desynchronization of their movement.

The only solution I've found aside from using scripts (which there's like no fucking docs on for some reason) is to do the dummy sectors like you said, but even when I try that it only lowers the outer-most sector (the wood outline of the lift). I'm not sure why, everything I've read suggests that if all the sectors are tagged as say 1 on the lift, and you set up the dummy sectors outside the map and tag one of them as 1, every sector on the lift should lower to the dummy sector's adjacent sector. It just doesn't work for me for some reason. Development of my map is sort of halted until I can fix this because I'm definitely not giving up these beautiful lifts! :p

http://imgur.com/a/CS7EQ

t3hPoundcake said:

scripts (which there's like no fucking docs on for some reason)

Excuse me? Also, ACS is a ZDoom-specific feature, not sure if you're mapping specifically for ZDoom.

t3hPoundcake said:

everything I've read suggests that if all the sectors are tagged as say 1 on the lift, and you set up the dummy sectors outside the map and tag one of them as 1, every sector on the lift should lower to the dummy sector's adjacent sector.

Make a dummy sector for each sector that the lift consists of - so that there will be as many dummy sectors as how many sectors the lift consists of. Join each of the lift sectors with its own dummy sector (select the lift sector first, dummy sector second, and use Sector mode -> Join sectors). Given each dummy sector a neighboring sector, and set this neighboring sector's tag to 0 and floor height to the correct level that the lift is supposed to descend to.

scifista42 said:

Excuse me? Also, ACS is a ZDoom-specific feature, not sure if you're mapping specifically for ZDoom.
Make a dummy sector for each sector that the lift consists of - so that there will be as many dummy sectors as how many sectors the lift consists of. Join each of the lift sectors with its own dummy sector (select the lift sector first, dummy sector second, and use Sector mode -> Join sectors). Given each dummy sector a neighboring sector, and set this neighboring sector's tag to 0 and floor height to the correct level that the lift is supposed to descend to.

Idk how I didn't come across that wiki page with all my searching and browsing, but thank you. I wasn't going for ZDoom compatibility but I don't see any harm in it. Until I do some research on ACS I found a temporary work around, I just put 1u sectors inside each of the pieces of the lift. It's dark enough to where you can't see them but I definitely don't want something like that in the final version, whenever that may be. Anyway thanks for the help I appreciate it!

One thing you can also is open up paint and replicate the floor pattern you have made in doombuilder and port your new picture as a new texture. This you can just make one sector with the correct shape and paste the new texture onto it.