Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

Gez said:

Nobody (except perhaps the admins) can attach screenshots here, so imgur away.

So that's the reason. Thanks for the info. (But when do I get custom avatars?) Here was my thing. Sadly, a lot of old screenshots were lost on my old computer, some dating back to when I first got into the game, around November of 2015. Enough reflection, here's some stuff:

At this time I was listening to nothing but Nine Inch Nails. My music tastes have diversified since then but this image brings back strong memories of those days. I remember being up at 5AM playing Simplicity and listening to the Broken EP. No screenshots, however. I don't remember what wad this came from, there were a lot of maps that used this texture set of vines in the later maps and there were a crapload of monsters. I think it's scythe2? Would make sense considering timestamps on the screenshot, and the following one which I know was from it. This was from 5th August 2016, 5:03 AM. Did not have healthy sleep habits then.

My memories here are not musically associated. The reason I grabbed this was probably because one of my first online experiences was playing on this map, which was one I found very visually impressive at the time. (I'm kind of a graphics junkie with Doom. I'm aware of the irony.), and when going through the Cacowards I had recognized what this was and was like OH SHIT! THATS COOL! The marines and other guys wailing at you highlights the danger that map held, but considering my health and armor, this was probably one of the times I went into iddqd territory. Shameful, but still reminds me of the awe I felt. It's from one of the later Scythe 2 levels. Taken 5th August 2016, 5:50 PM. I had probably slept between this and the previous screen.

Now this image is in 4:3, and that's because at the time i had this window to the right of my screen while watching Bojack Horseman on the left. I do have dual monitors, but one of them is from my old, old computer, and it's like 1280*1024, and this desk isn't that wide... I don't like using it. There's probably some symbolism here. I don't know what mod this came from, but it was over a toxic pit and there were high cages and bridges a lot. Taken 9th August 2016, 11:06 PM.

This one is from Crusades, and was taken VERY recently. I had wanted to show it to some friends on Discord, and we were all like "woah" "so cool" "it looks amazing". The rest of the WAD did not follow suit and I was unimpressed.

Those are the ones I have that I wanted to share mainly.

Should be here more often...

This is still going, but progress has been slow... not really sure what to do about blue colors in red lighting, looks maybe kinda wonky.

Jimi said:

Should be here more often...

This is still going, but progress has been slow... not really sure what to do about blue colors in red lighting, looks maybe kinda wonky.

what is this mod? It looks like Doom and an old 90s PC RPG got hydraulic pressed together.

I like it.

Mechadon said:

Hey AD_79, that does look quite awesome! I can't really tell from your screenshot, but you should be able to get away with using some of the dark blues as a way to pad the purples as they fade to black. I did that with the sky I made for my 50 Shaded of Graytall map, and it gives you a bit more depth to work with. It still won't make those colors look good in darker areas though, probably :P

Thanks Mek! I've been using some of the dark blues already, but I'll definitely try and rework the sky texture in particular to look better :)

A different area of the same map:

Jimi said:

Man, there's just so much visual noise in these screenshots. It's gotten to the point where a lot of it just looks like pixel vomit.

Got them all!

I wonder what other group picture challenges we could have. Can you make a screenshot of all arch-viles from Plutonia Map11? (excluding the exit ones) Many bonus points if they are all alive.

^ Amazing how many Cacodemons are in that one small and non-gimmicky IWAD map. I wouldn't believe the screenshot's authenticity without checking the map myself.

Demo or it didn't happen. ;-)

You can attract them all in this area. It's harder if you don't use God mode.

I love the realism that you and Z0k convey in your maps, DMPhobos; those shots are awesome.

Sesq: Thanks. It's my game CyberShade.

Arctangent: mmm... The next screenshots are probably no better :P

AD_79, Rayzik: Almost like 2 berries.

DMPhobos: Maybe it needs some lightsources, otherwise pretty solid cool.

Still don't know if it should use the high or lowres. Changed palette colors again. Tinted the grey more violet. Darkest green now turquise, so it'll work as a dark blue. let the other greens be greens. Maybe I tweak it some more. There's some static vertical fades on the walls.

^It is like I am watching fever dream. Is there a youtube video of this wad in motion ? Heck, I could barely stand watching a gameplay of DOS Decent on youtube without feeling a slight motion sickness but I'm going to power through this.

Jimi said:

-snip-

pretty sure this is what it would look like if they somehow ported doom to the gameboy color

nevertheless, it looks cool, in a weird sort of way.

Cyanosis said:

Yeah I really like the bloom effect, like brightmaps and dynamic lights in general I find it hard to turn off.

I should probably have chosen a different shot to emphasis the ambient occlusion, which is what I'm most excited about since it really adds depth to even simple scenes.

I think the bloom effect needs a slider, so it can be toned down to soft glow. I like that it's been implemented but it's a bit intense at it's present setting, creating distracting effects such as the Doom Guy's fists glowing.

Interestingly they've opted to remove the sliders for dynamic lights, which I would previously set at 50% strength to soften the effect. On the other hand, removing them helps to standardise how they will effect a scene, and they've added a separate slider to effect weapon lighting, which previously was tied to dynamic lights. But I'll probably have to make a custom lights.pk3 to recreate exactly the look what I want.

Brightmaps are great, and remain unchanged. Seeing a Archvile or chaingunner light up in the dark was always a cool effect in GZDoom, and really helped the sprites feel more 3 dimensional.

On the whole I'm pretty excited about this update, since it effectively brings GZDoom up to the same visual fidelity as Doomsday. (Doomsday is still slightly more advanced in that it does some smart clipping of dynamic lights to stop them bleeding through walls and under doors.) And there's additionally a whole bunch of stuff, I haven't really looked into such as new portal code and Z-script.

DoomLover234 said:

Guess the Doom-ified map.

E1M1 of Heretic. Nicely done, by the way.

antares031 said:

E1M1 of Heretic. Nicely done, by the way.

True! Thanks, I spent hours retexturing the map. I kida went with the "What if the level took place in the Doom era? How would it look there?" And, it's not a simple retexture. I've made some layout changes and put all three keys in the map.

DMPhobos said:

Here's some progress for a construction zone map, quite unfinished, but im getting there...

Where could I get those textures?

Sayok6 said:

Where could I get those textures?

You can got thousands of textures here;

http://realm667.com/index.php/en/

click on the "repository" tab at the top & then click "texture stock" to see & download them. I have been using these textures for over a year & theres more than you could ever use in just 1 year.

THEN to add them to your wads you can do it with this program here;

http://slade.mancubus.net/

that program is a hell of a lot easier & user friendly than XWE. XWE is a kick to the nuts & fuck to the ass compared to Slade 3

DoomLover234 said:

True! Thanks, I spent hours retexturing the map. I kida went with the "What if the level took place in the Doom era? How would it look there?" And, it's not a simple retexture. I've made some layout changes and put all three keys in the map.

Fun fact: I actually have in mind to do a switcheroom maps of E1M1 from doom and heretic, and do the same thing with Doom 2 and Hexen MAP01!

Your map looks pretty cool btw, you made a good job!