Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

Voros said:

If turn on smart monsters via TNTSMART, what's the difference between "non-smart" monsters?

Is that just another way of saying "fast monsters"? because if so; it means the bullet & shotgun shooting monsters are more accurate, they shoot more often, they're slightly faster & most of all; THEY JUST DON'T GIVE A FUCK! "predicting monsters" is fucked up though, have you ever played with predicting monsters turned on?

I'm not talking about fast monsters but smart monsters. I would like to know the difference between normal and smart monsters, and whether its an advantage or disadvantage to have it active.

Could you further specify what "smart monsters" and "TNTSMART" are? I couldn't find anything about that within a few minutes of googling.

TNTSMART turns on a thing where monsters will remember their last target, e.g. if they get into an infighting battle and survive they will immediately turn back to chasing / attacking you instead of possibly going idle. In the menu it's listed as "Remember Previous Enemy".

Albertoni said:

Could you further specify what "smart monsters" and "TNTSMART" are? I couldn't find anything about that within a few minutes of googling.

It's a cheat code found in Boom ports, like TNTEM, TNTFAST etc

Linguica said:

TNTSMART turns on a thing where monsters will remember their last target, e.g. if they get into an infighting battle and survive they will immediately turn back to chasing / attacking you instead of possibly going idle. In the menu it's listed as "Remember Previous Enemy".

So it only activates Remember Previous Monsters, or all the other options too? I had this smart option turned on by default via TNTSMART, but I disabled it thinking it didn't do much. I could go for a challenge right now, so I'll probably turn it on again, with the rest of the options too.

Thanks!

So it's hard coded into the engine? I was hoping maybe there would some kind of lump that tells it which track to reuse.
Well thanks again.

Voros said:

So it's hard coded into the engine? I was hoping maybe there would some kind of lump that tells it which track to reuse.
Well thanks again.

There's MAPINFO...

Alternatively, if by "Boom" you mean "PrBoom+" then you can use MUSINFO and place a music changer in the player's start sector.

Question:

Is it possible to have something trigger when a batch of monsters die?
For example 4 imps have to die before a revenant spawns.
If possible, How? I know nothing of scripting, really nothing at all.

Dreamphaser said:

Question:

Is it possible to have something trigger when a batch of monsters die?
For example 4 imps have to die before a revenant spawns.
If possible, How? I know nothing of scripting, really nothing at all.

YES it is. What you do is click on the 4 imps & then click on the "Action" tab & in the Action section put in whatever you want to happen like "23 floor lower to lowest floor" & then add the tag & then tag the sector with the same tag that you want that to happen to. When the tagged monster dies it triggers the action. Otherwise if you click "Dormant" on the monster; they won't move & to cant shoot them & they can't attack you unless you have a line or other monster do action # 130 "Thing Activate" in which the statue of the monster; springs to life with a blood curdled pissed off rage out for your blood.

Assuming your map is in Hexen format or UDMF and you're using a ZDoom-specific editor configuration, you could write this ACS script:

#include "zcommon.acs"

script 1 (void) {
    static int i;
    i++;
    if(i==4) {
        SpawnSpotFacing("Revenant",2);
    }
}
Then give each Imp an action ACS_ExecuteAlways with first argument set to 1, and make a spawn spot with tag 2. This will result into the following behavior: Each time one of these Imps dies, script 1 will be executed, increment a variable (whose initial value is 0), and if the variable equals 4 (which means that 4 Imps have died), spawn a Revenant onto a spot with tag 2.

Thanks Scifista42

That worked like a charm.
I tried replacing the action now with a lower floor, worked as well.
I understand the logic of what u are saying how it is functioning,
but I have no clue how to create this logic on my own using a blank scriptpage.

Guess I'll have to look up every symbol and every word before i can.

ACS has 2 parts: Syntax, and specific functions. First and foremost, you should learn just the syntax. Once you understand it, you'll be in principle able to write any script. Then, anytime you'll want to write a specific script, you'll search ZDoom wiki for specific functions with names that sound like they might be related to your envisioned behavior, read up their descriptions and use them accordingly. Function names tend to be easily searchable, and they're so many that you'd never memorize all of them anyway.

Can you help me up with that, I've created a new player class that jumps to a specific state at a different speed, But it doesn't seem to work, according to the zdoom wiki speed DECORATE Expression was added in 2.8.1, However it won't work:

TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIf(speed == 1.3, "Run")
Script error, "wiw.pk3:actors/player.txt" line 41:
Unknown identifier 'speed'
Edit : Neh, turns out I accidentially launched an earlier ZDoom version.

Just so you know, it doesn't matter because it's not going to work anyway. You need to read up on what the Speed property is exactly. It's a set value, it doesn't change during the game, so you've got the same speed whether you're moving or not...

What you want is to have the player's velocity. You'll get that with sqrt(velx*velx + vely*vely + velz*velz).

Also you shouldn't use == but >= because if the player's velocity goes from 1.29 to 1.31 directly, it'll never trigger your == 1.30 check.

Of course, you'll have to change the value, by the way. IIRC, a running player has a velocity of about 160.0.

Is it me or do Lost Souls get stuck during a charge attack over a gap in the floor with a height transfer? I've added some -512 height aesthetic cracks and made them the same height as the adjacent floor. Boom format.

You should check and make sure that you didn't introduce an invisible lower ceiling height via the same height transfer!

Charging Lost Souls collide with things, even non-solid things such as corpses and pickups, and even when they are far below or far above them (at least when infinitely tall actors are enabled). Weren't there any things in your Lost Soul's path?

EDIT: It might be possible that height transfers actually affect them that way, though, I vaguely remember reading something similar before, but I could be wrong.

Well, there were certainly plenty of corpses around. Didn't notice anything wrong in QZDoom so it must be GLBoom's infinite height shenanigans.

Engine behavior of ZDoom based ports differs from that of classic ports in extremely many ways, so I wouldn't say it must be a fault of infinitely tall actors in particular just because it happens in a classic port but not a ZDoom based one.

Myth busted boys. It was in fact pickup items that were messing with them in GLBoom+. Did a test map and a height transfer sector has no effect and neither does a row of Cacodemon corpses. A row of Shotguns though is enough to block their charge until they slowly float over them.

This is probably related to the engine, but I think this thread is suited for it.

I was playing MAP02 of Doom 2 again and the strangest thing happened. After opening the second gate, there is a shotgun guy next to barrel. This shotgun guy seemed to be stuck. Why did this happen?

"On your way to the blue key, one Sergeant (thing 85) situated near a barrel on a platform south of the main tunnel is immobile due to being partially inside the southern wall."

It's a very well known bug.

Voros said:

This is probably related to the engine, but I think this thread is suited for it.

I was playing MAP02 of Doom 2 again and the strangest thing happened. After opening the second gate, there is a shotgun guy next to barrel. This shotgun guy seemed to be stuck. Why did this happen?

Because he's stuck in the wall.

For some reason all the vertices and things have been moved around in that map a few times (if you compare historical versions of the Doom II IWAD) and not by the same amount so several things end up stuck in walls. That includes a few barrels and this shotgunner.

It's how the map simply is. The shotgunguy thing is placed too close to a wall. He can't move far-enough away from the wall within a single step (no matter which direction he moves, he will still collide with the wall in his next position), which makes him unable to move at all.

scifista42 said:

It's how the map simply is. The shotgunguy thing is placed too close to a wall. He can't move far-enough away from the wall within a single step (no matter which direction he moves, he will still collide with the wall in his next position), which makes him unable to move at all.

http://i.imgur.com/DrR9OrE.png

haha reminds me of that cartoon "The Brave Little Toaster" when the household appliances are talking to the air conditioner & the vacuum cleaner sternly says "PLUS YOU'RE STUCK IN THE WALL!" & this completely undoes the conditioner's value in himself during his appliancehood administration & he explodes over it.

Importing textures in SLADE 3 to a wad, getting a strange issue here:

* Launched the texture editor in the new WAD, started a new TEXTURE1 when asked (loading from the base resource WAD)

* Launched the texture editors in each of the two WADs (GOTHICTX and CC4-TEX, FWIW). Copied all textures from GOTHICTX, pasted them into the new WAD's TEXTURE1; did the same with CC4-TEX.

* There are now a whole load of textures with duplicate names (in particular, all of the IWAD textures are now repeated *three times* in the new WAD's TEXTURE1).

SLADE3 will not let me delete the duplicates - selecting such a texture and clicking "remove" doesn't work, nor does right-clicking and selecting "delete". The texture preview visually vanishes, but if I click another texture & then go back to the one I tried to delete, it's back, and TEXTURE1 is not marked as needing to be saved, either, so apparently nothing at all really is happening.

What's going wrong here?

Edit: Seems like you can only delete textures while they are in "WAD order", not while sorted. Quite a pain. (At least you can RENAME textures while sorted, though.)