Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Valerio

A few attempts of walls and doors

The switches are interesting. I'd like to see them ingame soon.
The centipede is rad!
Everything else is cool, but I'm not sure about that second last one.

The switches and computer screens are nice as others have pointed out, but the doors will probably clash with the rest of the existing textures.

Would somebody save these images in a seperate mirror? Three of them are already gone.

Voros said:

Would somebody save these images in a seperate mirror? Three of them are already gone.

They're still there if I right-click them and open in new tab. My guess is Imgur is somehow imposing a limiter on loading so many images from a single forum post?

(Indeed, I seem to recall reading that Imgur seems to be imposing harsher limits in general on "using it for hosting" which is probably impacting forum linking as a whole. I'm guessing there must be some kind of specific agreement with reddit as they alone seem unaffected by the whole thing ...)

I just had an idea. Since most of these new textures for walls and doors have a distinct visual style, why not use them exclusively for let's say a secret level? That would help avoid a style clash and provide the opportunity for mappers to use them.

It would be a real shame to just discard these, they're very nice but not fit with the rest of the textures.

There are already so many lumps present in the IWADs (over 3000, at least). Vanilla limits allow upto 4046 lumps in one WAD. Let's not push it too much.

Although, I think those switches would be great to use on the Aquatex textures. Shouldn't be too hard to define a new set of custom textures in textures.cfg and make some Aquatex switch textures. I also want to see that Serpentipede screen used too, but that's it. The others feel too cartoony/lack grittiness.

Edit: Darn it, I forgot. Custom switches are aren't supported in vanilla.

Voros said:

There are already so many lumps present in the IWADs (over 3000, at least). Vanilla limits allow upto 4046 lumps in one WAD. Let's not push it too much.

It's not like the extra flats can't be used as a mod.

Also I'm slowly getting an impression that perhaps the Freedoom 2 IWAD should not also include the Plutonia Experiment/Evilution support by default and use up the freed up space for extra custom textures, while another IWAD could be used for the Final Doom asset support.

MrFlibble said:

Also I'm slowly getting an impression that perhaps the Freedoom 2 IWAD should not also include the Plutonia Experiment/Evilution support by default and use up the freed up space for extra custom textures, while another IWAD could be used for the Final Doom asset support.

That is a pointless idea. Final Doom was basically Doom 2 with a few extra textures. Only a few. Theres no harm in keeping it in there. Plus, if it were to be done, the build process would have to be edited to include Final Doom (meaning textures.cfg, simplecpp, buildcfg.txt, Makefiles, etc would all have to edited) so that it produces 4 IWADS. Unnecessary.

Plus, there's already the Aquatex textures in the IWADs. That's a lot of custom textures.