Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kontra Kommando

Pseudonym VS Reality

Do you think you are similar to your online persona in the real world? Or are you completely different in a flesh and blood social setting? Do you feel like your online persona has taken on an identity of its own?

EDIT: Sorry for posting this in the wrong sub-forum. I meant it for EE.

That's an interesting question. Online, I just express myself wholeheartedly or make stupid posts/comments/etc (i try to avoid doing this unless I'm plain bored and looking for trouble).

The fact that it's not face-to-face makes the job easier, as everything you write doesn't feel very personal. Plus, Doom has become one of my daily processes. I could talk about it all day. But alas, people would rather talk about the new FIFA/PES/CoD/Halo/etc and how the graphics is mindblowing and all that. That, and actual football related stuff, like a match that happened last night then talk about how this player did this and that at this time during the match etc etc.

In real life, I barely talk with anyone, unless I have an OK relationship with said person. Most of the time, I stay quiet because I got nothing to say, don't want to talk and just do nothing until something useful comes up. Yeah, I'm kinda unsocial.

Thus, most people don't know me on a personal level. We have this teacher who can give a brief analysis of our personality. One day, he decides to do so to most of the students. I asked for mine, he responded with a IDK. Whether the fact that people don't know exactly what my mind is like, is an advantage or not IDK.

If I wanted a gf, I'd probably be way more social than what I am now, but fuck that. Last thing I need is to ruin a girl's life.

/what did I just write?

Online I usually converse "just enough", like a random person.

In real life I barely talk, even with my family, because I don't like to be annoyed and I get easily annoyed by too many voices.

For me, there's professional reality me at my job, and causal reality me, when I'm not at work. My online persona is more like causal reality me. Though, I'm cool with my immediate-bosses, so I act a lot more causal around them. They're the same way. To the greater-organization we work for, we're more professional; with each other in the department, we're a lot more casual.

Professional reality me, is the least realistic me there is. I'm more like Kontra Kommando in real life.

Side-answer, but I respond to "Xaser" as naturally as I do my given name. Welp.

There's only one "me," though.

[EDIT]

Kontra Kommando said:

Though, I'm cool with my immediate-bosses, so I act a lot more causal around them.

Good to hear. Wouldn't want to cause a paradox.

I just say how I feel/what I think without bullshitting, which is also what I do in reality. You don't get anywhere close to the full extent of one's personality based on forum posts (Imo) but I try my best to just be genuine.

I'm basically the same everywhere, be it online or at work, wherever. Well on Doomworld I talk more about Doom and video games, obviously. But I like talking about anything really, as long as there are other people interested in listening to what I have to say. Which isn't always the case, lol. But hey, that's half the fun anyway. I'd rather speak my mind and be honest, even if it isn't necessarily what other people want to hear.

I'm a lot more open and honest in real life than I tend to be online. It's too hard to convey actual meaning, tone, or attitude through text, or even voice. I'm a very outspoken dude, I'm very open and honest with my friends and family.

It's the beginning of a good weekend when the answer to a thoughtful community discussion is a classic "you've seen it so many times it annoys the hell out of you" meme. I'm happy to lobotomize your intellectual pursuits whenever you need me.

If we are talking aditudes, pretty much the same. See, rush, do shit, get out. Do stuff no one dares to, like... I dunno, im still in high school, however noobish that may sound.

Alot of people praise me for my responsiveness and improvisation. Same can be said for my online persona. Altough a chaingun-wielding doomguy-helmet-wearing Kirby doesn't make much of a impression, I do have to manage some groups on Facebook. And that is hard unless you find constant racism funny or agree with alt-righters (im not bringing politics in, everyone is a crybaby at one point, even I, no matter how hard they call the other guy one, so no fuss pls. Its just a example). I mean, shit people do to prove their points! I know real life management and logistics are harder, but still, I overtalked, apologies.

Point is, pretty much the same. Just my online persona joins people in shooting stuff, real life persona has nothing to shoot with and nothing to shoot at.

I used to talk more online than I do now. I still talk too much in meatspace when I feel like being around people at all.

A lot of people seem to have an easier time communicating in text rather than speech. It's interesting. I wonder if the proportion of people who do that is similar to the proportion of literate people who historically preferred isolation and letter writing.

I remember posting some snarky comment on Facebook and my mum remarked that it seemed like something I'd say in real life, so I'd say I don't have much of an online persona.

i dunno...i know that i swear online, but almost never say the f-word or s-word in real life. i'd also say that, depending on the situation, i'm probably a lot meaner in real life, even though i try not to be. related to that, my self-esteem is also waaay lower, nearly rock bottom, in real life. here, it's a bit better. i actually feel accepted in this community :)

I like to think my online persona reflects the real me nearly 100%. I say "nearly" because I tend to not express sarcasm as much online as I do IRL, if only because it's easier to convey that in context with my tone of voice.

I'm more subdued in real life because I live in a restrictive society. It doesn't matter which and you can chose several to believe I am from. In those anomalous Netherlands where I live it is "Not Okay" ("NO") to say or joke about certain things and "The Thought Police" ("TTP") presence is pretty strong. Posting here allows me to say whatever the fuck I want. Thinking in several steps at the same time comes more naturally to me than I found it do to most. However I can not explain my reasoning and thoughts without thinking it through and this drives most people away ("you fucking robot") before I can open my mouth so I have no friends in real life. I guess I have no friends here either but at least I have someone to "talk" to.

My paranoid side says I should have gotten on a proxy and posted solely through it but I couldn't be bothered because it only matters in the short run -- I wanted to do more here than just post wads and disappear in the meantime.
Eventually my spelling mistakes and phrasing will reveal where I am from. Or you can ask Linguica to trace my IP. Either way works.

IRL, I'm pretty much a trouble magnet. It seems I have thing with authority, whence I can seem to be disrespectful at times. Youth rebelliousness, you might say. Why I'm like this, I'm not sure. One day, it might get me killed.

But then again, I mentioned that I'm not very talkative and typically unsocial, so I guess that's my countermeasure to avoid such a thing from happening.

In real life my self-confidence is 0. In the internet my self-confidence is 0.004.

When I text people, I usually spend minutes to make messages look appropriate and to avoid saying nonsense. Nowadays, though, I don't need to because I text nobody but my close friends. In reality, no matter who I'm talking to, I barely say anything at all.