Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom 3 Textures for Doom

I would totally like to use these with the Doom 3 weapons mod, the one where it makes all the weapons look like Doom 2.5 (honestly cannot remember the name at the moment). These are some nice rips, and I can only imagine the amount of work put into this.

_dt : It's cool to see this is usefull for some people and to see them in a map, thanks for sharing !
I found only one Hellish sky in the resources, I'm taking suggestions for the naming ... FSKY366 ? I'll search for more assets, but I fear I'll have to take a screenshot of the outside, ingame, and then convert it (or I can use some nasa Mars images as well, but it would fit better in RealMars.wad than in a doom 3 textures conversion)

Doom_RO : I'll stick to doom3 datas for now, even if Doom2016 skies are pretty cool.

Glalce : I'll try to make a pk3 (with the small ones by default, fitting the doom scale, and including big ones as HD alternatives, with animations and brightmaps).
This will take a bit of time as I'm a newbie in this domain and I need to learn all that stuff.

GoatLord : I have processed and uploaded 75% of the 256 colors versions the last few days, but there is still some garbage in it.
I found some new ways to convert some very problematic ones, so I'll do some updates. I still don't know what to do with the oversaturated reds and blues panels, I'm not happy with the results.

V3 and V3 Small uploaded

No worries about the sky if its difficult. Quickly converted the textures to doom format and some of the colour is indeed lost. Have also selected some for transformation into flats via resizing/tiling to the original 64x64 format if you're interested? Or are you already working on this

hidfan said:

I found only one Hellish sky in the resources, I'm taking suggestions for the naming ... FSKY366 ? I'll search for more assets, but I fear I'll have to take a screenshot of the outside, ingame, and then convert it (or I can use some nasa Mars images as well, but it would fit better in RealMars.wad than in a doom 3 textures conversion)

Most of Doom 3's cubemaps are in the folder "env" inside the file "pak000.pk4", you should take a look in there if you haven't already.

dt_ : I'm open to any collaboration, you mail me your stuff or I share the rights on the folder with you, you choose what you prefer =)

Arl : thank you ! How could have missed those O_O it's so obvious.

I'd be more than happy to work with you on this, I've been wanting to learn how to work with textures for a while now. Ill go through them and see if there are any more potential flats in there and pm it you early next week.

The screen I posted a few days ago was taken with zdoom (skulltag) using the OpenGL renderer. There's gotta be a way to get them colours to show properly in software mode

I have 17 years of Photoshop experience...if there's a particular texture or two that is looking really gnarly in the Doom palette, send it my way, maybe I could look at it.

Thanks hidfan for all your work on this. The textures are truly stunning. For those working conversion to classic DOOM:

1. Please realize that these are sometimes not made for either wall or floor; They can be for round pipes or a single texture can include 4 faces of a crate or other cube, etc. Please exercise some critical thinking in the conversion process and don't just copy them over 1:1. Just as hidfan worked hard to apply the Normals etc to these, you will have to work hard to repurpose them to a DOOM style texture set.

2. Please never ever use dithering to resolve palette issues. This has never looked good in classic Doom textures. Instead, tweak the source texture so that it better suits the classic palette before you convert. This too is time consuming work and it takes both technical skill and an exquisite taste in DOOM texturing.

3. Please take the opportunity to organize these in sets and themes. You do not have some code-of-honor responsibility to retain texture names or order; It's better for everyone in the long run if you exercise some scrutiny here and reorganize some of these to fit together better. Also, you don't owe it to anyone to include them all; Some simply won't make a whole lot of sense in the classic engine.

Case in point, some example with a door. Not saying the last step is done, but it shows that dithering is stupid and it pays off trying to tweak colors. It also shows masking, while tedious, is worth it:

DooM_RO said:

^

Wow, really awesome! Isn't that a Doom 3 door though?

Have you read the thread title?

Ukiro, what program are you using to produce those? I'm having a go at working with textures for the first time, and I've used irfanview to resize suitable images or tile them into a 64x64 square, so I've got the basics of image manipulation down, however the actual editing of images I've been doing is using the colour picker on mspaint and hand editing each pixel, with mixed results, mostly a bit shit as you can imagine. It's also taking ages. I have GIMP that I'm trying to learn to use but finding it difficult. Any pointers appreciated

I use Photoshop. Bought my first license in 1995, for v3.0.4, and have not looked back, 22 years later. Nowadays you can subscribe, the "photography" annual plan paid monthly is $9.99/month, i.e. you sign up for $119.88. You can probably do most of this in Gimp but I've never had a reason to learn that program.

Hand pixeling might have its therapeutic uses, but is not practical for something like this. You need proper tools.

What Photoshop lacks is an adjustment layer for 8-bit color; having to convert to Indexed Color each time you want to preview the palette conversion is very annoying. If Gimp can do that, it'd be a serious advantage.

Linguica said:

Oh my god get Paint.NET at the very least.

It just brings back happy memories of drawing a massive curly line and colour filling all the pretty shapes.

I've got so much to learn, my gimp knowledge is pretty basic. I touched up a couple of tiny parts of textures by hand and it became clear that there is literally no way anyone actually does this. Will keep trying with gimp for now and see how I get on

ukiro said:

Have you read the thread title?

Oh, sorry, I meant 2016. It looks like a door from the Foundry.

Linguica said:

Have you ever tried this sort of technique? http://danfessler.com/blog/hd-index-painting-in-photoshop

Interesting, but the "Gradient Map adjustment layer" seemingly needs to have every individual color defined manually, which sounds painful. I'll give it a go though.

EDIT: Due to how gradient mapping works, I don't think this is a viable option for a custom palette like this. It only works when you paint from scratch.

I'm half of V3 256 Colors. They are all uploaded, but second half needs revision (transparents are missing, I'll do them at the end)

I started to convert skies (Cube map to panorama, thanks to the awesome cmft studio).
I think the skyboxes will be used in the final version as zdoom supports that system, once I've learned all that advanced stuff.
I still need to find the best way to crop/distort the panorama to get a good feeling of depth with the "classic" sky texture method.

I have uploaded some tools I use, as a backup, and maybe these can be usefull for someone (see below Ukiro :) : the classic palette & swatches, but also LookUpColorTable, all found in this forum, photoshop actions, the substance designer project used to bake the textures.

GoatLord : My main problem is not really photoshop skills, but what is the best choice (for quality and speed, how can I batch a maximumu of things. I want to finish this !! :). For instance, I've finally chosen to avoid the pure blue colors and let them converted to grey. The blues are too saturated to fit anything else than dark or bright greys (as in the vanilla game) and don't fit the rest of the textures.
I've also lowered diffusion in V3. in V2 I used most of the time 30%. Now it's more 15%.
Actually, I'm converting the HighColor texture 3 times : without diffusion, with diffusion, with noise diffusion; then I blend the last two (15% each) over the first one and collapse everything and reconvert the result to the palette.
This breaks most of the time colorbanding without adding the ugly diffusion grain.

ukiro : in the tools I've uploaded there is a LookUp Color Table for photoshop (6+). I found this jewel in these forums (can't find the author :( ).
Add a ColorLookup adjustement as a top layer, and load the .Cube (DataRGB, TableBGR), it will simulate doom colors.
You can then work below this layer and have a good idea of what you'll get. This is really a life saver !!.

Here is my last attempt at the palettized door. Didn't have the balls to try that orange ^_^

You still have some stray pixels but those are few enough that they can be cleaned up by hand. I think it'd be worth doing an orange version of this too, since there's enough of these colors across other textures that you could build a whole orange techbase set.

Your level of dither here is so minimal that I think it's OK; I appreciate the care with which you go at this! My anti-dither rant is more directed at the 75% diffusion crowd.

The lookup table approach is neat, but it's still not showing exactly what I'll get. But big thanks for the file and info, I'll see if this can be improved. CUBE LUT's are plaintext so it should be possible to write one by hand, but Adobe's official spec is slightly daunting: "The values in the table shall be set so that tetrahedral interpolation will generate correct output values".

EDIT: And the fact that this texture has a grey X on it confuses me...

dt_ said:

Ukiro, what program are you using to produce those? I'm having a go at working with textures for the first time, and I've used irfanview to resize suitable images or tile them into a 64x64 square, so I've got the basics of image manipulation down, however the actual editing of images I've been doing is using the colour picker on mspaint and hand editing each pixel, with mixed results, mostly a bit shit as you can imagine. It's also taking ages. I have GIMP that I'm trying to learn to use but finding it difficult. Any pointers appreciated

I'm a big MS Paint nerd, the program is just so fast and user friendly that I just cant get away from it.

That said, I made some tutorials for good recoloring and minor edits that can be done very quickly and efficiently using MS Paint and Irfanview.

Details in this post:

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1674626

I've done some researchs about LUT creation.
I've been able to create more precise .CUBE. They almost look like the final paletized version (the photoshop 8bit conversion won't look the same, but almost, and applying the palette to these LUTs will make no change).
I've uploaded different cubes in tools folder : the bigger the number, the bigger the file and the more precise the preview (the less smooth gradients). doom14-256.cube is 205Mo uncompressed and takes ages to load, smaller ones are already quite efficient.
The first one I was using was keeping smooth gradients, it's 95% fixed now =)
Realtime preview of the final 256 colors, with all photoshop power ^_^

this one : https://github.com/mikeboers/LUT-Convert (a bit tricky, needs python and python image library to be installed).
16 and 17 cubes aren't readable by photoshop. I didn't try 15, 14 was enough. 12 aswell and is faster.
and this one :( makes 5 and 8 only, but easy to use)
https://generator.iwltbap.com/

workflow : generate a hald png texture (most of the time named identity), open it in photoshop, convert it to 8 bits per pixel, then to indexed colors (load doom palette), then back to 8bits then to 16bits. Save it to another name, and use the generator to convert this png to a .cube.

I'm getting giddy. The door is looking better and better. Really looking forward to this! I wonder if there are sprites, like decor, that would look good translated from the game to the Doom palette and scale?

Hello , I would like to know if there is any .pk3 file configured available for download ... I love these textures and I really would like to apply it on some user levels...thanks!!