Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GooberMan

So, what's GooberMan been up to lately?

I've been pretty quiet over the past few weeks. We got a big assessment for this course I'm doing (for those who don't remember or weren't around, the course is all about game development). We have to remake Scorched Earth in 3D. Because the teacher didn't realise that we have holidays next week, he set it to be due next Wednesday, but after discovering holidays were on, he gave everyone a one week's extension. Mine was one of the more advanced ones in terms of code (not showing some of the stuff on screen yet but it works properly), but now with an extra week I reckon I've got enough time to shift focus from Scorched Earth to more of a Worms in 3D. 10 days left, I reckon I could get quite a large chunk of it done.

If you're interested in seeing a pretty limited demo of the code at this point in time (all you can do is fly around using the camera - currently all keyboard input because I couldn't be bothered using the mouse even though I have the functions already set up - and watch the Scatter Bomb go off), download this and have a go.
NOTE: it is buggy in Windows 98. It works fine in Windows 2000. Yes, the collision code is a bit dodgy, but it works properly 99% of the time (I have a fair idea on how to fix it, will get around to it eventually). Yes you need a decent computer with a decent video card. If anyone has problems, just leave a post in this thread (I won't be back on these forums for another 2 days at least - 21st to attend tomorrow night). Constructive criticism is also welcome.

EDIT: DirectX 8.1 required. Yes the framerate could be better, I've turned off hardware vertex processing as my dad's GF2MX (and the GF2MX's at class) don't like hardware vertex processing and I haven't been bothered to implement an option to turn off hardware vertex processing at startup.

EDIT 2: That link no longer works, use this one instead.

Never played it.

UPDATE: Not only does my assessment have issues with Windows XP, I was just informed that other people in my class running their own code on XP is having problems too. I guess DirectX might be the culprit there, but that's just a "just heard of a problem, what seems to be the easiest solution?" guess.

I've uploaded a few more maps which show off the terrain deformations better (and the bug in the collision detection becomes really apparent if you leave it running for a while too). Extract this zip to the same folder you extracted the above zip to, tell it yes to all when it asks to overwrite files. The maps in question are accessible from typing in "nextmap" at the console (F12 activates and deactivates).

Ooo Scorched Earth I love that game :) I played it for hours on end quite a few years ago, but still not nearly as much as Doom. Heh I just found my Scorched Earth like 2 weeks ago, I play it alot, but still not as much as I do Doom.

It's slowly moving away from Scorched Earth and towards something more Worms-ish. The tanks are still there (the assessment wants Scorched Earth remade in 3D, so I'm assuming the tanks need to be there). You can now move (really needs some work though to look believeable, but hey, I whipped up moving tanks in half an hour so it's not too bad for what it does), and I'm going to try and get homing missiles done by the time it's due (about 7 days to go now).

Well heck, I thought you glued your hand to the wall or something. Don't forget SE's Funky Bomb. I love the Funky Bomb

Hey, Worms rocks, don't get me wrong, But Worms has been done for a while, so I wanna see the return of the tanks, but it still sounds cool. Funky Bomb/Nuke/Baby Nuke/Deaths head MUST return or I hunt you down :P

mmmmm...Death's Head..*drool*....mmmmmm I love using that, Its Suicidal sometimes but its kewl looking, I also get all other guys out with one hit if Im lucky and dont kill myself in the process.