Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moon Marin

Full Marooned Campaign

Hi doomworld,

I've completed my "Maroon Campaign," my first foray into building snapmap campaigns. I made about 8-10 stand alone levels before attempting this campaign. This is the culmination of about 2 months of work.

I love feedback, and I am very proud of my work on these maps. If you like lots of action, tiny threads of story to guide you, barrels, jump pads, mini-bosses, and no hand holding - you might enjoy this campaign.

For a full list of the campaign maps, see below :

E1M1 - Into The Fray : D44QPTKW
E1M2 - Wishing for Double : PT4CFCFG
E1M3 - Enduring the Scorcher : CHRG45CV
E1M4 - Welcome Home : LG6Q9UQE

Here is a screenshot gallery for those wanting to see more : http://imgur.com/a/0WrOr

Please let me know if you try any of the maps, and what you thought.

Thanks,
Moon

Wait wasn't the first level originally called 'Quiet Beginnings' or something of the sort? Unless I'm thinking of another in-progress campaign at the time but the custom outdoor start looks similar.

In any case, I'm going to try this in its entirety once I get a chance, and expect a more in-depth 'review.' I'm looking forward to this. :)

ShadesMaster said:

Wait wasn't the first level originally called 'Quiet Beginnings' or something of the sort? Unless I'm thinking of another in-progress campaign at the time but the custom outdoor start looks similar.

In any case, I'm going to try this in its entirety once I get a chance, and expect a more in-depth 'review.' I'm looking forward to this. :)

Yes, it's the same map (with some updates and improvements dice it's original release) under a different name. I changed it for the release of the full level set, I just thought it needed a better name.

Looking towards hearing your thoughts, shadesmaster

Alrighty, so I played through this one one good sitting... almost 2 hours altogether! Not bad, not bad at all. The pros most def outweighed the cons:

- nice, even flow between the maps.
- we get to meet Hayden in his office! (as an Echo of course)
- UAC personel placing markers cutscene (with a bunch of Echoes)
- good general pacing and powerup placement
- nice fluid use of both DOOM 2016 and classic music tracks.

* some areas got a bit choppy, noticeable at the very end with the classic custom geo right after.
* BFG makes things hella easy when you get it (good thing ammo pickups were limited)
* I wish there were more instances of intermixed custom geo, but whatever. :)

Overall, a good consistent atmosphere throughout with well thought-out monster introductions, encounters (like the campaign's sole Spectre being a boss, clever!), and hazards that obstructed your view (not in an annoying way, but strategically just *enough* to make key battles more difficult)

A recommended campaign through and through.

Thank you for playing ShadesMaster. I'm glad you enjoyed your time in the campaign. I agree with your major 2 criticisms, regarding the BFG and Lack of additional custom geo.

On the overall :

I really had a lot of fun building these areas/maps. Focused on trying to have relatively low overhead, and keep the maps simple. About finding keycards, killing demons, and progressing through areas for bigger battles and better guns. It's great that you were able to play through in one sitting. Poorly done snapmaps can be very tedious to play through, so seeing that you kept going until it was over is a great feeling for me.

On the criticisms :

BFG totally does make the last level somewhat easy, mostly because dying respawns you with full ammo. I think if you don't die, there is a proper amount of BFG ammo on that map especially since I encourage the player to use at least 2 rounds the moment they get it by spawning those 2 big waves of 12 high tier demons (no imps/soldiers/etc). I could disable respawning on this map but I think that would cause many people not to finish. So I leave it up to the player to abuse the BFG if they wish.

I think in total I only customized 2 modules using blocking volumes, it's really quite a pain in the ass and monsters don't navigate these areas well either so I generally don't see it as time well spent. But I know players really enjoy these areas, so I tried opening and ending the campaign in custom areas if only to check off the boxes to say I included them in some fashion.

Thanks again, I hope you had lots of fun.

You could make it so that when your health reaches 0, it's removed from inventory... so u only get to wield it if u don't die. In my campaign, I have it not only in a secret area but a secret LEVEL... but no takeaway system. #foodForThought :)

I wonder if players would be confused at losing the BFG on a death. I could see players back tracking to find it again, and if they couldn't they might get really annoyed.

On that train of thought, i've heard there are ways to track ammo/supplies between maps? Maybe on player death -> i can track the BFG ammo and restore it appropriately on respawn without affecting the other weapons.