Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

Post Your Doom Picture (Part 2)

Ok, turned the detail overlay textures off, but kept the specular and vertical fades on. Sure it's more clear... Well, maybe I tweak the detail textures to have less detail... just enough to give the impression that they're not 100% clean.

And here's one with an EGA palette... tried CGA too, but that one's not going to work with this, even if all 16 colors were used. Maybe this could be selectable.

floatRand said:

http://i.imgur.com/aRnNshI.jpg

Having jolly time mapping.

You can fix that kind of things with the "make sector" tool in (GZ)DB(2). Or pressing INS in sector mode everywhere with SLADE. Should get stuff back in shape eventually.

Jimi said:

Ok, turned the detail overlay textures off, but kept the specular and vertical fades on. Sure it's more clear... Well, maybe I tweak the detail textures to have less detail... just enough to give the impression that they're not 100% clean.

http://i.imgur.com/eu5cs0C.png

http://i.imgur.com/B9xURc5.png

That's still a bit messy due to the limited palette, but definitely more readable than it was with the detail overlays.

esselfortium said:

That's still a bit messy due to the limited palette, but definitely more readable than it was with the detail overlays.

Hard to give the amount of detail maps final thumbs up/down without seeing it in motion...

Btw Jimi - I really like the look of your project, it looks like an 8-bit computer on The Incredible Hulk steroids.

Soundblock said:

Hard to give the amount of detail maps final thumbs up/down without seeing it in motion...

Btw Jimi - I really like the look of your project, it looks like an 8-bit computer on The Incredible Hulk steroids.

It reminds me of that game "Streets of Rage" I think it looks a lot like that combined with the other game; Blake Stone.

Yeah when we see this game running at 120FPS, I'm sure everything will be fine. Maybe you could post an animated GIF? Try gifcam

Dunno if you played/liked Nex Credo and wanted something for Ultimate Doom with the same "Vanilla, moderate nice details but nothing crazy" thing going on but that's what I'm up to now.

Really challenging myself to do creative fight setups with the Doom 1 roster here.

I would play that. Seeing a Plutonia portal in Ultimate Doom is weird (it's like two worlds colliding) but I probably can get over it.

Plutonia portals remind me of the lamp thing in E2M4 at the top of that circular place. Looks good anyway.

Tried the gifcam. Showing the liquid animation, which use the overlay stuff even if otherwise disabled (maybe the shiny effect should be there too). Old looks vs new looks. Sure, the old looks more clear. Would like to use the new features for something more than just the liquids, it did take some month to get it working. And if I continue with the old clean look, what to do for the liquids, rocks and other nature textures? They don't look exactly clean.

http://imgur.com/a/zbiRO

I know there are some people that have complained about my DMP16 being too "puzzley" (and in general hate puzzles in Doom), so I've been tinkering with an idea I've had in my head for DMP17 in direct response to that:

Spoiler

Kappa

Jimi said:

I like the first look best, the green one you showed a page back.

Stapler said:

Might want to do away with those recesses in the floor since they'll make for some pretty bumpy movement. Otherwise, looks great :)

Haha, already dealt with that. I'm leaving them in because I'm using the "create fake floor and ceiling" special (242) so you basically "hover" over them ;)

More work on my project. I've moved it to Eternity, and what you see ahead is accessible through an edge portal which goes right under a larger building:

Sayok6 said:

Quite nice, what's the project called?

Thanks, it's called "Too evil" and it started as an MBF project for Doom 1 with extensive Dehacked usage.

Plan for 2017 is to actually finish some DOOM stuff. First up, this thing (spoilered due to file size):

Spoiler

Just finished reworking this room, fixing several irritating geometry quirks, and tidying up lots of little problems with the texturing and the lighting. All much neater now, and better optimised for software rendering with fake contrast.

At the moment it's okay on that front, thankfully - testing in prb+ there are currently only a couple that I've spotted to the sides of this room, and they're very small, so you have to be looking for them and moving slowly for them to show. But slime trails irritate me, so hopefully I'll be able to take care of these with some discreet vertex-wiggling, but that'll be the last thing I do since any other geometry changes can open up new trails and close old ones.

The damaged brown/pipewall looks like it could be better. Maybe some darkness/damage fade/border on the pipes too.