Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Battle_Korbi

What has Doom taught you?

Im talking everything Doom taught you. Be it from designing maps, from how you played the game, or some philosophical vision you gained from playing.

For me, I learned target prioritising, some timing, which cover to take and when. This vastly improved my gameplay during other FPS games, singleplayer or multiplayer. And from map designing, I figured out why people like to put same cliches into their maps and why people often call them the best. It's the pacing! Once the player gets into a rhytm, then you put up crazy stuff you like or felt a need to put in.

So what did you learn today, kids?

well, from doom itself, i got a helluva lot better at video games...pretty proud of that. also taught me that doom is the greatest game of all time and that's an undisputed fact my own opinion.

it also introduced me to the doom community, which is legit one of the nicest communities i've been a part of.

Doom taught me what fun in FPS is really like. And how everytime I load it up, I don't get bored at all, unlike other FPSs I've played.

Getting back into Doom recently taught me just how bad I am at Doom. But also that they are still one of if not the best FPS games ever made.

It has also taught me how much I enjoy game design and creating maps.

How to be self sufficient. You are the only one that can do something about a problem.

Piper Maru said:

It has taught me that whenever I see an important item, be aware, because demons might ambush me.

This is why shopping for new high heels is such an issue for me. The demons and the voices in my head... It's madness... ;-)

DOOM taught me a thing or two about hand to eye coordination, it probably improved my abilities to anticipate movements, as well as it trained my long-term memory and my reflexes. Whenever I play a map that I have always enjoyed, I always remember what's where, and what happens when.

I'm sure there are a lot of things that I forgot to mention, but the one lesson I appreciate the most is that DOOM, or anyother video game, does not improve me as a real life person. That is something that also needs "training".

That older games can do a lot of things much better than games over 20 years later, and that a lot of neat features and ideas have been lost over time. It's a shame to see stuff from the likes of Doom, Quake, or Half-Life be overlooked by developers because we've turned game design into a "check the box" process, rather than making art.

I've learned basic graphic editing while modding for Doom and that has been quite useful for many other things, even work :)

^Darch beat me to the punch with bringing in all the skills acquired through the many "Doom related shenanigans".

Thanks to Doom directly:
- I have a strong interest in the FPS genre
- I have 'above average' skill and can pick up new FPS games and play on the harder difficulties immediately
- I, like others here, have greatly increased my skills and hand-eye coordination.

Thanks to Doom mapping:
- I have greatly advanced my pixel art skills
- I have greatly advanced my texture art
- I have become skilled in the art of level design
- I have progressed in my web design skills to portfolio my maps (which eventually led to getting a job as a web designer)
- I have become interested in and learned basic music production (MIDI, mostly)
- I have learned how to record and edit videos (again to portfolio maps)

Thanks to the Doom Community:
- I have discovered numerous other games
- I have discovered many new bands / artists
- I have had hundreds / thousands of hours of entertainment, thanks to everyone's works and continued discussion.

All in all Doom has taught me how to have a good time. :)

More than anything Doom has taught me how design, aesthetics and objectives have to work in harmony for a gameplay experience to be worthwhile!

Darch said:

I've learned basic graphic editing while modding for Doom and that has been quite useful for many other things, even work :)

Same. Stuff I learned from editing graphic in gimp2 and photoshop have come in handy with work. Especially when editing PDFs.

I was also able to modify pong way before anyone in 3 separate doctoral cohorts could at a field trip/seminar. Me, the least educated person in the group, with only a BA in a totally unrelated field.

1. Defined my favorite genre of video game.

2. Made me adore 2.5D engines.

3. Got me to improve my skills on the hard modes in similar games.

4. Showed me the way to greatly extended life cycles beyond the original games in the form of source ports, new maps and gameplay modifications.

A lot of more modern FPS games are very easy compared to DOOM mods.
That in most cases, you CAN overcome difficult odds. Such as being up against 1.5k monsters.
Things aren't always as they seem to be. I particularly enjoy maps with a very silent atmosphere plus a huge trap.
How to use an internet forum - without DOOM I wouldn't be on forums period.

Doom has taught me to search for secrets by walking up to walls and making a grunting noise.

Still on 0% secrets at this time...

Doom taught me lots but to point a unique lesson, it taught me that the right amount of "uncertainty" keeps a game fresh and interesting. You can know the mechanics and every monster like the back of your hand but always be challenged, witness unpredictable moves and feel like you overcame crazy odds in Doom. An attribute most fps games struggle to provide.

Piper Maru said:

For the life of me, I still can't figure out how to pick up items by walking over them.

When you get close to the object, do a rainbow to throw the object in the air and catch it with your hands :D

I'm cautious whenever I pick up keys!

Piper Maru said:

It has taught me that whenever I see an important item, be aware, because demons might ambush me.

That too!

I almost forgot, if you're ever greeted by an angry skeleton with rocket launchers mounted on its shoulders, exercise shotguns.

I joined the community when I was a child which has introduced me to a lot of intelligent people over the years, so by proxy, a hell of a lot actually. As far the game itself though, it has taught me a lot about how games function under the hood and as a result made me view video games in an entirely different way.