Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catoptromancy

Vanilla Bugs and Fixes

Voros said:

That kinda reminds me of map29. From the automap, you can tell the whole map is one big square. It would be better if it wasn't such a perfect square, or at least kept the walls hidden in the automap.

You may be correct, but let's not forget that this map already has problems with the amount of drawsegs, so I doubt much can be done here. Hiding the lines should be good enough, although that won't help you with all those newfangled ports that feature a textured automap... ;)

Graf Zahl said:

One word about the NexCredo maps. While they are overall perfect substitutes I recommend changing the exit teleporter. This mod uses the same style as Plutonia and that immediately stands out in the project as a whole.

The teleporter pads I have been aware of since day one. Even map06 has one. In time, everything will be fixed.

Graf Zahl said:

You should also consider moving the new MAP31 to MAP32, I think that one with its Cyberdemon overkill is better suited as the super-secret - it may be a bit hard to add a second exit into that small level anyway.

Map32 is at least better than the current map31, hence the priority goes to map31 first. IMO, map32 can be overkill too.

Nex Credo's map11 would suit nicely for map17, don't you think? And Sinister Intention's map06 may or may not go with map24.

Voros said:

Map32 is at least better than the current map31, hence the priority goes to map31 first. IMO, map32 can be overkill too.

It was just a thought when comparing both maps that swapping them may give a better result. The new MAP31 shares some properties with the original MAP32, i.e. it's small, doesn't have many monsters, but a few very hard ones instead. The current MAP32 is somewhat more traditional so putting that into the super-secret slot is maybe not the best idea. And it's easier to add a second exit there, think.

Voros said:

Nex Credo's map11 would suit nicely for map17, don't you think? And Sinister Intention's map06 may or may not go with map24.

I think Sinister Intention's MAP06 is a great map overall but may be a bit small, and that stupid teleporter maze already annoyed me the first time I played that mod.

Catoptromancy said:

MAP22 submission. Outside area not as jagged, epic ceiling not as epic, stairs not as stairsy, fully vanilla(hopefully). Monster spawner is vanilla and functions as normal, though not as nice.
http://www.geocities.ws/catodemos/freedoom/catoptromancy/map22_c6.wad
http://www.geocities.ws/catodemos/freedoom/catoptromancy/fd2-map22-v1.lmp

While I was toying around with the door near the stairs you mentioned - what I was trying was to raise the sectors around the door a bit - I got one visplane overflow while looking out of the window north to the door, none of the parts I had been editing were visible at that moment, but for one brief frame Chocorenderlimits flashed and showed 129 visplanes.

Unfortunately not. It was just one short moment for one frame while in motion. I haven't been able to reproduce it afterward yet.

Not of actual VPO, but just in what area you were standing and general direction looking. I think almost all stairs were edited.

Small areas I try not to touch, but map's small areas mostly had big windows into big areas.

I was in the room north to the door by the stairs in the western part of the map, looking out of the window just wildly moving around trying to kill some monsters. None of the stairs by the door were in view when it happened.

Pressing F3 should return you to the highest visplane count position stored. The position should also be dumped in crl-log.txt, hopefully.

Nothing was saved, and I already quit. Sorry about that but it's not a tool I frequently use - especially since I was testing something else and this just randomly happened in a moment where I wasn't really looking at the numbers.

Oh, you gotta press F4 to dump into the logfile. Hmm, wouldn't it be nicer if that was done automatically on encountering new VPO peaks...

dew said:

Oh, you gotta press F4 to dump into the logfile. Hmm, wouldn't it be nicer if that was done automatically on encountering new VPO peaks...

Most definitely, it would...

Are there even enough slots to put these maps in?

I think if you find proper slots for the Nex Credo stuff the game should be complete. Which ones do you still consider replacing?

I am going to play through all those new maps. See which ones fit freedoom best. Most will work fine. Skill balance will be a little tricky. We need more big monster maps. Once I figure out the style of gameplay of these map sets, and monster types used, I can figure out the best slots for them. Some maps will likely need to be made harder or easier. A major shuffling of maps will happen at some time.

For now though, just getting vanilla maps in slots is priority.

***If anyone has suggestions about which map should fit in which spot, please post. If map is not fully vanilla yet, I can convert it. Picking slots is most important at the moment.
If a map is vanilla and tested to be exitable, please submit it.

NC's map03->map14
NC'a map10->map31
NC's map11->map17
SI's map06->map24
NC's map09->map13

Edit:
NC'a map08->map19

What are the main differences in each one? I'm assuming that you made some edits alongside demos.

My bad, I thought you did some edits because you provided links.

Can I just say for the record, that I enjoy map17 for its verticality? I love jumping of those buildings. A lot of the maps in Freedoom don't have such layout. It's a bit disappointing, really. This map might make for a good FreeDM map though.

Working on MAP17 right now, its great. I need to dig up some old rants about DM in Freedoom maps. If done properly, freedoom1 and 2 can be nice for DM.

Voros said:

My bad, I thought you did some edits because you provided links.

Can I just say for the record, that I enjoy map17 for its verticality? I love jumping of those buildings. A lot of the maps in Freedoom don't have such layout. It's a bit disappointing, really. This map might make for a good FreeDM map though.

Might be a good idea. That map is definitely better suited for multiplayer.

Graf Zahl said:

Might be a good idea. That map is definitely better suited for multiplayer.

Would be a great single and multiplayer then. The singleplayer maps should ideally be reasonable at deathmatch.

Also, with Protox's MAP11, Freedoom2 is now fully limit removing.

MAP22: Update. Removed 2 ceiling lights from crowded crate hall. Aligned step textures. Updated Map Submissions thread with new link.
http://www.geocities.ws/catodemos/freedoom/catoptromancy/map22_c7.wad

Graf Zahl said:

VPO

I ran around quite a bit, checking angles with doors open. Couldnt find anything. Maybe -record -nomonsters if you are looking for stuff. Posting the demo would be great, can see exactly where VPO happened.

On map18, the monsters don't appear in the water around the red skull key area, unless they are alerted via shooting. It can be a bit strange.

Catoptromancy said:

I ran around quite a bit, checking angles with doors open. Couldnt find anything. Maybe -record -nomonsters if you are looking for stuff. Posting the demo would be great, can see exactly where VPO happened.

Dunno if this is what Graf was refering to, but the pretty ceiling arch by the start definitely causes trouble.

Right in this corner it touches 128 and if you start running backwards into the corner, the screen sway can hit 129.

Then when looping back, this bit overflows with the door open...

http://www.geocities.ws/catodemos/freedoom/catoptromancy/map22_c8.wad

Hopefully this fixes it. Merged a few more outside vertexs, removed 2 ceiling lights in that room, and removed ceiling border.

EDIT> I noticed in Choco's resolution, the ceiling border is kinda pointless. It is barely noticeable but not really a feature and I dont think it really affect awesomeness of graphics at all. Thats a lot of extra lines for minimal affect.

...the ceiling border is in most rooms.