Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Quasar

Raven gives no response

As you probably expected, I have, as of yet, received no response from Raven's legal guy RE the Heretic/Hexen GPL petition, which I brought to his attention last weekend.

Its very likely that we won't see any action on the matter, which is too bad IMO.

My solution, however, is to develop Heretic support in Eternity without using Raven's code beyond looking for certain integer or string constants which would be difficult to ascertain otherwise. Eternity already had some Heretic/Hexen derived code in it, and I am now busy rewriting it completely as to eliminate any trace of being based upon the Raven codebases.

Once this effort is complete, it would be possible for other ports to replace portions of their own code with the pure GPL code from Eternity. I will be willing to let ports under restrictive licenses, like zdoom, use any of my Heretic code freely, so that they can slowly transition toward the GPL.

I doubt anyone is going to take me up on this offer though. I suppose I will write Randy Heit about it to let him know (if someone does not beat me to it), but he may not be interested since there's so many significant architectural differences between Eternity and zdoom at this point.

As you probably expected, I have, as of yet, received no response from Raven's legal guy RE the Heretic/Hexen GPL petition, which I brought to his attention last weekend.

Yeah, that's to be expected, I suppose. Just keep hammering Raven with e-mail till you get through. :P

Its very likely that we won't see any action on the matter, which is too bad IMO.

Yes, that is too bad.