Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

I think I found another song that sounds like E1M1

Sounds like a weird mix of E1M1 and E3M3. Then again, I guess there are only so many ways you can make Metal sound...or at least a particular style (INB4 "But is Metallica Metal?")

Maes said:

(INB4 "But is Metallica Metal?")

op pls edit "But is Metallica Metal?" into your post so he's not inb4 anymore

Do there exist midified Destruction songs? Would sound sick for a city episode.

I've said it before, but really, any riff pattern that goes "three of the same note then a higher note; repeat" could theoretically "BE E1M1!!!!!!" It's a pretty common riff. I don't think that this particular Destruction song sounds like E1M1 regardless. For me it'll always be No Remorse, which I'm pretty sure was the inspiration, and then "Hooked" by D.R.I. being the one that comes closest to verbatim.

GoatLord said:

Keep in mind that descending riffs that ride on the bottom E string are a common motif in thrash metal.

Actually you can even credit the e1m1 riff to Pink Floyd - Lucifer Sam if you want to dig even further back in time.

Eris Falling said:

That's a bit of a slippery slope though because before you know it, E1M1 was inspired by Vivaldi, and so it goes on, there's almost certainly older examples of "similar to E1M1" melodies.

Yeah that descending melody is definitely something that's found in a lot of classical music, good point!

Agree with an earlier post it sounds like a mix of e1 m1 and e1 m3. However E1 M1 is based off Hooked by DRI off the album crossover. On another note Destruction are awesome and put on a great live show :3c

TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

[citation needed]

Seriously, there are dozens of songs that E1M1 is supposedly based on.

yes but listening to DRI's hooked it the intro especially is note for note the same (except one is a midi file)

Cynicism said:

the intro especially is note for note the same (except one is a midi file)

"Hooked" by D.R.I. (I simply drew the notes as MIDI):

E1M1 from DOOM (converted with MUS2MIDI; I manually stretched the notes to visually fit onto the beats):

One of the notes is different (E1M1 has a B-flat instead of a B).

Hmm, "Hooked" is actually a closer match than Metallica's "No Remorse" (shown below; notes are from a MIDI version):

Edit: Here's a screenshot of a MIDI of Destruction's "Curse the Gods":

Spoiler

Also, here's a screenshot of the guitars during the second part of E1M1 (I haven't resized the notes to fit onto the beats, but you can still see what keys they are played on):
Spoiler

DooM_RO said:

What do you think?

That sure does sound like a generic heavy metal guitar riff.

GoatLord said:

Keep in mind that descending riffs that ride on the bottom E string are a common motif in thrash metal.

Right. This is the problem we had on the Doom wiki when trying to document the inspirations for Doom's music. E1M1 at once point had seven different bands listed, including obscure Russian bands, and none really had any convincing similarity other than being a repeated guitar riff. Basically every visitor to the page felt compelled to add another song by their favourite heavy metal band.

In the end we stripped out most of the speculation from the page and raised the standard for what we would accept. The songs that are still listed are ones for which we have compelling evidence (see this page for a carefully-chosen set of known inspirations).