Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lutz

Which Hanging Bodies DON'T Block Player Movement?

Forgive me if this has been answered before, but can someone point me to a convenient list of which Doom/Doom II hanging decorations do and do not block the player (when "infinitely tall actors" is TRUE)? Or do they ALL block the player?

If the decoration has only 1 variant, it is blocking. If the decoration has 2 variants, normal and blocking, then the normal one is non-blocking.

Follow-up: in order to walk beneath a non-blocking actor, is there a minimum height difference that must be observed?

In engines with no z-aware movement clipping you cannot walk beneath such actors at all.
In the other ones, the player's height of 56 will apply.

Lutz said:

Follow-up: in order to walk beneath a non-blocking actor, is there a minimum height difference that must be observed?

No.

Graf Zahl said:

In engines with no z-aware movement clipping you cannot walk beneath such actors at all.
In the other ones, the player's height of 56 will apply.

That would be a valid answer if the question was about blocking actors, but it was about NON-blocking ones. (Was this a misunderstanding, did Lutz quickly edit his post to change the question, or am I just missing how does that answer make sense?)

Blocking: 26, 27, 28, 42, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78.
Non-blocking: 10, 12, 15, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 79, 80, 81.

scifista42 said:

No.
That would be a valid answer if the question was about blocking actors, but it was about NON-blocking ones. (Was this a misunderstanding, did Lutz quickly edit his post to change the question, or am I just missing how does that answer make sense?)

I read "Blocking" but can't say if it was changed afterward or not.

So if you place a non-blocking one on a very low ceiling, it will look visually silly, as you can walk through it.

An easy way to check if you have any blocking ones on high ceilings is to look in the stdout.txt output by prboom-plus (you can just start the map in-game and then quit). It will list any such issues in an entry like:

P_SpawnMapThing: solid hanging body in tall sector at -1680,-264 (type=74)
Note that some of those it lists may not be actual problems - for instance if it is a location that the player can't reach in any case.

Grazza said:

An easy way to check if you have any blocking ones on high ceilings is to look in the stdout.txt output by prboom-plus

I don't generally use that port, but that's a great tip -- thanks.