• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom 3 Textures for Doom

Many thanks for this! this certainly will come handy for our project:

Before with the old textures:

Now with the new textures frm this thread:

many thanks for the effort doing this new texture pack!

The old floor was better, no? More detailed and dirty, just like real tiles should be after thousands of people stepped on them. The ones on the bottom pic look unnecessarily cartoonish in comparison.

That's the first thing I noticed too, perhaps it could use a big ass decal heh.

I ended up making a bunch of brightmaps of these last night, well most of the light textures anyway.
Haven't made a script for them yet though.

"dumb" question. I downloaded a .zip and uncompressed it. as a result I got a huge pile of .png files with all the textures. how to I fit all this in a .wad to be inlcuded as a resource for my own pwads? could I have a 'map-less' wad with all the textures, and have that be a requirement for my pwads?
btw, to the OP, you're great man, this work is enormously appreciated, thanks a million!!

I'm currently in the middle of fixing all the light textures up as brightmaps. ~ and a few of the lava textures.
They are mostly done as well as the scripts for them and texture script.

I already have this texture project in pk3, so when ready (probably later tonight) I'll send the .pk3 to the project holder.

It will have all the textures as well as new brightmaps included.
From that point it can be easily loaded up in DB2 or GZDB.

Here's a quick and dirty screen:

To get the idea, you'll see a standard doom light flat texture to the bottom right, which isn't a brightmap.

~ I know I need to update my QZdoom..

DooM_RO said:

Sweet mother of Jesus!!!

How long did it take you to make those?

They're from Darkmoon, we just changed the textures

Also mr. Rocket, those brightmaps look fantastic

Hey thanks!

I know I was saying that I'd have them ready tonight, well it's going to take much longer, maybe a couple days, hopefully sooner!

It's just that the scripts will take longer. I didn't realize there were so many file names to write the texture scripts for.
Wish there was a file name to script batch converter about right now heh.

Will of course let you know when I have them ready though.

Cheers

DMPhobos said:

They're from Darkmoon, we just changed the textures

Also mr. Rocket, those brightmaps look fantastic

Is it reasonable to assume that Darkmoon is now the "official" mapset for this new texture set?

Also, I really hope you will also explore Doom 3's underrepresented Hell. We saw a bit more of it The Lost Mission but it still wasn't quite enough. It was a lot of wasted potential.

It's great, thank you for sharing the screens.
And thank you for the help on the brightmaps Mr Rocket, this will probably lighten the burden, and those are looking really great :)
I'm very happy other people are starting to have fun with these, or using them to create fun for others.

I restarted the 256 color process with my newly created LUT and taking into account some of Ukiro's advices.
I'm now working directly on original HiColor textures with adjustment layers, in non collapsed .psd, just need to batch them to apply the palette and save as .png, no loss of work, I can fix anything at anytime (non destructive workflow !). It's easier to deal with problematic colors.

_dt started to convert some textures to flats and sent them to me, that was cool and usefull. thank you !

Should I modify the small textures (rectangular, or smaller than 128x128 (doom3 scale)) to become more "flat compatible" in HiColor?
Should I break bigger floor ones into smaller 128x128 ones?
If so, should I do this only for 256 colors versions or for both?

There's a couple versions I will have to make while taking on this project.

In a wad:
Because the original (from the looks of it, is being used in a few maps already) it will remain the same, but in wad format. ~ as original scale of these textures are x2 and in some cases x4 the size they need to be in doom2. ~ Again this version will remain the same as it is currently in use by wad authors.

In a pk3:
The new version which will contain not only the d3 textures but also the brightmaps, will be a .pk3.
This one will be scaled to the natural doom texture scale and is why it will take much longer than expected.
Just the texture.txt alone has over 9000 lines without spaces, not to mention each will need properly scaled.

I take little credit for creating the brightmaps, these are easy to create as the texture its self already exists.
I will however take credit for the scripts+ etc I'm having to create, to make it all work as intended heh.

Edit:

There's an unfortunate thing that happens when there's more then 1 person working on such a project. (Different versions of the same texture etc.)
Because of this, we will just have to keep our versions separate "for now" until we are all satisfied with the result. Then later we can update and make 1 single package. ~ this part will no doubt take us some time.
Until then, we'll continue what we're doing and decide later what we will have to do. :)

Also because of this, it's hard for me to say what scale or color range you should use on your end, as on this end I'm looking at a slightly older version from the original now and the scale changes I make are in script, proprietary to the version I see in front of me.

For now, I'd say keep the large scale though as I'm scaling it down via texture script which this way, won't lose image quality. :)

Cheers

Ok here's what I'v got so far:

D3Retro_v3_test_bright.pk3

This is mainly to test out the brightmaps so far.
The pk3 also contains a map to test with.. it's a pretty crappy map( for testing purposes only! heh

As is, all you should have to do is download the pk3, drag and drop it on GZdoom or QZdoom, or use Zandronum and double click it. ~ although on this end the texture load time seems a little slower on Zandronum.

The pk3 contains:
The current D3Retro v3 textures. /textures
The current brightmaps v1 textures. /textures/brightmaps

texture.txt scripts - so they can be scaled without altering the textures them self.
gldefs.txt brightmap scripts - so they can use the textures.txt to reference to.
animdefs.txt script - so the 1 group of 4 textures can animate.
mapinfo.txt - so the map will load as MAP01.

----------

What's left to do?
A lot, but most of the hard work is out of the way.
Now it's just a matter of adding tons of textures to the test map and scaling them via texture script. But this is why you will notice a bunch of textures not in the test map, and a few brightmaps not even working at all yet.

Of course, it's in development!
Most all textures in the test map are to scale though for the most part.
But pretty much 90% of the time when another texture is put in the map, it will have to be scaled in texture.txt

If there are any texture updates hidfan, let me know and I'll get them in the pk3!
If anyone wants to update the scales in the texture.txt, by all means feel free!
Fair Warning though, there's 1,653 scripts. And not even 1/4 of them have been scaled yet. ~ and YES, they will have to be scaled 1 at a time.
But look at the bright side, at least those scripts are there, shwoo.. that took a minute..

There's a few things I need to fix also, aside from some texture names that are over 8 characters long that will show up in the console, even though I have them wrapped "with quotes", they still show up and I'm not sure why yet..

----------

Let me know what you think, comments, bug fixes, wanting to add to the texture.txt etc.

Let me know!

Oh btw, I added a texture: LFW62, its base is LFW6 which is a transparent solid texture, but the originals transparent properties where a little off. so instead of modifying anything, I just made a new version of it, with new name.

Cheers

I downloaded the pk3 and set it up in DB2 as a resource. Then tried to use the textures in a wad but couldn't, they were all 32x32. I guess I should wait for you to make a different version with the textures in various sizes so they can be used in a map.

This is amazingly cool Mr.Rocket !
Thanks so much for your contribution. it also helps me understand how pk3 work,
I didn't expect monsters or any interactivity in your map, so that was a great surprise!
I have to find the problematic textures with more than 8 characters and rename them, or tell me which ones so we fix it on both sides.

The 4x scale looks nice and HD, I thought doom3 was just a 2x scale compared to doom1, but your 4x fits, so the small versions should be even smaller ? :/.
I just spent some time looking at doom 3 screenshot to check the original scale, and it seems the texel ratio is a bit inconsistent in the game, I'm a bit disoriented now :(

This makes me hopeful someone will do a proper Doom 3 > Classic Doom conversion. Preferably, if even possible, as a vanilla mapset, just to test how close the original can come to it.

Hi hidfan,
Here's the texture names that carry more than 8 characters:

DRSTFRM2T
FLGRCV1DA
FLSTE4SLB
FLTILE1Q2
FLTILE1Q3
HBLDSTRM1
HCBRKSGL2
HSLIMEBLO
HTEMBRK1C
HTEMFTRM1
HTEMFTRM2
PNLS3BC0A
PNLS3BC1A
PNLS3BD0A
PNLS3BD1A
PNLS15L10
PNLS15L11
PNLS15L20
PNLS15L21
STELWF2CT
STELWF2EP
STEW3BHZB
STEW3BHZG
STEW3BHZY
It would be easiest to use "windows search" from within the D3RetroTex_ v3 directory to find them, instead of looking for them manually heh.

On the side of scales. When I made the map, (which is just a start of what's to come)
I had in mind to first only have the primary texture scales that would be found in classic Doom. The primary ones being 128x128, eg a full size Doom door, and for flats the plan was to scale them to 64x64. ~ a normal sized flat in Doom.. Of course there are other standard Doom sizes. The 128x64 I plan to just use the 128x line defs and let them tile twice.

Then there's the 256x128 textures in Doom which would be the default size of the icon of sin texture found in map30, for example, but there's only a handful of these which we can worry about later.

All other textures in D3 Retro that are sizes of for example 512x512 will probably be scaled to 128x128 unless they will simply not look right if scaled down. The map will need some line defs yet for textures at that size.

Anyway, at least that's the scope of things in regards to the scale I'll be trying to keep for consistency. (All textures get scaled from within texture.txt scripts)

Anyway.
For now, try not to do any resizing to the textures images, we can now resize them via texture.txt script, this way the textures them self won't lose any quality.
But by all means, feel free to update the art/visual quality of them for v4!

I will continue to do updates to the map and texture.txt/scales, and will be waiting on any updates to textures you might have.

Cheers!

Hi,

Glaice said:

Will keep an eye on this for the PK3 version!

Heh, I just released a pk3 version! ~ test version.
Just in case you missed it, here: :)
D3Retro_v3_test_bright.pk3

hidfan and I are both using the same type of host (google drive) for project distribution currently, so it might have been a bit misleading.

@doomero-21:
Please take in mind that it is not complete yet and only about 1/4 of the textures are scaled. (and shown in the test map.)
Even though (ALL the textures will show up if you make your own map)..
The rest are not scaled yet.

That said, eventually the test map will be 4x larger with all the textures in it, or 4 separate maps created to cut down on load times.
Eg. Doom2.wad has a total of 617 textures, while D3Retro currently has 1,653 textures. ~ + another 120 brightmap textures.. ~ and counting heh..
So yeah, that extra thousand textures sorta ups the load time, not to mention the external file sizes heh.

Load times tend to be most noticeable in Zandronum. I do most of my testing in Qzdoom because of this.

Anyways, will be working on it!

Cheers