Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dime

Vinesauce Competition: What maps will win?

What wads will take 1st 2nd and 3rd place.

Ya, the competition isn't over yet but discussion is always fun. I think joel heavily underestimated how many maps would be entered into the competition looking at the current video's on youtube. I get that feeling that he is starting to rush through maps which is a bit of a shame since it is more difficult to judge his thoughts on maps in the later parts like 5 and 6.

Xaser needs to win, but I'm afraid some of the more crafty zdoom memery will be more memorable for Joel.

I don't know, but I hope that he doesn't go out of his way to check this thread and get influenced by fan boys.

If it were up to me I suppose I'd make Pizza Quest a winner simply because I really enjoyed watching that. Tbqh I'd prefer it if it was someone I've never really seen or heard of before who wins first place.

I'd be very happy for Xaser, Mechadon and Dragonfly if they won the prizes, they did an awesome job with all their submissions, all of them of being radically different and using modern Doom features in a slew of creative ways. Pinchy's map was also fantastic and grossly underrated by Joel.

A map Joel didn't finish because he refuses to deal with archviles and doing so was a mandatory part of the map's progression, was Path Over The Abyss, which, on top of looking drop dead sexy, has in equal measure all the features in a Doom map I love - intense combat but puzzles and platform elements. Nice.

There also was a very well-done Legend of Zelda wad by someone which was great, though insubstantial. (Too many of these submissions I feel had text at the end saying "sorry I couldn't finish on time" etc.)

JaxxoonR's map, while I didn't see all of it, seems like it'd be a likely contender, with its use of cutscenes and the rather unexpected custom boss fight. None of the other """humorous""" wads really tickled my fancy apart from Pizza Quest, and I expect that'll get some sort of mention.

Starting to wonder if I even have a look-in. I stayed up til 6am on the last day to finish that bloody Boy And His Barrel map off, and Joel still hasn't tried to get it actually working - all he has to do is update his copy of GZDoom. I keep going ignored in e-mails and live chat too.

Jimmy said:

I keep going ignored in e-mails and live chat too.

Not necessarily getting ignored, he's the second most popular streamer on Vinesauce. His chat is almost always moving too fast for him to notice most people individually.

I had a feeling my map wouldn't be played til the final stream, just my luck! It's huge and vanilla so probably not likely to win for that alone, but hopefully he'll still enjoy it. As far as what will win, I think Pizza Quest will be one of them, but it's really hard to say as there's plenty of quality. The only ones I rule out are the 1994-esque "clearly made in less than an hour" maps, that aside it could be just about anything.

Well, i might be wrong, but i think that a good way to guess which map may be a strong contender for joel, it's if he spent more time talking about the map itself rather than something else.

I haven't watched all streams, and generally i just skip from map to map to see the initial impressions, but there are some great maps. Path over the abyss looked fantastic and so did dragonfly's map. Also Jaxxonr's map really seemed to had made a great impression from joel.

As for memefest maps, while some got a chuckle or two of me, i think that most of them are really not that good. Pizza quest however was rather entertainig and i found the ending quite hilarious. If a map has to win in terms of humor, id be happy that it be that one.

Jimmy said:

Starting to wonder if I even have a look-in. I stayed up til 6am on the last day to finish that bloody Boy And His Barrel map off, and Joel still hasn't tried to get it actually working - all he has to do is update his copy of GZDoom. I keep going ignored in e-mails and live chat too.

Pretty funny, Vinny actually played A Boy and His Barrel last night in a short "Weird Doom Mods" stream.

Incase you missed it: https://www.twitch.tv/vinesauce/v/116736761?t=01h06m18s

Scooping his own team member like that.... how rude. ;)

Anyone else still a bit weirded out because two of your favorite communities are interacting? I'm getting a kick out of this contest.

Sick Bow said:

Anyone else still a bit weirded out because two of your favorite communities are interacting? I'm getting a kick out of this contest.

i know, right? it's great! :D

Spocks_Beard said:

Not necessarily getting ignored, he's the second most popular streamer on Vinesauce. His chat is almost always moving too fast for him to notice most people individually.

Yeah I noticed this. Luckily I finally got a message in during his last stream and he said he'd update his GZDoom so he could play my thing, so I'm a little relieved about the whole thing now.

Should see your map soon then Jimmy! Pray he doesn't speedrun through it.

Dime said:

Should see your map soon then Jimmy! Pray he doesn't speedrun through it.

Seems odd to see a reputable speedrunner say this, haha!

Thanks for the people rooting for my map here, I really appreciate that! I'd definitely say that a lot of this 'meme' and 'joelmeme'stuff is actually horrifyingly boring as someone who wasn't previously a fan of Joel and his stream - as an outsider it holds absolutely zero entertainment value. As already mentioned though, Pizza quest was done with a level of intelligence that made it hilarious!

I'll have to say that the maps I feel would win aren't likely to win if only because Joel's playstyle doesn't match up. Fingers crossed those who deserve the win get it!

Good luck everyone. :)

After seeing xaser's map I may have to put that in a top 3 position. What an excellent creation.