Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Jade Earth

245/1093 would die again of embarrassment. Streaming my ironman runs seems to decimate my performance, so it's high time I ditch Twitch for demos. I have a 100% survival rate with demos, you know! No I'm not throwing a tantrum!!

Canada 1 - 0 Australia

I died about a week ago and forgot to submit my video until now.

Anyway, A very early death, only 265 monsters killed. A real Jade Earth of quality playing on my behalf. The Britbowl will not be much of a contest if I keep this up!

Tomorrow:
The hubris continues

Will I last more than two minutes?
Will I shit the bed again?

These questions and more will be answered tomorrow.

https://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/v/116828468 = my blind run. (366/1105 monsters killed on death)

On the plus side, I managed to beat an_mutt and thus secure a 1-0 advantage for 2017 in our personal rivalry. On the minus side, I was killed by a Revenant.....again.

Jodwin's knack of lockdowns (even from previously openable doors) sure led to some stressful moments throughout this playthrough, although I didn't quite notice any particular ammo/health starvation. (was kind of tight, but manageable)

A fun map, I may revisit it sometime. As for now however, I'd like to NOT die to a Revenant next time. How many bloody times have they cost me Ironman runs now, I wonder?

Couldn't let this one slip by, as I have fond memories of this map :)
A long and epic adventure with a classic weapon / enemy curve and lots of secrets, I really like these.
Secrets that require mandatory AV jumps can go die in a hole though - and it seems like a common Jodwin mapping trait, as there's another one of these secrets in 1024cla2 map 21.

Made it in 1:39:XX. Just like with Perdition's Gate and UAC Ultra last year, being under the extra pressure of trying to "speedrun" the thing had me getting out of my comfort zone, and that's not a bad thing :)
Some parts of Jade Earth do get nasty, such as the double Cyber encounter and the 4 Viles + friends setup near the end.
I didn't remember that you actually have to kill both Cybs in order to open the bars, and tried to look for a switch instead, heh...
The very last fight felt easy in comparison.

Krypto, you're out of this world man :)

Suitepee said:

A fun map, I may revisit it sometime. As for now however, I'd like to NOT die to a Revenant next time. How many bloody times have they cost me Ironman runs now, I wonder?

I'm starting to feel like that about Mancubi now, which is weird as I never rated them as major troublemakers..

Rev's haven't killed me too often like Suitepee.

Revenant
Platforming Mishap
Ninja Chaingunner
Trap Chaingunners
Cyberdemon rocket

I just checked my previous runs in the Ironman League....it's only in the last two in a row that I've died to a Revenant. So 2 out of 7 ain't bad I suppose.

Also I've been trying to persuade ZeroMaster to join in on this, so we'll see.....

My attempt

Spoiler

Do I win the worst demo award? In any case I'm glad I died quickly, as this was dark, monotonous and boring. :\ Very green map but I guess not green enough to give the player some armor.

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1710134

133 kills! 12%!

You reading that you four guys at the bottom? T-W-E-L-V-E.
And this is the first time I've ever played a Doom map on UV! Wow I'm so proud. Haha! I'm so awesome sometimes. Awwwww this is so great!

I'll savescum play thru the map one day... one day.

BTW that long delay after I'm killed in the end is me drawing out my calculator to check my kills percentage. :]

I haven't played the map before, but I did play it a few times prior to recording this awesome demo of mine.

One for the viles. Ill get you some number crunches later

Quality brain fade DS but I think you may have botched the compat settings. Boom(strict) is what we're looking for with Jade Earth. I've punched it into the table anyway!

The month is almost up and unless we behold some time warp Christmas miracle it looks like Bloodite Krypto is going to score his fourth straight victory and walk out of January with the lead. Hot damn this guy's good.

It was set to Boom(strict) but for whatever reason the individual flags were basically all default 'no's. At least one other player has had this problem, and although I'm not sure what causes it short of manually disabling flags without switching over, toggling away from the setting and then back to it resets the flags to the defaults for that setting.

-complevel 9 -iwad DOOM2.WAD -file jadearth.wad -skill 4 -record scottyjade

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ef99b4i1wpa4l66/scottyjade.lmp?dl=1

I have absolutely no idea how many enemies i got through so am looking forward to finding out. I thought this wad would be really boring and grindy especially when i got lost early on, but i got really into it and had a lot of fun this month!

Hey, sorry for showing up at the 11th hour yet again (it's actually about quarter to 6PM on the 31st in my timezone), but I've barely had time to take a piss this month, let alone play Doom, unfortunately. Nevertheless, I couldn't pass up the opportunity for a shot at Jade Earth, as it's a level I know well, and am rather fond of--it's a very traditional sort of base crawl with an excellent sense of immersion and a few nifty setpieces to give it just enough of a climax right at the end, certainly a fitting swansong for Jodwin (or did that soccer-named map he made come out after this one...?). Fine choice again, Alfonzo.

Survived in 1:15:30.

As I said, I know this level pretty well--got 10/10 secrets (some of which are very devious) and was really tearing ass through it early on if I do say so, though I got interrupted by business/IRL matters halfway through and actually had to save and quit out of it somewhere around the start of the archaeological excavation segment, and lost a lot of momentum coming back--too much to beat the wunderkind we all know as Krypto, it seems. Nevertheless, apart from forgetting the trigger for what is probably the level's single deadliest trap in what shall henceforth be known as The Jadewalk, which lead to a bit of panicked floundering, for the most part I'm satisfied with how I played here--certainly a lot better than my clumsy performance in UAC Ultra last month, at any rate. If nothing else, I think I deserve at least a little credit for having the sack to take a second go at the arch-vile jump secret after pooching it the first time!

Next month should be interesting, since for the first time since the League began the WAD chosen is one that a lot of folks (myself included!) probably haven't seen/played before. I'll try to punch in at least a little earlier for that one, but no promises... :D

Just in the nick of time, DotW. I should probably stop assuming that everything's all hunky dory on the 30th or thereabouts. Time to update the leader board.

I reckon you had this one in the bag; it would have been close. Small things like the missed archie jump (haven't seen that secret before, though I did skim over quite a bit of Bloodite's run. Red!), missing the button for progression near the end... and I swear you had enough cells to slam dunk that spiderdemon? Certainly you could have afforded to whittle away that tame-as-all-hell baron horde at the end with the switch taking its sweet time, though I guess it's hard to decline an invitation to break or humiliate a map's pièce de résistance. It's a very special Doom feeling, that. Good luck with the next run!