• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaser

xasermap - sharp things v1.1

2Ir1cwm.png
bgcu8B2t.png8xonQSPt.pngdYPS5dRt.png

oh snap it's a map - v1.1

Single 'nilla-compat map for Ultimate Doom. It's nonlinear and has a lot of pokey bits. 'Nuff said.

I originally made this for a compo thingy over at Battle of the Bits, so thanks to them for graciously hosting it (and dying a lot during playtesting because I failed to implement proper difficulties -- whoops).

Enjoy or whatnot.

Edited by Xaser : v1.1 update

I did play it a while ago. Lovely, one complaint was some "run like hell" sequence near one of the keys.

Finished in 25 minutes. Noticed that valuable pickups were often hard or even impossible to avoid (like these big cellpacks in the central tower when you have >200 cells) and wrong texture on the linedef 1351 (should be METAL I guess). Some monsters got stuck on rising floors but such is life. I don't understand why linedefs 237 and 249 have to block monsters, seems to somewhat ruin the trap there. Also the *.txt is wrong about the music I think? Overall a stylish level, several fights were more uncomfortable than fun maybe (unusual main weapon at the start, snipers above that are hard to even see, weird cyberdemon in the eastern block) but that's just my taste.

Really cool map, have an FDA, took about 20 minutes. I really like the layout and the progression, also it's a nice change to start a map with a plasma gun. That duel cybie arena almost got me, was a little worried there.

The map is wonderful and bizarre in all the ways that I expect my xaser maps to be. But what I'm really in love with is that midi. Great stuff xaser.

What is this, another release from Xaser?

Cool stuff, both of your recent maps were quite fun and interesting.

joe-ilya said:

I can't extract the wad off the zip file, can you?

Yeah, I got a "Central and local directory mismatch for file" error trying to extract this with WinZip. I used WinRar and it extracted fine.

Wow, very nice design. The duel cyb battle is hard, tho. I will think on a strategy before trying again, but it is cramped spaces for two fast moving missile launchers!

EDIT: 48 minutes, but I could exited sooner; somehow I landed on one of

Spoiler

the triangles that took me to the exit

without having gotten the blue key. But I dropped down before exiting and then couldn't figure out how I got there but did end up finding the way to the blue key anyway.

I really liked this map; the layout/architecture/design/atmosphere/texturing/progression was really spot on. The dual cybie fight was *intense*, I danced with those two like mad. Very scary battle; been a looong time since I've had such a harrowing experience playing Doom. But I somehow was too quick for their rockets to catch me, but it felt like I shoulda died ten times in that duel. The map was challenging in the beginning, but once a few areas were secured it was easy; except of course the dual cybie battle which was not easy. I think a little secret chamber or secret underground hall in the blur sphere/SGguys area mighta been a really nice touch atmospheric wise. No other criticisms I can think of at the moment tho. Oh yeah, one thing; it would be nice if this wad had a backstory and a proper title. It's such an interesting dungeon castle thing; feels like a real (albeit fantastical) place. The Belial Dungeon of the Blood God of Chaos, War and Murder or whatever.

I've just finished playing this.

Very Atmospheric level, woah. The beginning was amazing. The gameplay was pretty good too, IMO. I haven't found any encounter unfair. Dual Cyberdemon battle was though, but using the other monsters as shield and in-fighter helped a lot.

The only thing I didn't like was the "running" section in the end. After 5-10 minutes trying, I just used idclip and got to where I was supposed to be lol Everything else was awesome.

Nice music too!

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Yeah, I got a "Central and local directory mismatch for file" error trying to extract this with WinZip. I used WinRar and it extracted fine.

I can't do it with 7z either.

I'm super-confused by this whole zip error issue. It happens randomly to me, and the kicker is that I created this zip file with 7-zip. Why would it muck up on a file it created?

The best I've been able to determine is that the file had a bad ZIP header, but I'm not sure how or why it got this way. The same thing happens on occasion when creating files with Windows' built-in zip handling, which doesn't help diagnose anything in the slightest. Clearly the work of a ZIP boogeyman on my system. :P

tl;dr: I've recreated+reuploaded it (same URL). Seems to work fine in both 7z and Windows native ZIP, so should be good now.

I just found this. Totally epic. Xaser at his best. Just enough tricks to keep you guessing. Unmatched architecture and design. Difficulty was pretty casual for me. 98% kills, 100% secrets. I did have to idclip to get the red key... I couldn't figure out the timing for that one.

Beautiful, mind-blowing stuff.

Thanks for bumping this NT, I hadn't played this map until just today. Awesome stuff! I wish I had the balls to pull the whacky unconventional stuff Xaser does. I would almost always agree that acute angles generally don't look good and Xaser just takes that idea and smacks me over the face with it. It's so unconventional, avant-garde and cool by every definition of the word.

Super-thanks, guys! I'd kinda forgotten about this; I suppose that means I need to make a couple of tweaks and /idgames it finally. Welp, responsibility! D: