Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Just bought Quake 4.

I just bought Quake IV on Steam. What can I expect? I have seen the stroggification scene 1000 times and played 5 minutes of the demo. But how good is this game compared to Quake 2. I wanted an alternative to Arma 3 as that is getting boring at this point, all I am really interested in with Arma 3 is modding. Is this game boring corridor shooting like Doom3 or is it more open?

It certainly has more action involved than Doom 3, though I doubt it will be right up your alley, It has a lot of corridor shooting in the first half of the game but the moments before the stroggification and after start feeling like a more proper Quake game.

Quake 4 has some more open areas here and there but in general it is just as linear and confined as Doom 3. Which is a shame, because the predecessor Quake 2 had some great non-linear and interconnected level design with the hub layouts and everything.

It's a corridor shooter with some terrible vehicle sections and typical sci-fi shooter cliches.

Why would you buy a game not knowing what kind of game it is?

neubejiita said:

I just bought Quake IV on Steam. What can I expect?

A terribly uninteresting and forgettable fps.

You should've gotten prey instead. Prey is a corridor shooter through and through yes, but at least it has charm and good visual design.

The game is okay. That's pretty much all you can say about it, honestly...

It doesn't exactly set out to reinvent the wheel, but then again; nor did Quake 2. I personally do enjoy Quake 4 a little bit more just because of the weapon variety. Quake 2 has a handful of cool weapons, but the rocket-launcher in Quake 2 feels incredibly nerfed (especially if you played the first Quake) and the hyper-blaster and BFG are as interesting as it's going to get. At least Quake 4 has that awesome black-hole gun.

In short: it's nothing ground-breaking, but it's not as dull as Quake 2's campaign.

Quast said:

A terribly uninteresting and forgettable fps.

You should've gotten prey instead. Prey is a corridor shooter through and through yes, but at least it has charm and good visual design.

I'm a fan of Prey, Quake, and Doom 3, but I can't agree with this more. Prey was an amazing, but underrated, game. Nothing wrong with linear shooters, by the way.

Back to the subject in hand, the vehicle sections suck and you ruined what is subjectively the best part of the game already. The guns are nice, a few scenes and battles are really fun, and the graphics still look really nice. All the Quake games are entirely different from each other, so don't expect this one to be too similar to the previous iterations. It's definitely still worth a playthrough, but if you aren't enjoying it in an hour or two, get a refund. Dunno why you're posting here, just play it lol.

God damn you guys, we literally had a Quake 4 thread, just here in EE. Keep it together, unless you are shilling with a purpose and point of view. To be honest I thought it was a fun, colorful, brutal version of Doom 3. That doesn't mean it fixed everything it means to be Doom 3. It just means it's a lot more pretty and the guns are better.
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/everything-else/92273-quake-4-memories/

I actually enjoyed Prey less than Quake 4, unlike my experience with Quake 4 I just couldn't play Prey again after finishing it the first time, I was able to play Quake 4 at least two times before getting bored of it, I had to wait months before it felt a little fresh again for a third playthrough but this is just past experience.

It has its problems, though all in all I remember enjoying Quake 4 back in the day. My main issue with it was and is the premise of not being a 300lb one-man army. I guess things get a little more Quake-y when you become a Strogg, but it's still kind of eh. The soundtrack also leaves much to be desired. It's a good game, it's just not a very good Quake game.

My problem with Q4 was not the action itself, which was pretty decent, but the extremely linear design of the game.

Imagine a corridor with 4 doors: One can be opened, perform a required task in the room behind - get out - the next door is open - complete that task - back to the corridor - the third door is open but the first one is locked again. Of course the door back to the previous scene is also locked now.

And that went on throughout the game until one vehicle scene where the game broke down for me, and no cheating managed to get the stray script back on track so I had to give up.

Combat is the only thing that's somewhat enjoyable. At any rate it's the only good thing about Quake 4. Everything else is really bad IMO. Worst game made by Raven. It has nothing on the other Quake titles.

There's nothing wrong with playing the game at least once in your life. Why not get a fresh copy?

If I didn't know any better, I'd think id Software adapted the weapon mods thing from Quake 4 to Doom 2016. Just a hunch.

neubejiita said:

I am refunding this game. Parts of it do not work. I think I will buy Quake 2 instead. That game is actually good.

What doesn't work? Also, Humble Bundle has Q1 and 2 on sale. Get them both

Just thought I'd say this, but I liked Quake 4's menu music more than Doom 3's.

Voros said:

TAKE IT BACK RIGHT NOW!

Voros said:

Really? Doom 3's music sounded like it was straight from a Tool album, for the longest time I could've sworn Maynard had something to do with writing that track. Quake 4s was nice, but I'll always prefer Tent Reznor for Quake tunes.

Quake 4's main menu sounded a bit like a Silent Hill 1 boss fight remix. That's not a bad thing.

Maybe I should refresh my memory on what both tracks were like, since it was around 1-2 years ago. But I like both tracks, just Quake 4's a bit more.

dudes, the Doom 3 theme was a jesus-lion of a heavy metal anthem. Such a great tune. the quake 4 was good but not as catchy imho

I replaced it with this. This game would be much more fun. You can actually see where you are going. And I love me some Quake 2 weapons.

tbh Quake 2 didn't get great until Quake 2: The Reckoning
Quake 2 was good but you know, it had parts that felt like Hexen. Modern n00bs had no idea how to play this shit.

The Reckoning expansion pack is arguably superior. Diverse weapons, monsters, design. There were so many weapons that you could select some from your backpack (this expansion pack came 2nd in the lineage after Quake 2: Ground Zero) and many of the new weapons were utterly fantastic.

People say a lot that the Ground Zero expansion pack is arguably superior.

In response to the inevitable counterpoint that Quake 2: Ground Zero was superior to The Reckoning: I can't understand the obsession with turret/sentry bots on every ceiling and wall where the player is (the level designers are completely at fault and went mad with power). That was obtuse and un-fun, it's like they imagined us as being enthralled with free-look so much via Quake 2 that we wanted to observe every ceiling for a robot that was gonna drop explosives if we didn't pay attention by looking directly at the ceiling for a dumb dome robot with absolutely no satisfying death or suffering animation. I mean, wtf, a tiny enemy, no vibrant color, no personality, nothing to distinguish.

And if you want to talk about Quake 2: Juggernaut, dear sub-deities, just give me a couple of pages and let me explain how they imprinted my childhood even though they were fundamentally flawed in a grand sense and certainly come in 3rd place to The Reckoning.

Apparently there was (were) at least 1 (or 2) more expansion pack I never bought. I watched youtube videos of the related gameplay and they were embarrassingly bad, like "my house" maps for Doom 2.

I bought the reckoning as well on your recommendation. I will give it a go. But I wonder how I can run Quake 2 at native res. Can I install a source port?

kmQuake2 is an impeccable performer on Windows 7. Good luck otherwise there are plenty of modern Quake2 ports out there that function just as helpfully as zdoom does. Zdoom is so useful and so are the great Quake 2 ports

I bought Quake 4 used, from a game seller near my area at 2 or 3 euros (dirt cheap). I can say that it was a good game with fun weapons like a black hole gun and the stroggification scene is the highlight of the game, but as you all said, it is like Doom 3 in gameplay (it defers a tiny bit after becoming a strogg, though don't expect much) and graphics , mainly because of using the same engine and it can be repetitive with the corridors (other games do it better than Quake 4).

So, it was wise of you to buy Quake 2, which is an id software classic, instead of Quake 4, which was developed by Raven ( Raven did best with their Hexen/Heretic series).

TheCupboard said:

Apparently there was (were) at least 1 (or 2) more expansion pack I never bought. I watched youtube videos of the related gameplay and they were embarrassingly bad, like "my house" maps for Doom 2.

Must be Zaero.
It is pretty bad.

If you want an extreme graphics mod for Quake II than get the Berserker source port / mod.

Also the Steam version of Quake II doesn't have the industrial rock music so you will have to track down and download the unofficial music patch, but the music will only work in source ports such as KMQuake II and Berserker.

Speaking of Quake 4 however I already managed to buy the old version which included the Quake II game and its expansions and this was some time in 2013 I recall, it was strange how the store actually had it still but it only costed me like $20 then.

Hell if anyone is reading this later, just get the GOG version, it's DRM-free and includes the expansions.

YukiHerz said:

Must be Zaero.
It is pretty bad.

Zaero is pretty good, nothing wrong with it. Some cool new Strogg enemies, loads of new textures and a nice set of levels including some unique alien temple architecture.

Unseen is a bad Q2 mission pack.