Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Steve

Cacowards 2017 Mentionation Thread

dew said:

He moved a sector in a btsx map, not kidding. MOTY clinched.

He didn't even need to do that. He just placed a node and got a cacoward.

I'm absolutely convinced he just takes his cacowards and smelts them into maps.

For the Espi award I'd like to mentionate Raphaƫl Quinet.

Though only very active in the community up till Quake's release, the dude has achievements to his name that built the foundation of today's community.

Most notably the guy (alongside Brendon Wyber) helped create Doom Editing Utilities, which on it's own is fucking huge. A stable and complete all-in-one map editor, which included an actual working node generator.
Alongside that he did some of the earliest work on the BSP node builder (which was picked up by Colin Reed and Dylan Cuthbert).

Outside of these technical achievements he was also a member of the RGCD Support Team, and volunteer coordinator of rec.games.computer.doom.editing on Usenet. In addition, he wrote the historically important "The Subjective History of Doom Editing" Usenet post, which is honestly a really interesting read and I'd highly recommend it to anybody who wants to know more about the early days of Doom editing.

Going to try and give Echelon the cacoward this year. It just feels right.

As for espi; that's why I'm gonna say hand out multiple. Skillsaw. Make it a invisibility sphere trophy or something: His maps are always a treat on the eyeballs, and he essentially just gets a consistant stream of them on a yearly basis. One of doom's best mappers period. Him, Ribbiks (i seriously thought that was just another handle of paul's) and the sunder maker are the people most responsible for warping people's perspectives on what a DOOM map can be these days.

And we cannot forget good ol' ZDoom and Randi.

I predict 2-3 more major events this year that will make the espi rather contested, but giving something for ZDoom is just a given.

Spectre01 said:

+1 SgtMarkIV for lifetime achievement.

I agree.

Well, I will also pick Zdoom's Randi for lifetime achievement, for zdoom and all.

+1 for Brutal Doom 64 too.

I'll vote for SgtMarkIV next year.

I thought skillsaw and ribbiks were the same person for the longest time. oops.

They should still get together and make beautiful maps together

Kontra Kommando said:

I agree.

Another drama explosion in the making. The distinct squishing of gelatin against steel.

Mentioning Disjunction and Saturnine

You there, Mouldy?

SArais said:

Another drama explosion in the making. The distinct squishing of gelatin against steel.

Mentioning Disjunction and Saturnine

You there, Mouldy?

I only changed my vote because the person that made zdoom stopped production of his source-port. So I figure, it would be more appropriate to give it to him this time around. I did say I would vote for Sergeant_Mark_IV next year.

General reminder that this is not a poll, this is not an election, this is just a simple "hey Cacoward staff I think you should take a look at this" thread.

SArais said:

Mark's mostly unappreciated.

FTFY

SArais said:

Run for it
the wad

That was a close one. But does it apply for 2017?

You sure that's the correct term? It makes it sound like Mark is some low life scum.

Unappreciated means people don't like his work much.

depreciated is to lose value/or to belittle, which i guess makes sense but its normally use to describe something inanimate, not a person.

Definitely Dimension Of The Boomed. Very cool stuff by Urthar, seriously this guy is awesome.

Also Revilution and maybe Devilution if it makes it this year.