Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Manbou

Water Spirit.wad (now on idgames)

Hi. After releasing of JPCP, I made Water Spirit, which is Boom compatibility and contains 3 maps. I would really appreciate it if you could enjoy this wad. And I have a favor to ask of you. This wad is still beta version. So please give me feedbacks. Water Spirit has been tested in prboom-plus-2.5.1.4, zdoom-2.8.1 and gzdoom-bin-2-2-0-x64. I highly recommend them. I prepared some screen shots.

Download link is here.
[idgames] https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/v-z/watrsp

I’d like to extend my sincere gratitude to TerminusEst13, Toooooasty, Niwatorry and Nanka Kurashiki. They helped me a lot.

You're burabojunior, right? I'm glad to see something new from you.

I played Map01, which was very cool. I think it's nice that it looks great but isn't terribly challenging. For some reason nowadays beautiful levels tend to be very hard, so it's almost refreshing to see a more relaxing one. :)

I've noticed three problems:
- A HOM here: http://i.imgur.com/DJsMyEP.png
- I thought it was strange how I couldn't shoot plasma here: http://i.imgur.com/BzfWrub.png (invisible wall) But I'm not sure if you can fix it due to the map geometry.
- Blue switch didn't work! That door didn't open for me. I think the problem is that you're using a very fast scroller (the speed of the scroller is determined by the length of its linedef), and on fast speeds sometimes triggers can fail. So you should use a slower speed and maybe also duplicate the trigger to make sure that it always works.

Here is the demo of my playthrough if you want to see it. No exit obviously. Hoping to play the other two maps soon.

Nice music, beautiful level design and wise gameplay but It took me a while when i find the blue key :). tested on zandronum and work with no problems (blue switch and door work for me).
Love this wad

Almost didn't click through because of the title, but I'm glad I did. This will be on my to play roster.

Unfortunately had the same issue as Memfis and wasn't able to finish Map01 but here's a FDA for Map02 if your are interested.
So far those maps are wonderfully to look at with great lighting an a lot of atmosphere. Gameplay seems sorta slaughter-inspired but not overly harsh, pretty fun to play through.

Here's another weird thing i've spotted next to the bridge in Map01.

As for Map02 ammo distribution seemed well done until the BK, but killing all those hundreds of imps and pinkies afterwards really consumes a ton of ammo. At the end i had not enough the kill the final viles.

You should double check for blocking lines around Snipers locations to prevent stuff like this.

Also a couple of missing sky transfers

Gonna play Map03 later.

yeah, wad need more ammo in my opinion. also the blue switch bug will be problem with port because zandronum have no problem with this.

Wow, I didn't expect this to be released so soon! I loved your maps in JPCP and am looking forward to playing it.

Demos for 02-03

LOL, so I called this wad easy but actually I died on all levels. On Map02 I ran out of ammo at the end just like tourniquet did and died to the arch-viles. Not sure if I missed some ammo stash, used bad strategy, or what. The scrolling chaingunners were hilarious and awesome btw.

On Map03 I "didn't do anything wrong" but my health just kinda dropped to zero. :P At the start I thought it was a bit silly how the arch-vile closets kept reopening. Maybe just don't close them at all?

Tons of fun overall, you have a good sense for these monster blaster situations and there is always a lot of pretty stuff to look at.

@Fonze @grouchbag
Thank you very much! I appreciate it! I'm looking forward to seeing your review.

@Memfis
Yes,My another nickname is burabojunior. I lately prefer "Manbou" to "burabojunior".
But when you call me,you can use both nicknames.
Aside from that, I really appreciate your reviews and demos!

MAP01
I apologize for the serious bugs. I'll adjust the speed of scrollers and fix HOMs. I'll quit using invisible walls because it's really difficult to hundle them.

MAP02
I'll add more rockets and cells around the BK. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the scrolling chaingunners. In fact,there were 2 arch-viles in old version.But it was super difficult.So I changed the type of monster.Ahaha.

MAP03
After watching your demo, I decided to change the position of rocket launcher in the BK side and I may add more ammos.
Talking about the trap at the start, you must have been surprised to that,right?
I also feel keeping the arch-vile closets reopening is a bit funny.Ahaha.:D

By the way,you're very good at playing DOOM.You are definitely a veteran.

@Mr. Trotl
Thank you very much for playing. I'm glad to hear you had no problem when you played this wad. And I'll definitely consider your opinions.

@Job
Is this title weird? :( Anyway,I hope you'll enjoy this wad.

@tourniquet
I really appreciate your demo and review! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this wad. ;)

MAP01
I apologize for those serious bugs.I'll definitely fix them.

MAP02
I've decided to add more ammos around the BK.And When I watched your demo,I found the BK switches didn't work perfectly.The blue stone tower(sector 1514) had to go down to the lower floor.I suppose this bug is also a kind of the scroller problems.
I'm going to fix the bugs you mentioned.

@Not Jabba
I'm honored with that. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed my maps in JPCP. I hope this wad is memorable for you. :)

Haven't played JPCP yet, but these screenies look amazing level God, haha. I'm lovin' them. How I wish to map as you do, friend!

Failed FDA for Map03. Lack of ammo is pretty much the same problem as in the previous map. Especially the left branch with those massive teleport ambushes needs more if you ask me (perhaps even a berserk). I tried playing as conservative as possible and eventually made it to the end of the right branch. Just as in Map02 i've noticed a couple of missing sky transfers like this one, i assume they are only visible in software mode so better take another look at it. Nonetheless another beautiful and fun map, i'll definitely come back once you've made some proper changes :)

Water Spirit beta-2 is ready. What I changed is as shown below.

MAP01
I fixed some HOMs and the voodoo doll trick problem.

MAP02
I fixed the transfering sky texture problem and voodoo doll trick one.
I added 12 cell boxes in this map.

MAP03
I fixed the transfering sky texture problem.
I changed the location of the rocket launcher in the BK side.
I added 59 rockets in this map.
I changed some positions of the teleporter in the YK side because I thought it's not good for the players.

Water Spirit beta-2 has been tested in prboom-plus-2.5.1.4, zdoom-2.8.1 and gzdoom-bin-2-2-0-x64.

I hope the voodoo doll tricks in each map will work perfectly this time.

The download link is here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m9l30vvdt5djps1/Water%20Spirit-beta-2.zip?dl=0

Manbou said:

@Job
Is this title weird? :( Anyway,I hope you'll enjoy this wad.

I think choosing a name for your wad is a very personal thing, so I don't really have the liberty to say what's wrong or right, weird or normal. That said, in my personal opinion, if a level has a name like this, it implies that maybe there'd be a special set of monsters or a boss fitting the namesake. The screenshots are very enchanting, so maybe I felt that what is kind of a generic level name didn't measure up to your work. I'll certainly try it soon and I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

As of beta 2, MAP02 is incompletable in PrBoom+ while playing with complevel 9. The little temple button by the BFG at the top of the hill no longer does anything when pressed. The button does work with complevel 17, the default PrBoom+ setting, but this is technically no longer Boom-compatible.

The button works in beta 1 with complevel 9, so the changes to the voodoo doll setup have broken its functionality somehow.

@Job
Actually,I wanted to add new monsters but I don't know how to make a new monster. Therefore I couldn't do that. :(
I'm looking forward to seeing your review.

@Revenant100
Oh my gosh.I had confidence about that. :((
I checked the voodoo doll tricks in each map again and tested the tricks in MAP2 with Prboom-plus-complevel 9.I really hope it works this time. :)

Here is the download link.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5sk5yuxn4b0481i/Water%20Spirit-beta-2.1.zip?dl=0

Awesome map, Manbou! Reminds me of Stardate 20X7. Not too hard but still lots of pressure and fun to play, and damn beautiful too! Nice work! Looking forward to more of your maps!

FDA beta 2.1

@40oz
Thank you very much for your review and demo! Making too hard map is not what I want to make. I want to make maps which the players can enjoy. That is my priority motto. :) I would really appreciate it if you give me the review of map2 and 3 because I need more reviews.

Whoa!! I didn't even know there were more maps!! I will post demos soon :)

Played the first two maps. Really good looking, congrats. It also plays very well (I took a while to find the very first button to cross the bridge at MAP01, but I'm dumb).
MAP02 was even better, with that open layout and monster mobility. There's enough space to run away from a battle, but monsters can also chase you back. Pretty awesome.

@SArais
Thank you so much! I want to make more impressive maps in the future.

@Darch
I appreciate your review so much! Talking about map2, the enemy mobility that I've been turning over in my mind is priority in this map, so I'm glad to hear that you could feel that. :)

After receiving the reviews, I made beta-3 version. I tested this wad with prboom-plus(complevel 9), zdoom-2.8.1 and gzdoom-bin-2-2-0-x64.
But if you find any problem, please let me know.

Download link is here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lrdgdcchfadwa9e/Water%20Spirit%20beta-3.zip?dl=0

If I find there is no serious problem after this release, I'm going to submit this wad on idgames.

Am I the only one who can't get past the first bridge on MAP01 without cheating? I always fall before the last platform. Tried running along the inside edge. Tried running from the switch along the tops of the bridge side supports. After 15 minutes, I gave up. Used ZDoom and GZDoom. What's the trick?

Finally got it. I had assumed it was an SR40 and was trying that, but too late. I was starting halfway across the bridge. Obviously not enough speed. Starting before I get to the bridge worked. I was afraid it was an SR50 or running + mouse-run. Thanks.

EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Am I the only one who can't get past the first bridge on MAP01 without cheating? I always fall before the last platform. Tried running along the inside edge. Tried running from the switch along the tops of the bridge side supports. After 15 minutes, I gave up. Used ZDoom and GZDoom. What's the trick?

No, you're not the only person who's had this experience! I tried well over a hundred times to clear the bridge before, like you, giving up. Lucky then that this thread (and your post) exists - I had no idea what strafe running was or how to do it, but after conducting a spot of research, managed to get past the bridge after a further ten or fifteen attempts, at which point I immediately saved! This looks like being a decent challenge - first the bridge, then an arch-vile about 30 seconds later...

Cool looking maps! Blind walkthrough:

A lot of fights can be escaped and done safer then you probably meant it, it would be way harder to lockdown player.