Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
antares031

John Romero selling Heretic Registered Box on eBay

For those who are interested in collecting Doom-related stuff, there you go. Here's a description by the seller for more information.

This is a very rare, shrink-wrapped REGISTERED version of id/Raven's HERETIC game, released on Dec 23, 1994.

This is not the shareware version, it's the full three episodes originally released to paying customers by mail order or 1-800 phone call.

It includes the original disks and a manual that unfolds into a poster of the box front. The box front was painted by Brom.

I can sign this box if you are interested.

Yes, the seller is even going to sign the box if you really want. :)

Because it would be made painfully obvious the moment the price tag made you its bitch.

At this point, the bidders are paying for the autograph and not the copy of the software. It would be really cool to get the manuals and such thrown onto archive.org though.

fraggle said:

Not sure why you missed out the detail that "the seller" is John Romero

A surprising twist Maybe I was too sleepy to post a thread at that moment, I apologize.

Voltcom9 said:

Lol, those prices border on extortion!

Who the Hell would spend $350 on a Doom game ($250 for Heretic) that could be purchased online for less than $10?! This is madness...

You'd be amazed what hard core collectors spend on items like this.

Voltcom9 said:

Who the Hell would spend $350 on a Doom game ($250 for Heretic) that could be purchased online for less than $10?! This is madness...

It's a pretty rare item:

• Firstly, it's sold by John Romero, obviously, and he's offered to sign it. That's automatically going to push the price up.
  • Next, this is the registered version of Heretic. Heretic was later sold in stores (I think?) as the CD-based Shadow of the Serpent Riders version. I'm not sure how many copies of the original floppy-based registered version actually sold - I don't even remember seeing a mail order copy before. I'm sure they must come on sale sometimes but they're pretty rare. So even without the Romero factor this is just a rare item by itself.
  • Finally, this is factory sealed, still in its original cellophane wrapping. This is almost unheard-of for mail order versions. I think maybe there are a couple of collectors here on Doomworld who have cellophane-sealed copies of mail-order Doom (Dusty/Buckshot) but only because they have insane collections of deeply-rare stuff. I doubt there are any of Heretic apart from this one - if there are, they're in the hands of former id employees.

There was a time once when a "collector's item" was an object valued for its rarity and the context surrounding its creation / existence. As opposed to a $15 Funko Pop depicting Bad Guy #4 from Assassin's Ceeed 27. Anyways, this is selling for a lot because it is a collector's item.

Voltcom9 said:

Anything that has deep historic value isn't going to be cheap in a physical form, unsurprisingly.

A simple brick can be sold by 0.10$ or be simply found on the street, but an ancient brick used in an ancient pyramid will be sold by 100$, a virtual 3D model of a pyramid brick will be sold by 1$.

I will point out that bidding has ended, someone got this at 1,325.00 USD. Now it makes me wonder if they will say yes or no to an autograph.

It would be hilarious if they said no to the autograph. I bet even Romero himself would be like "...what?"

tbh I would get it if I had more disposable income but it is not viable for me pricewise at the moment. I will say it is a tad expensive however it is really hard to find an original version like this and i assume it will be signed by John Romero so frm thos standpoint I understand the cost of it