Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

The Doom Movie, For Real This Time?

DivineError said:

What the heck do ya expect them to make of mario brothers? I mean, a bunch of pixel plumbers shooting fireballs at turtles and shrinks when he gets hurt. Not to mention going through pipes and breaking blocks to get to secret places. How the heck were you supposed to make the movie like that game when the game didnt even really protray any type of reality or rules.

It could litterally be interpreted in any way someone wants, much like a book. Thats why book readers always say the book was better, because they could think of it the way they wanted it to be. It is their imagination. This is the same for game movies. I am sure every single person out there has a different view of what a "real" doom world would be like, because the story isnt detailed enough about anything. Everyone has their own conclusions, so you can't expect a game movie to be perfectly how you wanted, because they CAN'T be!

We could expect at least a bit of faith kept to the game.

King Koopa is a ... human-looking dinosaur? What the hell are those Goombas supposed to be?

If you can't even keep faithful to the basic characters, if the game by itself does not even LEND to a recreation on camera, then perhaps it is better not to try.

Note: see Superman script from link above.

DivineError said:

What the heck do ya expect them to make of mario brothers? I mean, a bunch of pixel plumbers shooting fireballs at turtles and shrinks when he gets hurt. Not to mention going through pipes and breaking blocks to get to secret places. How the heck were you supposed to make the movie like that game when the game didnt even really protray any type of reality or rules.

It could litterally be interpreted in any way someone wants, much like a book. Thats why book readers always say the book was better, because they could think of it the way they wanted it to be. It is their imagination. This is the same for game movies. I am sure every single person out there has a different view of what a "real" doom world would be like, because the story isnt detailed enough about anything. Everyone has their own conclusions, so you can't expect a game movie to be perfectly how you wanted, because they CAN'T be!

Uhh Well the game was like that cause Basically we play games to get Away from reality, not to stay in it, I'd rather play a game that doesnt make any sense as to reality than some game that is Exactly like life, it would just be plain tidius imo. I do agree with how the Mario Bros. movie could be hard to make somewhat "good" but they could at least make the things look the least bit like they were in the game, if that type of technology was possible back then ;P

Arioch said:

We could expect at least a bit of faith kept to the game.

King Koopa is a ... human-looking dinosaur? What the hell are those Goombas supposed to be?

If you can't even keep faithful to the basic characters, if the game by itself does not even LEND to a recreation on camera, then perhaps it is better not to try.

I most 100% agree.

Hey, lookit. Bottom line is that we've all gotta bitch about this PG-13 thing, let's face it. If you see a steamdemon comin at ya ur gonna say "oh fuck". It hasta be R, and then it has a shot. And if they're gonna base the movie on D3, which is supposed to be a retelling of ultimate, then the guy who does the script has got to read the novels first. If they do that, the movie has an even better chance. I've wanted to see the movie come out but I always knew that when they did, they were most likely gonna screw it up. If they be smart about it though they can make the best movie of all time.
If they do screw this up though I'm gonna kill.

Things like the Dungeons & Dragons movie come to my mind... except that here DOOM is a more concise thing that was originally less open to "political correctness." So the greater contrast between the game and what the movie will probably be will most likely be unbearable.

Also, DOOM is kind of based on Aliens, right? The Aliens movies always had those scientists or corporate CEOs trying to profit from things and making a mess... it's strange how this movie (itself) should become an analogy of that motto.

I'm quite sure that if this particular movie is made, it will be crap. It would also ruin the possibility of a better movie ever being made. Lets email id about how much we think it would suck.

How to make a freaking badass movie:
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
Snatch
Memento
Falling Down
The Usual Suspects
True Romance
Terminator 1 and 2
Predator
Aliens
Evil Dead 2

All of those happen to be rated R.

if done right this could be one of the greatest things ever...but of course it won't be done right. a doom movie is more than likely going to suck, and that makes me very sad. as for pg-13..what the hell? c'mon, if it does get made and i do go see it, i wanna see it in all it's gory awesomeness...dammit...this news makes me sad...

wavelength121 said:

As I recall, John Romero said he would want Patrick Swayze to play the Doom Marine, because he did such a good job in Stargate. Hmmm. I can see that.

I assume you mean Kurt Russell.

jeah, Doom movie...it will never EVER be like the game, because it's a MOVIE, and not a GAME.

10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD !"
20 LET DOOM=GOOD MOVIE
30 IF DOOM = GOOD MOVIE THEN GOTO CINEMA
40 ELSE GO TO CINEMA ANYWAY
50 RUN

iamtehfukinbasicking

The_Aeromaster said:

steamdemon[/B]

[B]then the guy who does the script has got to read the novels first

On the contrary, that would be one of the several things that would absolutely kill any enjoyment I might derive from the movie.

The Resident Evil movie gave me the impression of Doom III on low budget. I mean, it's about marines taking out zombies in science labs. I hope the Doom movie gets a bigger budget. I want better guns and better special effects. Although that's gonna conflict with the PG-13 rating...

maga said:

jeah, Doom movie...it will never EVER be like the game, because it's a MOVIE, and not a GAME.

10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD !"
20 LET DOOM=GOOD MOVIE
50 RUN

iamtehfukinbasicking

Eww? Basic? Die please :)

The_Aeromaster said:

Hey, lookit. Bottom line is that we've all gotta bitch about this PG-13 thing, let's face it. If you see a steamdemon comin at ya ur gonna say "oh fuck". It hasta be R, and then it has a shot. And if they're gonna base the movie on D3, which is supposed to be a retelling of ultimate, then the guy who does the script has got to read the novels first. If they do that, the movie has an even better chance. I've wanted to see the movie come out but I always knew that when they did, they were most likely gonna screw it up. If they be smart about it though they can make the best movie of all time.
If they do screw this up though I'm gonna kill.

The novels are the root of all evil. Please never mention those horrible things again.

bigbadgangsta said:

The novels are the root of all evil. Please never mention those horrible things again.

heh

I wanna write the movie :(

Hmm, I don't know. The idea of a tap dancing cyber demon could bring a whole new meaning to Doom and what about the cheerleader barons of hell in the back ground... I'm sure it'll be a wonderful movie.

In serious thought:
I think it's probably going to be another Final Fantasy anime over advertised thing, there is just no way you can put PG-13 on a movie that revolves around blood, gore and death.

there is just no way you can put PG-13 on a movie that revolves around blood, gore and death.

Yeah but their gonna ruin it trying. :( God damn, just look at what the bastards did to the Crow. First movie rocked, 2nd / 3rd sucked more than any movie should be allowed.... did anyone else see the 3rd movie?!?! There should be a support group somewhere for people who did. Everything hollywood touches turns to shit.

If I should ever find a toy demon in my Happy Meal I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

Hey, wait, I never visit McDonalds :P

ok, if you can't imagine a PG 13 doom, think about this example:
doom the game = starship troopers
starship troopers --> starship troopers animated movie (if u haven't seen it, imagine a movie made for kids without a single hero dying along the way..and then think about the real starship troopers)

doom the game -- > -l- R.I.P.

should this movie really happen it would be very, very bad for my sanity..this is sad

The_Aeromaster said:

let's face it. If you see a steamdemon comin at ya ur gonna say "oh fuck".

I wouldn't. I'd be too busy trying to get away. What exactly is a steamdemon anyway?

sysyphus said:

I wouldn't. I'd be too busy trying to get away. What exactly is a steamdemon anyway?

It's what the faggot books call a Cyberdemon.

DOOM movie? Damn the PG-13 rating. It better be rated R and be at least as good as RE with it's effects. I'm all for Mel "Gib" Gibson or Bruce Willis playing the DOOM marine and at least half a dozen others tagging along in the beginning with a kinda "wtf is going on?!" attitude.

maga said:

10 PRINT "HELLO WORLD !"
20 LET DOOM=GOOD MOVIE
50 RUN

10 PRINT "BASIC sucks!"
20 IF THIS=CODED IN BASIC GOTO 40
30 PRINT "Thank God this isn't in BASIC!" THEN GOTO END
40 PRINT "OMG BASIC Su><0rz eww kthxbye."
50 PRINT 10000 LINES OF RANDOM 1337-SPEAK GARBAGE
60 END