Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Suitepee

JohnSuitepee's Doom wad/mod requests extravaganza 2017! (THE LIST IS FINALLY COMPLETED)

EDIT: Don't request Sunder, Speed of Doom or the Community Chest series. I intend on playing those three as my "wads to play in 2017" anyway. Sorry to have forgotten about that detail.

On 1/30/2017 at 9:26 PM, dobu gabu maru said:

A tl;dr of request rules:

• You have all of the month of February to make requests
  • One request per person. Priority of playthroughs is based on number of requests per wad.
  • John reserves the right to refuse any request (eg Chillax [singleplayer], Dark Tartarus, okuplok map, terrywads)
  • Ironman league wads are OK to request (assuming they're not on the list already)
  • Doom wads only (no heretic/hexen/quake)
  • A reason must be given along with a request (better reason -> more of a desire to play said wad)
  • Feel free to request gameplay mods (note that you need to add a wad John has already played through with it [eg "Brutal Doom with TNT: Evilution"])

In conjunction with this Youtube video, here is the accompanying Doomworld thread where people can request what Doom wads and gameplay mods I should play for the rest of the year on my livestreams, and possibly beyond! Which some people will have been eager to see for a while now.
I will close the requests at the end of February, so you'll have an entire month to decide what to choose. And please request some interesting things, and not just hard wads designed to make me rage all the time.....

My completed Doom wad list (Doom wad requesters avoid these, Doom mod requesters choose from these):

Spoiler

1Monster
100th Wave
1024: ABC edition (Joe-ilya's megawad!)
2002: A Doom Odyssey (10th Anniversary Edition)
3 Heures D'Agonie
50 Monsters
Absolutely Killed (beta)
Ancient Aliens
Alien Vendetta
Alkyation
A.L.T
Adventures of Square E1
Azagthoth
Back to Saturn X Episodes 1 and 2
Based (closed beta)
Bauhaus
BELLA II
Bloody Steel
Brutal Doom v19
Brutal Doom v20b Starter Pack
Cabro's Legacy
Coffee Break Episode 1
Combat Shock
ConC.E.R.Ned
Crimson Canyon
Crumpets
Dank Midis and Linedefs v1.7 (Bemused's wad)
dead.wire
DoomJr
Doom Memorial
Doom The Way Id Did
Doom: The Golden Souls
Doom 2 In Name Only
Doom 2 Reloaded
Doomworld Mega Project 2013, 2014 & 2015
Double Impact
Erkattanne
Fava Beans
Fifty Shades of Graytall
Five Rooms of Doom (beta3)
Freudian Slipgate
Going Down
Ghosts of Pingfang
Icarus: Alien Vanguard
HacX v1.2
Hellbound
Hell Ground
Hell 'N Wires
Hell Revealed
Holy Hell
Japanese Community Project
Joe-ilya's "Lost Maps 1 & 2"
Joy of Mapping 1, 2 and 3
Knee Deep In ZDoom
License to Ilya
Lunatic
Mayan Mishap
Mayhem 2048 (aka Mayhem 2014)
Memento Mori
Monochrome Mapping Project
Monster Hunter Ltd 1 & 2
No Rest For The Living
NOVA: The Birth & NOVA 2: New Dawn
Perdition's Gate
Pirate Doom
Plutonia 1024
Plutonia Experiment (Final Doom)
Plutonia 2
Realm of Chaos
Requiem
Resurgence
Russian Speedmapping Contest #18
Rylayeh
Scythe 1 & 2
Secretdoom: Disrepair & The Green Machine (Cyberdemon531 wad series)
Serenity trilogy (aka Infinity, Serenity and Eternity)
Shotgun Symphony
Shrooms
STRAIN
Strange Aeons
Suspended In Dusk
Switcheroom
Sunlust (maps 21-30 on HMP difficulty)
The Redemption I & II
THT: Threnody
Thy Flesh- Turned Into A Draft Excluder
TNT: Evilution (Final Doom)
TVR (Thomas van der Welden's Revolution!)
UAC Ultra
Unloved
Ultimate Torment & Torture
Valiant
Vanguard
Vile Flesh
Violence (psnAD79's 4-map wad)
Winter's Fury
ZPack

Edited by Suitepee

Aetherius w/ Hellbound as Flora [the main character class of the mod]. Aetherius is downloaded here [also mod information is here] @ https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=54914 [other download links are in the ZDF topic]

Reason: To help get the mod a bit more public, and then see how it plays with some other mapsets, like Hellbound in this case.

Recommended GZDoom version: the 2.3.2 version packed in with the main ComboPack Git

I also recommend Freelook/Mouselook, Jumping and Crouching turned on for this for the sake of increasing your evasiveness in combat, which is really helpful for surviving early on. If you come upon areas you can break by jumping or crouching, just resist the urge to break sequence. I highly recommend keeping Jump/Crouch/Freelook on. I also recommend turning off autoaim as well since some attacks of hers are better with freeaim. Oh yeah, one of the spells is flight more or less, so you could use that to break sequence even IF you were to turn off Jumping, so yeah, no point having those disabled. :P

Another Note: The Skill 5/Nightmare Equalvalent doesn't make monsters respawn or fast-monsters [those are actually individual options you can toggle], but it will make monsters' stats higher, so if you wanna try Skill 5, go ahead, but I do ask at least a Skill 4 run here. :o

Also, we will probably need to go over some things or suggestions and get you up to speed so you're not going into the mod 100% blind, so IM on Discord or so would be best recommended [for live chat]. Maybe we'll talk via PM on Discord, if you want to about more specfics/details.

There's also a few keys, like "Zoom", "Weapon State 1", "Run" and some more obvious-named one you'll need to bind for this mod.

Complex Doom with Scythe 1

Complex Doom is a Zandronum mod that changes the gameplay in cool ways. The most notable features are that each monster is replaced with a random pool of cool monsters, and you also get great weapons like the quad shotgun, BFG 10k, etc. I won't spoil too much. There will be lots of surprises! Scythe I is a nice mapset to pair it with -- maps are short, have a variety of monsters, and should be quite doable even in Complex Doom without much frustration, at least before the larger maps.

A 20 minute video Suite o_O

A tl;dr of request rules:

• You have all of the month of February to make requests
  • One request per person. Priority of playthroughs is based on number of requests per wad.
  • John reserves the right to refuse any request (eg Chillax [singleplayer], Dark Tartarus, okuplok map, terrywads)
  • Ironman league wads are OK to request (assuming they're not on the list already)
  • Doom wads only (no heretic/hexen/quake)
  • A reason must be given along with a request (better reason -> more of a desire to play said wad)
  • Feel free to request gameplay mods (note that you need to add a wad John has already played through with it [eg "Brutal Doom with TNT: Evilution"])

Well, if you like the color blue - no one's posted a video of beating Plasmaplant on UV... One idgame review claims it is impossible, but I know fully well it is not.

Sorry for the shameless self plug! I'd say Miasma or Putrefier but there are already videos for those.

I'm going to request Urania, played on UV from Pistol Start. Large, highly non-linear maps with plenty of cool ideas and quirks to them. Difficulty is quite high (Plutonia-inspired after all!) with a focus on incidental combat rather than lock-in setpiece encounters, making it stand out from other modern "hard" wads.

My map? When it's done. With Smooth Doom. (Designed with it's compatibility in mind.)

Reason. ...because I'd like to see you play it. I've designed this map in a very linear way. It's an experience that really can only played one primary way. There is plenty of variety in my map and I try to use GZDoom features in a way that makes the map look better. 3D Floors are there, but they aren't the primary focus. The monsters are modified to drop items, so there is an incentive to battle tougher monsters.

Some hard/slaughter WADs I'd suggest:

New Gothic Movement 1 by ArmouredBlood (Boom): definitely inspired by Sunder, might be good practice for it. There aren't only slaughtermaps, but most of them are.
Phmlspd.wad by Phml (Boom): this might not be on /idgames, if it isn't, I can send it to you. Some slaughtermaps, some difficult non-slaughter maps with evil enemy placement and room design.
Stardate 20X6 by Ribbiks (Boom): Come on, you can't put it off forever. At least it's not Swim With The Whales.
Combat Shock 2 by dannebubinga (Boom): Pretty much improves on Combat Shock in every way.
dead.air by Xaser (ZDoom): Recently played on Vinesauce Joel's stream, it's a ZDoom slaughtermap with monster and weapon replacements. The weapons feel awesome.

Not so hard but really cool WADs:

Oniria and Oniria 2 by Aluqah (ZDoom): Two maps that pretty much defined what could be done with ZDoom in their time. You actually need to play these.
Void by Cyb (ZDoom): the predecessor to Oniria in many ways. Also pretty mandatory.
ZPack by various authors (ZDoom): in the style of KDiZD, but with a less coherent direction and better maps. Three 10-map episodes.
Base Ganymede by Khorus (vanilla): one of the best vanilla megawads in my opinion.

Solarn said:

*stuff*

And which ONE of those would you request me to play out of all of those suggestions?

Watching your playthroughs of my maps in THT entertained me greatly, you've earned yourself another subscriber. The masochist in me wants to suggest TheDevilzWork, but I'm interested to hear your thoughts on The Sinister Seven which is a lot more friendly.

EDIT: Two of the maps in it were in DMP2015 and DMP2014, as a small heads up

I am going to unashamedly shill my own wad here, Disjunction. Just, try the beta out - or whatever's the current one. Maybe I'll be done with whole version by the time.

Obviously I want to see you play it in real time so I can take notes on encounter design and whatnot, take some real critique and try to improve my further mapping.
10 maps, so it's not a megawad.

Bloodstainby Pipicz. One-man megawad, 5 years of building. Simply because it's a masterpiece that deserves to be played by anyone. It's well worth the time to play through it.

That, and your list doesn't have this, which is surprising really.

I also support Spectre01's Urania request.

Soundblock said:

Well, if you like the color blue - no one's posted a video of beating Plasmaplant on UV... One idgame review claims it is impossible, but I know fully well it is not.

Hey, I beat it for my Newstuff review. With plenty of saves, mind. :P

As for me, well...it'd be appreciated if you could give the beta for TNT: Revilution a spin when it comes out soon. There's a few extra surprises on MAP30. ;P

Suitepee said:

And which ONE of those would you request me to play out of all of those suggestions?

Probably dead.air, just because of how fun the weapons are.

Voltcom9 said:

Here's a somewhat joke wad designed for the Doomworld Community for Halloween of 2016.
I feel like the irony of John Suitpee playing a mapset designed exclusively around varieties of Revenants is awesome and would enjoy seeing a playthrough if you find the time. If not then no worries.

The Maps are designed for use in GZDoom in UDMF format using the Doom2 Iwad. All of the maps are quite short and tie together using a central hub. As a side note some secrets can be accessed with keys which must be found in other maps, so the player may find it beneficial to return to some maps with all or some of the keys.

Use of mouselook, crouch and jump is encouraged.

All enemies have been custom created by myself based on a joke thread about different types of revenants. Anyways, that's enough of me blabbering on about my wad. If you'd like to check it out, here's the DL link.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xzi6t5dav...en2016.wad?dl=0

Below is the original thread posting.
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1680648

The Dropbox link is broken.

Please play through DWANGO9 after I finish making it, feel free to pistol start it or not, it's especially accustomed to both players.

I think you'd have a lot of fun playing through redesigned DWANGO5 levels towards single player, it's a wad with a cozy atmosphere yet featuring hardcore gameplay with hidden strategies all around. (You could play on HMP if you're not that good at ammo and health conservation)

I'd recommend doing a run of Memento Mori 2. I see you've done the first one, and the second one was so much better to me personally.

There are a couple reasons why, first of all like I said the levels in general were so much better, and every single level has a unique MIDI this time around. They are very good MIDIs too.

Not incredibly challenging on UV but there's a few spots that sure did kick my ass.

The Void by Cyb. A single map, but it's a classic.

Also, do you have Heretic and/or Hexen?

Any Death-Destiny wads but you want only one so I suggest Crimson Horizon. It's not insanely hard on UV and the mood created by the custom midi and the textures pattern make this level worth to play

how about dank tartarus, it's gud xD

Panophobia which hopefully will get done this year. The argument of more dobu + mouldy maps should be enough for you to play it.

I'm going to request Castle Heng. From here: http://www.mediafire.com/?8v819qqh785509x

The text file describes the levels but doesn't have actual info about the wad, so here's a general blurb I wrote up for it:

Title : Castle Heng
Filename : castheng.wad
Author : James XIII
Release Date : 1994-1998?

Description : A 30-map megawad that mixes puzzle-based gameplay and (many) cyberdemon encounters with abstract level design and an overarching science fiction and fantasy narrative that has you exploring castles, spaceports,and prisons en route to a final confrontation against the Heng.

I am in love with this wad. It's not pretty by any stretch, but it's everything I love about 90s maps, mixing abstract design with a clear sense of narrative (you're working your way through a castle, then you go to space, then it seems like you die, and there's a bit more beyond). It's got exploration and puzzles and the later maps in particular become very switch and line action heavy, but the maps themselves are all small so you never really get lost or bogged down by the puzzles. Some of the combat is piss easy, but you better know how to handle cyberdemons, because there are an absolute ton of them, and in all kinds of different situations: sometimes you've got the BFG, other times you've got to SSG them, and yet other times (many times) you've just got to run the hell away or dodge them while waiting for a door to very slowly drop to the floor. It's got a map that makes great use of a spawner, and another one that features zero enemies, just some light puzzles.

Other maps that this kind of reminds me of: the early Odessa maps, low-fi Flynn or Evans work in general, and Cyberdreams (not as heavy on the puzzles, but definitely a lot of running around avoiding the things).

Ok so that's my general pitch for people to play it (c&p'd from an earlier post), but why should you play it? Well, a couple reasons:

1) I think this wad deserves to be remembered. It took a path that few future wads would follow, and as such remains a fairly unique experience. With someone reasonably high profile playing it I think it would have a better chance to be remembered, or encourage others to explore the path.

2) It's different and it does interesting things. This goes to the first point, but it might confound some of your expectations and I'd like to see how you respond to it.

3) It's neither particularly hard nor particularly long. While it is a megawad, most of the maps are very quick. Playing it shouldn't be too onerous.

4) There are very few revenants.

e: Note for down the road if you do decide to play this map: the wad really becomes trivialized if you don't pistol-start. If that is an issue, keep it in mind.

tourniquet said:

how about dank tartarus, it's gud xD

No. And now to explain why I refuse to play it.

As far as I'm aware it has the "Chillax" style thing of the author updating to make the maps even longer/harder every so often, or at least the first map (Arch Bridge) seems to have had this done to it when I played it briefly recently with a devious new start area added from the original ammo room. So I basically view DT as another Chillax.
As far as I can tell, and from what I've seen off a few UV-Max runs of it, Dark Tartarus is all about very very specifically designed ultra-hard traps (e.g. there's a level called 'Hex' I think that has Archviles in little "slit bunkers", that also happen to be the pillars of the level that the player must move around to progress) and I generally get the impression it's also designed mainly for co-op multiplayer ala Chillax.
Should somebody in detail prove me wrong on this, I may reconsider but I'm extremely put off by the apparent super high difficulty of the damn thing.

Ichor said:

Also, do you have Heretic and/or Hexen?

I have both games, but I need to play through them both properly; I only got up to E4M2 on my solo Heretic run, and I've barely touched Hexen. In future request runs I will allow for Hexen/Heretic wads once I've beaten the core games. (possibly Quake & Wolf3D stuff also) So on this occasion I'm just sticking to Doom wads.

Thanks for all the responses so far; seen some interesting requests pop up. Keep it up!

Just posting this in advance, but I'll be shamelessly bumping this thread from time to time (not too often), to make it easier to find for anyone who sees this later on in the month (since the requests close after February, and I'll be expecting some late ones) and wants to request something.

Also, interesting to note so far that I've not had anyone request the same thing yet; every single person has requested something different, which means I might have a LOOOOOOONG list to be getting on with in March, should I choose to accept them all....