Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

*** The "ask a miscellaneous editing question" thread ***

Predefined "lower to lowest floor (changes texture)" actions change the target sector's floor texture to the floor texture of the target sector's lowest neighboring sector. All other "(changes texture)" actions (both predefined and generalized) change the target sector's floor texture to the floor texture of the front sector of the activation linedef.

bzzrak said:

OK, thanks, but do they do anything when used for monsters?

No, in vanilla they only define HUD sprite offsets, not worldsprite offsets, so as long as you don't end up using the monster as a weapon somehow you should be fine.

IDK where to ask this, or whether anyone can help me.

Deutex 4.4 and above is said to have Hexen support. Yet it doesn't recognise the pallete while using it as the base IWAD to run commands. So, how is this full Hexen support? I've been using the latest 4.4.902 from the GitHub repo.

I'll be looking through the source code to find out where the pallete recognition code is, and maybe add Hexen pallete recognition. Oddly, I barely know anything about the inner working of Hexen's IWAD/exe, so it'll be tough.

It's like DECORATE with slightly different syntax, greater flexibility, more features, just (currently) less thorough documentation.

Spocks_Beard said:

Elevators and moving floors are acting like crushers.

They must be getting sick of motherfuckers riding them for free. So they stepped it up a notch to send the message by crushing sons uh bitches to death that they're not going to take no shit from freeloaders who don't show any appreciation for the ride they provide. They have obviously had just about enough freeloading.

I hope somebody can indulge me on the Deutex thing.

What's the maximum size/time of demo needed to run in vanilla?

Spocks_Beard said:

I can think of a few reasons why this might be happening. Can you provide some screens hots and tell us which actions you are using? Do you have it marked to crush. An example would be very helpful.

Addendum: Help us help you.

Unless it's a predefined action that is specifically meant to crush, there should be a "Crusher" option that you can uncheck. Where the option is depends on the map format and type of action you're using.

Also, every moving floor/ceiling can crush corpses and dropped ammo pickups, that's normal in this engine and cannot really be turned off on the floors/ceilings themselves, only by editing the corpses or pickups, maybe.

It just sounds a bit fishy that a crusher data type would inherit a tag#, unless specifically tagged that way. ~ or maybe picked up through some random script that probably shouldn't be loaded heh.

What's the tag #'s of the lift, it's switch, and the crusher?

MR.ROCKET said:

crusher data type
tag#
specifically tagged that way
picked up through some random script that probably shouldn't be loaded
the tag #'s of the lift, it's switch, and the crusher

Are you even talking about classic Doom editing?

Yep, not fully quoted but yeah..
It's in response to Spocks_Beard.

The part about the possibility of picking up some random script might have thrown you off.
In this case it wouldn't have anything to do with classic doom editing, but that sort of goes without saying heh.

Cheers

MR.ROCKET said:

The part about the possibility of picking up some random script might have thrown you off.

I've actually never seen any of the terms I've quoted from your post to be used in the context of Doom editing. A crusher could be a linedef action or an action special, but not "data type". I have no idea what "tag#" is supposed to mean. Tags are just arbitrary numbers given to sectors or linedefs, so how can anything be tagged "specifically that way"? And your last statement carries an implication that a lift and its switch are separate entities and yet they have some property in common, said property being mysteriously called "tag#" again.

Ah ok, sorry I didn't mean to confuse you.
It's pretty straight forward, really.

Tag# = Tag Number.. hence "#"

Data type = Action Special.. which is also known as a data number.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

There's really no sense in making an issue over something as simplistic as this.
I was just trying to help the guy out, I'm not into making an argument over nothing.

That said, a tag is a tag, it is going to have a number whether it's explained as a "number" or "#"..

In this case said TAG#(they mean the same thing), could be accidently tagged to several "entities" as you put it, thus creating a problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

But seems how we are talking classic doom editing, I'm guessing you mean "sectors" when you talk about "entities", if you want to go that route?
The term "entities" makes me think of a totally different editing type, GTK Radiant Editor for example.
But then the thread would get de-railed wouldn't it?
So lets not do that, shall we?

If you're having issues, or even editing issues scifista42, please feel free to pm me.
I've been into doom editing for over 20 years, so I'm sure I could help.

Thanks

I get it now. Each of us interpreted Spocks_Beard's post differently. You've interpreted it like this: "There is a sector that is intended to be a lift or a moving floor, but it doesn't work that way for some reason, and instead, the sector's ceiling starts going down and up, acting like a crusher". I've interpreted it like this: "There is a lift or a moving floor, and it works, but while it goes upwards, and a player or monster stands on its edge, and the top of the player's or monster's head hits the edge of a ceiling of a neighboring sector, the player or monster receives damage as the floor's edge pushes him into the ceiling's edge". This is why I was very confused why would you think that the problem has anything to do with tag numbers.

I get it now. Each of us interpreted Spocks_Beard's post differently. You've interpreted it like this: "There is a sector that is intended to be a lift or a moving floor, but it doesn't work that way for some reason, and instead, the sector's ceiling starts going down and up, acting like a crusher".

Yes, this is what I was thinking yes..
It's why I wanted to know the tag#/numbers. :)
Sorry again to be confusing though, I didn't mean to be.

To me the most confusing thing was this:

This was more of a statement than a question, without a how, why or what if.
Even though we assume it was a question, he could have just been stating that is what he wanted heh.

Anyway,
@Spocks_Beard, what are the tag numbers?

Thanks, Cheers

I didn't know my question would lead to this much debate! I probably should've phrased it differently.

The lifts and moving floors damage the player as if I'm being crushed or walking on lava.

Tag 88 WR Lift Lower

scifista42 said:

I get it now. Each of us interpreted Spocks_Beard's post differently. You've interpreted it like this: "There is a sector that is intended to be a lift or a moving floor, but it doesn't work that way for some reason, and instead, the sector's ceiling starts going down and up, acting like a crusher". I've interpreted it like this: "There is a lift or a moving floor, and it works, but while it goes upwards, and a player or monster stands on its edge, and the top of the player's or monster's head hits the edge of a ceiling of a neighboring sector, the player or monster receives damage as the floor's edge pushes him into the ceiling's edge". This is why I was very confused why would you think that the problem has anything to do with tag numbers.

Instead of "Why don't I have a custom title by now!?" your custom title should be "Legendary Forum problem solver" seems like you solve so many questions on here...

Spocks_Beard said:

I didn't know my question would lead to this much debate! I probably should've phrased it differently.

The lifts and moving floors damage the player as if I'm being crushed or walking on lava.

Tag 88 WR Lift Lower

That's not the Tag, that is the data type number for the given action. eg 88 is WR Lift Lower.

The Sector should have a Tag number, as well as the Linedefs.

If nothing has been tagged, then all your action types and sectors will have a default Tag of 0, which in turn would mean that your sector for both your lift and your crusher and the linedef action would all have the same tag of 0.
Which is what the problem is.

If you have a look at your linedef for your lift, it will need tagged to the sector in which you want to control.

So we'll say nothing has been tagged yet in your map at all yet.
If you give your lift linedef a tag of 1 and the sector for it a tag of 1, then it should work as intended.

An action type should always have a tag. otherwise it won't work or your whole map will move up and down or crush you etc.. as by default the tag is 0.
So make sure to tag your crusher also! give it a tag of 2. both its line and sector, like you did with the lift.

Also something to take in mind is that the action type your using is a WR. = Walk over Re-entry/Repeatable.
Are you able to walk over the line that activates your lift sector?
If not, use action 62 SR Lift lower wait raise. = Switch Re-entry/Repeatable.
This way you'd use your Use Key on the activation line to lower the lift sector.

Good luck

Spocks_Beard said:

Receiving damage from being crushed and receiving damage from walking on lava are very different things! If the sector damages you simply while you are standing in it, without any physical interaction with any ceiling, then it's probably just a plain simple damaging floor effect on the sector. Check the sector's own action, not the linedef's one.

I have two small questions regarding general compatibility.

a) In vanilla, does sprites suppose to stop projectile, or let them past through?

b) How can I get the corpse sliding effect that happens in Prboom+ to work on Zdoom?

a) Things that are solid and whose hitbox overlaps the projectile's hitbox both horizontally and vertically will stop the projectile, otherwise the projectile passes through. However, solid decorations usually have height 16 (including seemingly tall ones), and if the projectile passes above this height (which happens often), it continues flying. Similarly with monsters who have just been killed (which immediately reduces their height to 1/4), but their solid flag hasn't been removed yet (until moments later).
b) Try "compat_wallrun" in MAPINFO, it's the only one that is mentioned to be related to sliding.

I've assumed he meant how, for example, when you kill the chaingunners in the exit room of Doom 2 MAP22, they continue sliding across the room infinitely, thanks to the room's specific architecture and the bugged sliding code.

The MBF "torque simulation" to make corpses and various other items fall down is not implemented in ZDoom. Too finicky.

ZDoom once had it but that thing is so broken by design that at some point (long before I started working on it) it got dumped again.

Thank God! :D

Exactly which file in the Chocolate Doom source code contains the cheat code definitions?

Memfis said:

What is the corpse sliding effect?

If you kill someone/thing on the very edge of a stair/over hang/cliff in a perfect parallel line to the edge of the stair/over hang/cliff = they will slide along the very edge until they slide into a wall or over the edge.