Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egyptian Guardian

What are some great games that will run on my garbage laptop?

Here is the specs for it-

Processor: Intel Celeron CPU 1000M @ 1.80GHz 1.80GHz
Installed Memory(Ram):2.00 GB
System Type:64-bit Operating System
Graphics Card:Intel(R) HD Graphics
Disk Space:284GB

I'm mostly looking for FPS though any genre of classic PC game is permitted. The most recently released game I have played on it is Half-Life 2 and Portal, though I ran them at the lowest settings. They ran at a pretty constant framerate, so is there anything released around that time period thats complex in what it does but just as forgiving to run in that regard?

If the motherboard supports more ram, then you can run more modern games. If you don't care about graphics. Your setup is quite common in South America for low end Laptops and some people are even playing modern games with some tweaks here and there.

Mafia 1, I cant recommend it enough, it has probably one of the best stories told in a video game right next to Spec Ops: The Line

Bernie said:

The most recently released game I have played on it is Half-Life 2 and Portal, though I ran them at the lowest settings. They ran at a pretty constant framerate, so is there anything released around that time period thats complex in what it does but just as forgiving to run in that regard?

You have an awful integrated gpu/cpu combo acting as your bottleneck and if halflife 2 can just almost run properly, then your options seem limited to idtech 3 era games: the jediknight games, elite force 1 and 2, rtcw etc.

But that's saying a lot because halflife 2 will run remarkably well on terrible hardware.

Adding here:
Street Racing Syndicate / NFS Underground 2 (SRS has police cars, unlike nfsu2)
Quake 1-4
Doom 1-3
NFS Hot Pursuit 1 / 2
Jacked
Any of the Delta Force games.

Like i said, with some tweaks here and there you can play modern games. But you will need those 2 extra gb.
Same setup as you have Celeron 1000m and the same igpu

And that guy could get more fps, if he used some mods that disable more stuff.

On a side note, the Laptop is not garbage. It was never meant to be a gaming laptop at all.

Doom 2
FTL

You need nothing else.

If we are talking FPS you should be able to run Quake 1 - Quake 4 without any problems. Doom 3 as well if you should have any interest.

Unreal Tournament is always a fun bet too.

I previously had an Intel Integrated HD Graphics laptop from ~3 years ago and successfully played through Borderlands 2 on it with some tweaking, though I'm pretty sure that one had at least 4GB of memory.

Portal 2 should be okay- it's actually pretty well optimised if I remember correctly!
How about some indie games or other "non AA" titles- things like Nuclear Throne, Binding of Isaac Rebirth, Risk of Rain- so many to choose from!

My recommendation would be to look into Terraria, which is insanely fun. Kinda like a 2D Minecraft, except with tons of content and much more emphasis on fighting.

Worms Armageddon, like Dragonfly mentioned, is also a really fun game.

Pretty much anything in my GoG library. Let me think of anything that is a must play.

Baldurs Gate 1 and 2, Icewinddale 1 and 2. If you are a RPG fan, these are a must play. IWD is more combat focused and I never really played IWD 2.

Citybuilder series. Caesar 3, Pharaoh and Zeus. I love these games. They are kind of different from a Sim City game. Here, building a efficient city is more important than building a good looking city. I find Pharaoh has the right balance of features and doesn't fuck you over for building your city in the wrong spot where a scripted earthquake happens a few missions into a city.

Another citybuilder. Children of the Nile is a neat game. Unlike a lot of city builders, you don't have money and basic buildings are free. Higher up buildings need bricks to be built. This game was a surprising gem for me when I discovered it.

Deadly Rooms of Death. Absolutely the best puzzle game series I have ever played. The puzzles are great and it has a story to it. The story isn't really there in the first game, but picks up after the later games. Good puzzles and great humor

Rollercoaster Tycoon series. Doesn't need an explanation, just play it if you haven't and enjoy simulation games of any kind.

A few strategy games I never really got into. The Heroes of Might and Magic series, and the Age of Wonders series.

Might and Magic series. The M&M pack on GoG is worth picking up even if you only play M&M 6. Many hours of adventure in these games. 1 - 5 are outdated, but still playable. 6 - 8 are amazing, though I got burnt out part way into 8, but that's because I played 6 and 7 in a row and the similar gameplay can get tiring (after a long time).

Freespace 1 and 2. I only played the first game halfway through, but it's a great game. Mission based space shooter. I'd really recommend playing this.

The Build Engine trio. Duke Nukem 3d, Blood, and Shadow Warrior. You like FPS games and haven't played these? What are you waiting for, do it... now.

Some others I didn't really get into, but own anyway. The Ultima series, and the Fallout series. I might give these another try some day.

Edit: Dungeon Keeper 1/2 has been mentioned, but they are great games if you can get into them. The humour is good in them too, as per old Bullfrog games. That reminds me, Theme Hospital is another good game by Bullfrog.

FuzzballFox said:

Portal 2 should be okay- it's actually pretty well optimised if I remember correctly!

I have tried running Portal 2 on my computer multiple times and it crashes after the valve bootup screen. Which sucks, because I love the living shit out of the first one.

Doom
Dwarf Fortress
Half Life / Blue Shift / OPFOR
Arma Gold
System Shock 2
Lego Island
Red Alert 1/2
Darkest Dungeon
Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 with OpenRCT2
Postal 2
Postal Redux
Igar.io?
Doom 3?
Garrys Mod?
Emulators

Dragonfly said:

Lmfao. It must be nearly two decades since I've even thought about that game! Cute.

It's surprisingly still both very playable and fun. Super accessible too.

Meant to add: Black and White is a fantastically underated game by Lionhead. The Movies is also fantastic.

deus ex is another great game, it's a must play! it's kinda stealth/action in the sense that you can complete missions in different ways - you can go in guns blazing, take out guards stealthily, or just crawl through the vents and not be seen. plus, its story and gameplay are just pretty coolio in general.

here's some other good games:

- spelunky

- gta 3

- gta vice city

- gta san andreas

- simcity 4

- organ trail

- audiosurf 2

- swat 4

- carmageddon 2