Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Sudden loud sounds in Chocolate Doom

In Chocolate Doom I can occasionnaly hear one of the sounds suddenly playing at a higher volume. It's quite disturbing and makes me want to avoid using the port.

I managed to record two occurences on audio. Please listen to this file at 2:14 and 2:32 to check them out.

If you need more context, here is the demo of that playthrough (plays back with maihamav1.wad).

Anyone experienced something similar?

edit: I just tried playing that demo back and didn't get the loud sounds this time. So this stuff is not reproducible it seems...

This has once been reported against Crispy Doom as well, but I never managed to reproduce it. Are you sure the sound that "pops up" is really a Doom sound? Sounds more like a random noise artifact to me.

Maes said:

Doom's sound volume function can play some weird tricks on you, especially if large maps and extreme distances are involved, as I already discussed here.

I figure that, but shouldn't it be reproducible then?

Happens to me in any slot I think. This time it was on Map01.

I remember years ago having a similar problem in ZDaemon but the occurences were a lot more rare. I think nowadays I don't get this at all in ZDaemon.

I get the same thing, and part of me wonders if SDL Mixer is somehow forgetting what volume a sound ought to be and setting it all the way to the maximum for a breif fraction of a second. It happens far too rarely to bother me, though. I can confirm that the sound glitch is not limited to just level 8. It happens most often for me on the pistol/chaingun sound.

It's likely a race condition between SDL_mixer and the SDL audiospec thread. Accounts for the rarity, inconsistency, and unpredictability. PS I've also had it happen, including in Chocolate Strife.

My chocolate-doom.exe is dated 29.12.2016 19:55 and seems like the version is 2.3.0, is that with SDL2 or not? In any case, I'll try the build you suggest.

I didn't experience this bug since I got rid of my old Windows XP computer which had a SoundMax sound card. I had never experienced this bug while playing DosBox on the same computer, but both use SDL.

Old bug (2011) reported here: https://github.com/chocolate-doom/chocolate-doom/issues/164 (sound file included in the bug report)

@Memfis What is your sound card?

Maes said:

I like how you are precise and hyperbolic at the same time.

What did Quasar do that fixed bugs like these in Eternity? Just the equalizer? It even uses SDL_mixer 1.2, not 2. If it weren't GPL3, you would be able to copy the code into Chocolate-Doom without scandal.

printz said:

What did Quasar do that fixed bugs like these in Eternity? Just the equalizer? It even uses SDL_mixer 1.2, not 2. If it weren't GPL3, you would be able to copy the code into Chocolate-Doom without scandal.

Eternity uses its own software mixer, not SDL_mixer's. We only link that library in order to use its audio setup code (easier than using SDL directly) and its music libraries, currently.

Also there are two remedies to that "issue;" the first is to go back in time to the last officially GPL 2.0 version of the EE codebase and take the stuff from there, because it hasn't changed much since then. The 2nd is to invoke the special permission granted by me for properly free software Doom port projects to use code from EE under GPL 2.0.

Quasar said:

It's likely a race condition between SDL_mixer and the SDL audiospec thread. Accounts for the rarity, inconsistency, and unpredictability.

What this bug reported to SDL's team?