Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jimmy

Post your Doom textures!

Jonathan said:

Years ago, I used Paint Shop Pro, as it supported using layers, blend modes, filters, dithering, etc. in 256 colour mode. But when I look nowadays, it seems like all modern graphics editors have dropped support for palettes.

Paint.net supports using layers, blend modes, filters, dithering, etc. in billions (not really) of colours.

Any ideas for texture edits? Mainly looking to do more iwad edits.

EDIT: I decided to make these two "beauties".

Dragonfly said:

Any screenshots of them in use? :D

Not yet, unfortunately. But I'll definitely use these flags for the next project.

Did some quick edits from a switch in CC4 this morning and well, this is what I got:

Nothing groundbreaking but I dunno, I quite like them hehe.

Do whatever you want with them :)

Sgt Ender said:

Can I apply a different hue to them

"Do whatever you want with them." Should be simple enough.

antares031 said:

Tried to make a bunch of flag textures, inspired by those from Heretic:

Cool flags Antares! Do you have a blank one we can use as a template?

40oz said:

Do you have a blank one we can use as a template?

Here you go, a flag texture without color and pole:

Alternatively, you can use the original blank flag texture that I used from here.

Sayok6 said:

Paint.net supports using layers, blend modes, filters, dithering, etc. in billions (not really) of colours.

Yes, I know. That's the problem. Because most of those billions of colours are not represented in the Doom palette. That means you have to work in high-color and do a final conversion to the Doom palette. Which can have... mixed results, depending on how well the colours map to those in the palette.

Some old editors let you work directly in 256 colours. For example, you could do a gradient fill, and it would only use those colours that were available in the palette, but would apply special dithering to make the gradient seem smoother. Similarly, when you drew shapes, or blended layers, the result would be constrained to the palette colours.

The result was that what you saw in the editor was always equivalent to what you would see in the game, and it allowed you optimise for the limitations of the palette at every stage, instead of having to use trial and error to create something that would convert well as a final step.

Liking these textures so far.

I may use some of them on my WIP which I have been working on for a year. Guess why I've been working on it for a year?

Spoiler

If you've guessed art sessions, ye :V

Lots and lots of drawers:

These are intended as the drawers' sides, but can work well in their own right:

I think for the marble and wooden drawers, the doors should have a different pattern from the rest, so that it looks like separate pieces of wood/marble/whatever rather than something carved in a single block that merely imitates the facade of a drawer but isn't actually a functional piece of furniture. If you get what I mean.

Thanks, didn't even think of that!

Here's an alternate version, where I've mirrored each of the drawers:

BTW I'm aware a couple of these don't tile properly (especially the marble); I'll fix these sometime in the next week or so.

Incidentally, all of these have the drawers located in exactly the same place, so it's pretty easy to create mishmashes:

Howdy, small request. Could anyone do a blue recolour of STARTAN1 and 2, I can make basic stuff myself but recolors I suck at badly.

I do appreciate doom's blues are rather harsh, but if someone didn't mind giving it bash I would be very happy!

A bit of quick texture surgery based on Freedoom's "amod1.gif" patch and a couple of Aquatex lights:

If you saw that on a wall, would you think it likely to be a switch?

I think my first inclination when seeing a texture like that would be "that's a light". But it would depend on the context. That is to say, if its not being used everywhere as a light already, then I could see it being a switch.

The texture above looks closer to LITE-something than SW-something to me. Honestly, I never recognize custom switches as being switches at first sight, unless they look very similar to switches that I already know. Otherwise, they have to be placed and highlighted in such a way that prompts me to try pressing them, and yet I'll be likely to think that it just might be a secret. It requires repeated encounters with the texture to get used to it.

scifista42 said:

It requires repeated encounters with the texture to get used to it.

Given that it will likely be used a few times in FreeDoom, I imagine that repetition will be present.

That said I personally feel that the texture still needs an evident 'call to action': a button / slide-switch / lever... Something that makes it obviously 'usable'.

The other solution is to make it so the first time the player encounters that switch there's no other way for the player to leave the room they're in, making it somewhat obvious.

Dragonfly said:

Given that it will likely be used a few times in FreeDoom, I imagine that repetition will be present.

As far as I can see, the feature I used as a switch when composing that texture pair (a segment extracted from of one of the Aquatex coloured-light flats) is not used as a switch anywhere in Freedoom. Freedoom has a set of actual switch patches which are used for its stock switch textures, but I don't like the techbase-flavoured part of Freedoom's switch patches.

Liberation said:

Howdy, small request. Could anyone do a blue recolour of STARTAN1 and 2, I can make basic stuff myself but recolors I suck at badly.

I do appreciate doom's blues are rather harsh, but if someone didn't mind giving it bash I would be very happy!

The way I would do this would be to export the texture as a png using Slade, open it up in something like Paint.net and apply a grayscale filter, reimport it back into Slade, and then use Slade's color remap function to simply map all the gray ranges to blue. Does that make sense? D:

You could also just use SLADE's colorize feature (with white as the color) to make it greyscale, instead of exporting it. I always do that for quick recolors of graphics that don't work well with color remap on its own.

Tango said:

The way I would do this would be to export the texture as a png using Slade, open it up in something like Paint.net and apply a grayscale filter, reimport it back into Slade, and then use Slade's color remap function to simply map all the gray ranges to blue. Does that make sense? D:

Grain of Salt said:

You could also just use SLADE's colorize feature (with white as the color) to make it greyscale, instead of exporting it. I always do that for quick recolors of graphics that don't work well with color remap on its own.

Hey, thanks guys I will give that a bash, nice one :-)

grommile said:

A bit of quick texture surgery based on Freedoom's "amod1.gif" patch and a couple of Aquatex lights:

http://imgur.com/llks4xR

Yes, it looks like a light. Here's why:

First the black border makes it look like it's recessed into the wall. Most switches are patches added on top of a wall texture, so their backgrounds are lighter in color and appear closer to the viewer. Look at the grey bar area above the light. The bar is lighter and stands out. The area above the bar is darker, indicating it's further away. The area below the bar is even more dark; looking like it's recessed with an additional shadow. You also have a double row of black at the top of the light which makes it look recessed with the addition of a shadow line. BTW, there's an error at the bottom edge of the light. Either a row is missing, or the bottom border was placed one row too low.

Second, as was mentioned, nothing mechanical happens when you use the switch. If it's a green 'push button' that pops back out as red when you use it, maybe you need an intermediate greyed-out switch texture that's even more recessed. This could also be easily fixed with just the addition of a card slot.

Third, the 'switch' is proportionally too large for the texture. Meaning: the grey bar area and warning area are very large and separate the texture into two distinct areas. It makes the texture feel shorter than it actually is, so the 'switch' looks out of proportion to just the lower area. Again, more like a light.

Honestly, when I saw it, I thought they were Key Door indicator lights and wondered where the blue and yellow ones were.

I'm going through this obscure SNES game called Treasure of The Rudras and making some textures for some of my projects. The maps won't get done any time soon in this rhythm, but I might as well share some textures:

Liberation said:

Here's a quick and dirty color conversion; I'm sure the darker/shadowed areas need touch-up. Wasn't sure how dark you needed it, so I made two. If you need it lighter, I'm sure any image editor can do that for you pretty easily. While I was playing, I made a full-color set for use with Keys. Can't seem to stop myself from doing that.

I also made some red/gree/blue/yellow recolours of STARTAN litereally the other day, I'll edit this post when I come home. here
Effingham did them better though.

Just open SLADE, select a necessary patch, press "colourise" on the panel on the right, choose blue and there you go.

grommile said:

http://imgur.com/llks4xR

amod1... Oh that's Aquatex also.

I'll be blunt: no. If there was some kind metal/shiny border around it, then it might be recognisable as switch.