Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OliveTree

Teleporting Monsters/Things in General

I'd like to set up a situation where I have a conveyor belt of stuff leading to a linedef that teleports the stuff to another sector. I've checked the zdoom wiki and various other places but I can only find thing specific advice like: "teleport thing with tag 8 to blah blah" not just to teleport whatever it was that crossed the linedef.

Is that even possible? I feel like I've seen that happen in Doom 2 somewhere and probably some doom mods also but for the life of me I cannot figure it out.

Any thing that crosses a walkover teleport action linedef with get teleported, and also any non-player thing that crosses a "monsters-only" walkover teleport action linedef, so just use one of these (how they're named and where they are may depend on the map format you're mapping in, but the action's name is usually simply "Teleport"). Keep in mind that if the teleported thing is a non-player and the map slot is not MAP30, the teleportation will fail if the destination spot is occupied by something.

agh! Duh. Thanks a billion man, my problem was just that I didn't place a teleport destination I just marked the sector and kept testing the map. Teleports always trip me up...

Sort of unrelated but is it possible to make a script that just crashes the game? As in just closes the program? What would that script be?

EtherBot said:

is it possible to make a script that just crashes the game?

Yes.

EtherBot said:

As in just closes the program?

No, at least not properly and reliably. The kind of crash I'm talking about is the one that makes the engine freeze and then your OS shuts it down and you're asked to report the error. Instead, you should use one of the actions that regularly exit the level (either normal exit or secret exit), and use MAPINFO to define that exiting the level (either normal or secret, the other one would be used for the intended next level) should go to the title screen or cast screen, from which the player will have to access the menu and either quit or start a new game depending on what he wants.

EtherBot said:

Sort of unrelated but is it possible to make a script that just crashes the game? As in just closes the program? What would that script be?

If you don't mind both an error message and freezing the game for an instant before it crashes:

while(TRUE){
    // Do anything here, anything at all, teleport something somewhere, open a door, add some numbers, but do something.
}
This is dumb, a terrible idea and it would be way better if you told us why you want this. Are you making a terror game that relies in closing the game by surprise?