Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

Make a better Pistol or Pistol-llike weapon.

Doom 2016 continues the classic tradition of bad, throwaway starter weapons. This is a tradition I would like Id to abandon, especially after making an excellent Pistol in RAGE.

I am not saying it should be like in RAGE, what I am saying is that it should be more than just a last resort weapon. Here are a few solutionsȘ

- Replace it with the Repeater. When I first saw the leaks of this weapon I immediately thought it looked like the weapons the classic Marine and Zombieman sprites held. It also felt like a good Pistol replacement. It has a three bullet burst and a magnum alt-fire. Like the Shotgun, it had the potential to be a workhorse weapon.

- Create a Pistol variant that doubles its damage (up to 32x) for each headshot combo. Skill is an important factor in old shooters and this would make the Pistol an excellent skill-based weapon.

- Replace it with the Hellshot, but with a few modifications. I really like the MP Hellshot. It is a really precise, long-range weapon that does moderate damage per shot. The modification I would make would be that the ammo it uses is the gore absorbed from fallen monsters. This would not only give players a fighting chance if they run out of ammo but would also provide a gameplay AND lore reason for disappearing corpses.

is a pistol type weapon even necessary?

Why not have shotgun as starting weapon

The pistol is there for people who want to do a run with it only.

It exists as a cannon fodder killer, ammo saver, and backup backup backup gun. It is there to ensure that you always have at least something to fight with. It's not meant to be used unless you specifically want to or have no other option, both are very rare occourances. I do wish it wasn't anot energy weapon, however, but that's just taste.

drokk said:

is a pistol type weapon even necessary?

Why not have shotgun as starting weapon

The pistols purpose is to make a starting point to measure every subsequent weapons power. For example, try playing quake. Many of the monsters are damage sponges and you start with a shotgun that barely does shit. The super shotgun doesn't do a whole lot more damage than the regular shotgun does. Meanwhile, in regular Doom, the pistol sucks at everything, and your super shotgun does 21x more damage! Holy shit!

The pistol doesn't really exist to be useful as much as it does to create a baseline that makes the amount of damage the following weapons do make sense.

It also serves its purpose as an all-range weapon, preventing you from getting into a situation where you can't kill something because it's too far away. Sure, it's not powerful, but you don't have to worry about making your shots count with its infinite ammo and if your long-range weapons are out of ammo then you can always fall back onto your pistol.

Yeah, DOOM4 pistol is trash. I don't think I've ever used it past the first level. I'm all for something more substantial, or at least more fun to use.

It looks pretty cool though.

They probably added it to just teach newcomers that they can weaken enemies before glory killing them, a Shotgun would kill possessed with 1 or 2 shot.

Touchdown said:

Yeah, DOOM4 pistol is trash. I don't think I've ever used it past the first level. I'm all for something more substantial, or at least more fun to use.

It looks pretty cool though.

Whip it out to kill possessed in your way so you don't have to stop and glory kill them. If you upgrade it fully you can kill imps with the charge (it doesn't slow you down, it just zooms the FOV so you appear to slow)

Doing this can save you ammo for other weapons that are necessary for stronger enemies

It's useful when you need a glory kill and can't risk over-damaging the enemy, e.g. in Arcade Mode where a glory kill is going to mean extending your chain timer.

Well, the pistol is a trash weapon, but it is much better than the other Doom pistols. Once upgraded three charged headshots can kill a Hell Knight. Can't do that with the classic Doom pistol, could ya? Thought so.

GoatLord said:

It's easily the best pistol in the series.

It's really not. It's just as bad as the classic one and that's just bad.

^ Not if you upgrade it, It's sort of faster than the original and it's alt fire can be really useful (if the game didn't drown you in ammunition).

Next time they should just make the pistol a revolver, with limited ammo. Alt fire can be the left hand cocking the hammer back for rapid shots with an accuracy penalty.

Sig said:

Next time they should just make the pistol a revolver, with limited ammo. Alt fire can be the left hand cocking the hammer back for rapid shots with an accuracy penalty.

Eeeh, Revolvers don't really feel like Doom.

DooM_RO said:

Eeeh, Revolvers don't really feel like Doom.

There is a old western double barrel shotgun in it and you don't like any of the pistols. Doesn't matter what Doom doesn't 'feel like', it matters what makes it more fun.

I'm not sure how anyone could possibly think the pistol in this game is bad. If anything, it's an example of a good starting weapon, imo. Upgraded, it can one-shot imps, and I found myself using it quite often to take out enemies in between major arenas.

The EMG pistol from Snapmap is pretty fucking good IMO, they could have just used that beast.

If it wasn't added in DLC, that is.

Atendega said:

I'm not sure how anyone could possibly think the pistol in this game is bad. If anything, it's an example of a good starting weapon, imo. Upgraded, it can one-shot imps, and I found myself using it quite often to take out enemies in between major arenas.

ehh, i wouldn't exactly call this a good starter pistol. it's not a terrible weapon, but a very underwhelming one. Shadow Warrior 2 is a game that did pistols better, i think. all the handguns in it are pretty reliable, and the first one you have is useful for a good third or so through the game (yes, the starter is a revolver, but that's a small firearm too, and there are actual pistols in the game too.)

Perhaps id could have made it so that there's a weapon upgrade to have dual wielded pistols for faster firing, similarly to Rise of the Triad? For alt fire, both of them could charge at once.

Viscra Maelstrom said:

ehh, i wouldn't exactly call this a good starter pistol. it's not a terrible weapon, but a very underwhelming one. Shadow Warrior 2 is a game that did pistols better, i think. all the handguns in it are pretty reliable, and the first one you have is useful for a good third or so through the game (yes, the starter is a revolver, but that's a small firearm too, and there are actual pistols in the game too.)

Isn't that the point? In Shadow Warrior, most Pistols aren't starter weapons, and therefore have a different purpose. Starter weapons are supposed to be weak, so the other weapons are more weak in comparison.

Sig said:

There is a old western double barrel shotgun in it and you don't like any of the pistols. Doesn't matter what Doom doesn't 'feel like', it matters what makes it more fun.

It works because it's the only oddball weapon in the game (I consider the pistol to be nonexistent). Having another would be weird.

DooM_RO said:

It works because it's the only oddball weapon in the game (I consider the pistol to be nonexistent). Having another would be weird.

What about the Chainsaw then?

DooM_RO said:

Isn't Doom 2016's pistol already kind of an oddity? It's the only one that you charge up to make it stronger(which is funny because that's another mechanic in the game that reminds me of Metroid Prime).

MetroidJunkie said:

Isn't Doom 2016's pistol already kind of an oddity? It's the only one that you charge up to make it stronger(which is funny because that's another mechanic in the game that reminds me of Metroid Prime).

Aren't all of the guns oddities in they're own right? They all work very different from each other.

That's because it's a laser weapon. Granted, it could use some more beefiness to its sound effect, similar to the aforementioned power beam on Metroid.