Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

What's good deathmatch music for someone that doesn't like metal or iwad music?

Good question!

The UDM series used a lot vgmusic tracks from SNES stuff and other fighting games like Street Fighter 2. I think that set the mood pretty well.

Adjust it to the map themes, but typically on the last 2 DM wads I've worked on, the authors included an array of trance, techno, EDM, custom made ambient, dubstep, various remixes along with the typical metal, etc.

Crack it open it slade and check out the audio. All audio credits are in the mapinfo.

http://allfearthesentinel.net/download?file=aeondm.pk3
http://allfearthesentinel.net/download?file=dbabrm.pk3

Guest Unregistered account

Make a level covered in BROWNGRN and GRASS1 that's mostly outdoors, replace RSKY1 with a sky from Ultimate Doom or one of those cheesy 90's sky textures, cover it in SSGs and, last but most certainly not least, copy-paste D_RUNNIN from Dwango5 into your WAD.

invictius said:

I like EDM, ambient and Electronica but I can't think of any that would fit the mood.

Doom. Is. Metal. [/not joking]

Why you dare suggest any other genre? [/joking]

mammajamma said:

Didn't the IDL mapsets have pop song instrumentals for the background music?

afaik that was just for a few maps before it became default and out of hand for all. i think it was idl2012.wad, weighing in at like 96mb for said pop songs. Was a result of continual complaints of ever fattening idl wads.

Decay said:

Adjust it to the map themes, but typically on the last 2 DM wads I've worked on, the authors included an array of trance, techno, EDM, custom made ambient, dubstep, various remixes along with the typical metal, etc.

Crack it open it slade and check out the audio. All audio credits are in the mapinfo.

http://allfearthesentinel.net/download?file=aeondm.pk3
http://allfearthesentinel.net/download?file=dbabrm.pk3

Love it. Any SP wads with similar music?

Decay said:

afaik that was just for a few maps before it became default and out of hand for all. i think it was idl2012.wad, weighing in at like 96mb for said pop songs. Was a result of continual complaints of ever fattening idl wads.

Interesting, all of them are instrumentals and are definitely not just midis converted to wave. How did they so skilfully remove the vocals?

invictius said:

Love it. Any SP wads with similar music?

Interesting, all of them are instrumentals and are definitely not just midis converted to wave. How did they so skilfully remove the vocals?

Over the years I acquired different sources to get stems, instrumentals, and vocals for released pop music and that's how I came about grabbing most of them. Then I would edit them so they looped seamlessly. Nowadays, it's way easier to find a lot of this stuff on youtube. Just type the song you want and the word "instrumental" with it and a lot of the time you can find it.

I actually took time to make MIDIs of some pop and dance music that was popular in 2012/2013 and it worked surprisingly well for deathmatch. Two of the songs were "Heads Will Roll" and "Animals", both reasonably fast paced without the overt aggression of a Metal MIDI.

Kapanyo said:

Make a level covered in BROWNGRN and GRASS1 that's mostly outdoors, replace RSKY1 with a sky from Ultimate Doom or one of those cheesy 90's sky textures, cover it in SSGs and, last but most certainly not least, copy-paste D_RUNNIN from Dwango5 into your WAD.

This is the correct response.

Doomkid said:

I actually took time to make MIDIs of some pop and dance music that was popular in 2012/2013 and it worked surprisingly well for deathmatch. Two of the songs were "Heads Will Roll" and "Animals", both reasonably fast paced without the overt aggression of a Metal MIDI.

This is the correct response.

Would definitely like to hear the midi for Heads Will Roll.

You could try some Satanic-themed classical music.

Liszt, Dante Symphony
Boito, Mefistofele
Gounod, Faust
Berlioz, Le Damnnation de Faust
Schmidt, The Book of the Seven Seals
Bruckner, Apocalyptic Symphony

Doomkid said:

What ruins "Metal MIDI" for me is how fake the guitars sound, either in FM mode and even in wavetable. For some reason, it seems that only the Amiga modules had a convincing guitar sound, either electric, electric w/heavy distortion or even plain acoustic guitar.

Typical "Amiga metal":

Even acoustic guitar sounded cool on the Amiga:

And that was all with 8-bit, low-quality mono samples, at a fraction of the space and processing time required for a high-quality wavetable library today. What gives?

I always wondered how Doom would've sounded with a properly made MOD soundtrack, in pure Amiga style.

I recall playing deathmatch while listening to Alex Jones videos that gggmork used to post. It worked.

invictius said:

Can you use a port to show other players like in this screenshot, or did you edit it yourself later?

http://www.doomshack.org/~doomkid/Screenshot/DM-20160618-084632.png

PIP is a cool feature ZDaemon has when you're spectating in a duel, nice to know where both players are at once. (why don't Oda and Zan have this??)

@Maes, I think it could sound quite good, I agree that the General MIDI guitars sound far more fake/lame.

Doomkid said:

PIP is a cool feature ZDaemon has when you're spectating in a duel, nice to know where both players are at once. (why don't Oda and Zan have this??)

Any way to play duel mode in single player with bots? I can't even find duel mode under dmflags. Does it need a certain wad to enable this gametype?

Doomkid said:

Probably because nobody has mentioned it and with current development progress both ports might see a new release in 5 years :O)

This is the first I've seen of that. Pretty neat, hard to believe ZD actually has a useful gimmick!

invictius said:

Any way to play duel mode in single player with bots? I can't even find duel mode under dmflags. Does it need a certain wad to enable this gametype?

Isn't it just regular deathmatch with 2 player limit?

Well, there are people who don't like satanic imagery, guns, hunting or the military and yet they play a game where a marine shoots beastlike demons in Hell. Go figure.