Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Legacy of Heroes

Yes this was entirely blind hence my first post in the thread alluding to me being entirely unaware of this wad. I wouldn't take a look at a map I've never played before for the purpose of gaining an edge in a competition as that would detract from the challenge and completely ruin the experience for me. I tend to play new wads without resorting to saves so I'm used to playing under pressure, unless the maps are very long or are notorious for their difficulty then I employ infrequent saves as checkpoints, being able to load a save on the fly following a crucial error drastically detracts from the challenge and enjoyment of the game for me, without it you actually have to play strategically and cleverly knowing a demise comes with the price of a big set back, this will endeavour to sharpen your playing ability over time. It's likely I can be bested by time here, given I get lost as early as MAP04 and this trend continues in the penultimate levels :P

Come on by, watch me die.

https://www.twitch.tv/saint_guy1

Wow, a great run.
I didn't even last to the maps that I didn't play before.
Map02 killed by the hell knight/Baron trap. A Hell knight survived when I didn't expect him to, and I stupidly switched to the ssg to finish him off.

Hey, I'm in that spreadsheet too! 29th place isn't something to let go!

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1713602

Died at MAP03 to a shotgunner. I had 4% health and saw a medkit, but knew that a shotgunner was somewhere there. I thought I'd be lucky enough to manage to get the medkit... well no.

Not a FDA, I've made like 10 attempts before this one, but none of them got past MAP02

This is still above my best expectations. :]

Dead in map06. Backed into the wrong neighbourhood. 1/2/3 were not blind, 4/5/6 were blind. I did take note that THE VORTEX was claiming victims so I knew to prep a bit when I saw it.

demo

Here's my attempt.

Spoiler

Chalk one up for the Vortex.
But there definitely were some tough situations even before that. Ammo starvation was one of my major problems here, not to mention the scarcity of armor.

Cool mapset, I'll definitely take some time to finish it someday.

Eris has been poking me to try an ironman so I'll be joining in on Monday afternoon. Will post when done!

A blind run through this challenge which made this first Ironman experience really fun. Dead at map04. Pleasure to join!

Demo

Wow, I really enjoyed this set of levels. It took me over five hours (argh!!), but I survived, playing keyboard only.

I think I spent half that time or more just getting lost in maps 08-09.

Overall, very enjoyable, with just enough devious moments to keep me paying attention. I took heed at the warnings about dying to the vortex on map05, so seeing that put me on edge. The pitch black cyberdemon ambush on map06 was what really solidified my jumpiness, though. After two levels in a row ending with evil traps like that, I was expecting something similar in every level thereafter, though nothing else quite as severe as the map06 ambush occured in any of the later levels, IMO. Great use of tension putting those traps in the middle of the episode, they kept me wary long past the actual threat itself.

I had to deal with mad lag in glboom+ on most of map08, I guess my laptop's shitty gpu wasn't cut out for running through those huge open areas in the middle of the city. Lag aside (and getting lost aside ;P), I think that's my favorite map in the set. I almost gave up on trying to figure out how to get at that secret BFG until I remembered those blue keycard bars in the basement.

To be honest, I think I lucked out quite a bit. I'm not the most careful player so there were plenty of close calls. I was particularly inattentive / an idiot on map05; I wasted the radsuit and almost blew it having to go back through the lava unprotected. I was also very fortunate at how the one cyberdemon and the mastermind just before the end of map08 decided to infight while i was so close to death.

Anyway, great use of eternal resources, thanks gaspe for the great design and fun adventure! Now that I know what to do on the last two big maps, I'm eager to revisit this wad at some point in the future and try for a better time.

demo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m8giwie34k16zkr/ironman-mden-legher.zip?dl=1

Charbroiled by the Ice Queen! - MAP05, 61 minutes.

DEMO

Awesome wad btw gaspe, I had no idea you were such a killer mapper. Nice work!!

I know I'm late the the party:

First time playing this wad (so FDA video), cool level design and not puzzle heavy like Eternal Doom.

Died in a nasty revenant/pain elemental trap + forgot to remove the crosshair (so probably disqualified)

SSGmaster said:

forgot to remove the crosshair (so probably disqualified)

Nah, I'm not that harsh a taskmaster. It's supposedly against 'the rules' but disqualifying something for such a silly transgression is dumb++. Repeat the offense, however, and there will be a knock on the door from the gestapo.

February is almost up! Britbowl hangs in the balance. Is an_mutt waiting for suitepee to blink first? Will DotW sweep in once again to claim his rightful second place? All these questions and more.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/124727962 = my playthrough (blind), died on map 5 to a Hell Knight...

...But really, it was the goddamn chaingunners before that point down towards the blue (and final) key that claimed my armor and a good chunk of health. Screw those guys!

This wad generally seemed fun to play, and I may revisit it just to see what "the vortex" was. Managed to juke my way out of the tricky ending to map 4, and then avoid two further sticky situations on map 5 before my untimely death.

But at least I didn't die to a Revenant this time. Over to you an_mutt.....

EDIT: Well, that was quite something from an_mutt there. 2-0 to me in the Britbowl!

gaspe said:

Thanks for pick my wad for this month. I will join to see where I will shamefully die :)

gaspe where are you mon? D; also good job to Roofi and Mithran Denizen o/ still expecting to be toppled at the 11th hour ;)

The moment you've all been waiting for: I didn't make it out this time. This was a blind run. I'd never played anything by gaspe until his map in TNT: Revilution the other day; I knew about Legacy of Heroes, but as is so often the case for me these days, simply never had the time to sit down with it, until today.

Soooo......died at the very end of map 09, decided to be ballsy instead of camp-happy and paid for it in blood. Not smart. I reckon it was secrets and momentum keeping me afloat, but they all dried up there near the end, containing mostly ammo I didn't really need, none of the healing that I did. Shame, too. I finished the mapset (from a pistol-start on m09) after recording this, real heartbreaker in its way, since the bosses on map 10 are a pretty easy fight that I'm sure I could've handled if only I'd managed to reach them. Still would've been only 2nd place, though--lost way too much time in m07 and m08, though I think I would've actually cleared m09 itself quicker than Krypto did.

Bummer, that, but I suppose the main thing is that I really had a ball with the WAD itself, which is quality from start to finish, no two maps conceptually alike while sticking to a strong theme/narrative, reminding me variously of Eternal Doom and Eternal's Epic, but with spicier setpiece ambushes than either of them, natch--very good stuff. The stretch from m04-m07 was particularly cool, I thought, and I quite liked m09 as well. Map 08 was a nice change of pace at first, though I did feel that the final leg got bogged down a bit with something of a meat-parade. Also there are a handful of really crummy uses of blind drops/infinitely-tall actors as a form of handicap, but on the whole, it's an excellent set, and I certainly hope to see more from the author in the coming years.

Well now, I can't in good conscience let this thread die without writing in some proper commendation. That was a fine eight months, DotW; well played. The baying masses may now look to a Bloodite death to sate the old inferiority complex, but we'll always remember the fire that got things burning. Here's to another hot streak! Though... you may have to wait until April to start it. Maybe.

It took a pretty scary situation to take you down, heh. As I suspected! I think had you known those cybers were prowling about the staircase you might have sat pretty for a little longer, trying to get those brains to infight.

OI

2017-02-28  09:01:40  <Alfonzo>	Hyperion: [redacted league table?] :)
2017-02-28  09:01:49  <Alfonzo>	tough luck hard life
Teasing me then running away >:( I'll get you next month!! Oh it's that wad next? :) Never mind then

In at the 11th hour. I am assuming that the exit was where that Cyber in map04 came from? Tried to make a run for it anyway, got greedy, made a detour for a medikit rather than just getting the fuck out of there and paid for it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/056l12kcv37rjrq/scottyLOH.lmp?dl=1

Bloodite Krypto said:

gaspe where are you mon? D;

Heh, rl sucks, I was quite busy plus I got also sick for few days. I'll make my attempt too but I already planned to upload it when the competion was over since pretty much all the participants made a blind playthrough while I know all the traps and especially the secrets. It wouldn't have been really fair.
Thanks to all for your demos/videos/streams, and actually I still have to watch some of them, in particular the winners but I'm reserving the best at last :P

gaspe said:

I'll make my attempt too but I already planned to upload it when the competion was over since pretty much all the participants made a blind playthrough while I know all the traps and especially the secrets. It wouldn't have been really fair.

That hasn't stopped other mappers (Jimmy w/ Jenesis, 40oz w/ UAC Ultra...) when their work is on the Ironman shelf; it just means that they're under more pressure because they SHOULD know how to beat their own map in good time!