Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arl

Looking for advice on buying a graphic card.

Hi, reading some posts regarding DOOM 2016 performance and requirements I saw that there are people here with a lot of knowledge about this technical stuff, and I wish to know if you could help me decide which of this two graphic cards I should buy.

First of all, I don't pretend to be able to play Doom 2016 or anything fancy, and I'm not going to go to a higher resolution than 1360x768 really.

That being said, this is the rig I have:

-Motherboard: ASRock H77M
-Processor: Intel i7-3770 3.40Ghz
-RAM: 8GB
-SO: Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bits)
-Power supply: 700w (I can't see the brand).

The videocards I was putting my eye on according to my budget are these:

-geforce gtx 960 (4GB)
http://www.evga.com/articles/00914/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-960-4GB
-geforce gtx 1050ti (4GB)
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-1050-ti/specifications

The 1050ti seems to be very similar to the 960 but it's less expensive, that actually disturbs me, but what do I know...

What do you think? what's the best choice? do you have another one to recommend me among the same frame of price of any of those two above?

Thank you in advance.

I have a weaker processor and a gtx960, and it runs everything at stable 60fps and 1680x1050. Graphics cards are really powerful these days. Unless you want to toy with VR, 120/144fps or super high resolutions, you will be fine.

Kontra Kommando said:

Don't forget to get a good HSF (Heat Sink and Fan) to accommodate for the new GPU. You don't want to overheat your processor.

+1

When i build the PC that i'm using to play games. I only put a single 80mm fan. I was thinking that it was "Ok". A month ago or so i was curious how hot my CPU was running under load. So i started to play with Doom with CPUID, i did play for about an hour. To my Surprise it did reach 80 degrees celcius (176f). While not extremly hot to the point where the CPU is going to shut itself, hot enough to degrade faster the components.
So i did a simple mod to accomodate accommodate two 200mm fans that i had taken from a broken workstation from my Job. One intake and the other for outtake, to my surprise after doing the same test the max temp was 59 degrees celcius.

I did not know that the fan and stuff that came with the processor should be upgraded too, very well then.

Glaice said:

Why not a 1060 instead of a 1050?

I think the 1060 is quite expensive than the ones I mentioned, and I guess it would be more gpu than I will use because of my resolution.