Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catoptromancy

Release Clean Up

It is almost time for another release. Main goal right now is to make sure all maps work in all ports that are limit removing.

Maps will need to be tested in more ports. Various ports can find different problems. I see Freedoom as being the universal iwad, so all ports need testing. Old ports, brand new ports, I am sure it is possible for all the maps to play properly in all of them.

Most maps have been tested to exit and checked for visual issues on Chocolate Doom. I have made sure gzdoom loads all maps and fixed those. Final map testing for me will be to godmode rampage all maps in crispy-doom, and glboom-plus while looking for glitches.

We need testers to just play in their favorite port, or experiment with something more obscure.

Take screenshots! Label screenshots with port used, and map number.

Spoiler

Glboom-plus MAP20

Any other resources we could use for next release can be posted as well.

These are all critical map updates.

MAP06: Fixed seg crashes. Two doors near start were actually boom, SSG can be acquired much sooner now. Tested to exit on choco, crispy, gzdoom, and glboom-plus.
http://www.geocities.ws/catodemos/freedoom/catoptromancy/map06_c2.wad

MAP28: Ceilings and Floors cannot move at once in limit removing. Fully tested exitable in crispy and gzdoom.
http://www.geocities.ws/catodemos/freedoom/catoptromancy/map28_c1.wad

C1M5: Converted boom actions. Made extra switch inside monster trap to open door. Made lift a little smaller, so linedefs worked in limit removing. Exited in cripsy and glboom-plus.
http://www.geocities.ws/catodemos/freedoom/catoptromancy/c1m5_c1.wad

Hi, i have some minor findings, don't know if it was already adressed, but still..

I'm using the today's build of Freedoom and the latest versions of Odamex and PrBoom+

- w/ Odamex on e1m5: the ambush after hitting the switch never happens:
http://imgur.com/rrDTCyp

- w/ Odamex and PrBoom+ on e1m5: you can't lower this lift from here, while on ZDoom/Zandronum you can:
http://imgur.com/7MrshcM

- e1m6: there's this bridge on the outside w/ some serpentides and items, but you can't go there so it's not possible to do a 100% run without cheats
http://imgur.com/LKdAcR4

Death Egg said:

Exciting that v1.0 is just around the bend!

Dear god, please, no. Freedoom is not nearly polished enough to justify such a version number. I'm all for additional releases, but I prefer that the version number reflect the state of the project.

1.0 should be reserved for when every asset is high quality. At this rate, that might be a few years.

Blastfrog said:

Dear god, please, no. Freedoom is not nearly polished enough to justify such a version number. I'm all for additional releases, but I prefer that the version number reflect the state of the project.

1.0 should be reserved for when every asset is high quality. At this rate, that might be a few years.

Well, it has improved quite a bit since 2007. :)

Freedoom is much closer to its goal than it used to be.

Catoptromancy said:

(...)Those things on e1m6 dont count as item percentage, unless newer ports started counting those.

Xindage said:

well the items outiside in e1m6 dont count in percentage, maybe you're missing some secrets.

Indeed.. sorry for that - only recently while recording a Uv-max playthrough of ep.1 i notice those items there.. so i assumed one couldn't get 100%. While on topic, what is the purpose of that area? Those poor serpentides can't even hit the player..

Maybe left over. Lots of freedoom1 maps were unfinished and remade many times. Probably just old area.

Item %s count only for items that can always be picked up. Can always pick up spheres for example, whether or not you already have 200% of health. Medikits, ammo, and such wont be picked up if player is already full.

Catoptromancy said:

Item %s count only for items that can always be picked up. Can always pick up spheres for example, whether or not you already have 200% of health. Medikits, ammo, and such wont be picked up if player is already full.

To be pedantic, the computer map item is an exception to this, iirc, at least in single player. They count for item percentage, but if there are multiple than one placed in a map, you can't pick up more than one.

As rare as it would be to have two or more computer maps in a level, it would prevent the player from getting 100% items.

Interesting, so never more than 1 computer map is a good rule anyway.

All maps have been tested to work in limit removing now, only a few needed final updates. If I have extra free time, will fix some vanilla issues in other maps.

Blastfrog said:

The only reason I mentioned it is because there was a post some months ago announcing that once they were all vanilla then Freedom would reach v1.0.

Death Egg said:

The only reason I mentioned it is because there was a post some months ago announcing that once they were all vanilla then Freedom would reach v1.0.

I think what that post really meant was "when it's done, then it'll be v1.0" not "when it's fully vanilla". I consider it as a milestone in Freedoom's progress rather than a final official release. Why should v1.0 have placeholder stuff still in there, right?

Expect v0.11 soon. Probably.

for me these nunbers mean only the version number, nothing more than it.

someday we are going to have freedoom 2.0 2.7 3.2 10.45 80.32 and etc

Xindage said:

someday we are going to have freedoom 2.0 2.7 3.2 10.45 80.32 and etc

O.o Freedoom might as well get the Mordeth award then.

According to chungy, v1.0 signifies when Freedoom is compete, meaning no placeholder stuff, none of the obvious bugs and so on. Then he says there will be minor updates to fix small stuff. Similar to how Doom released at v1.0 IIRC then had small updates up untill v1.9 which is now considered final.

Voros said:

According to chungy, v1.0 signifies when Freedoom is compete, meaning no placeholder stuff, none of the obvious bugs and so on.

So I might be well off course here (I've very little experience of Freedoom), but if the overall idea is to create a perfect replacement of the Doom2.wad IWAD (including all 2,919 entries in the wad) then surely it should be 1.0 when it hits that milestone (with genuine content, not placeholders)?

Catoptromancy said:

C1M5: Fully vanilla. Swapped computer stations with doors at start to avoid vpo. 2 areas walled up. Lots of vanilla fixes.

Nice! No more idclev to c1m6 on choco, thanks :D
The only weird thing i noticed is on that sector with 4 doors at the start, both front doors doesn't open from any side (left and right opens from inside normally).

pintolinh0 said:

Nice! No more idclev to c1m6 on choco, thanks :D
The only weird thing i noticed is on that sector with 4 doors at the start, both front doors doesn't open from any side (left and right opens from inside normally).

Too many visplanes. Those doors will never open again. Same reason I had to change the angle of those other 2 doors. The other doors were much more important architecturally, well the stairs behind them and general area.

Checked the commit log. Sweet. I guess this confirms v0.11 is coming up.

I just hope jupiterex releases the midi versions of either of his tracks soon, as c1m5 and c2m6 both share the same track.

Looking forward to it!

@Bauul, basically, yeah.

Um, I just noticed that some of the old maps had par times that were upwards of 20 minutes. :\

...with one even having a par time of "48:30".

Edit: possibly the real reason behind the transition to vanilla/smaller maps.

Voros said:

And I recently added new par times, because 48:30 was just ridiculous.

Par times were based on demos I made for 0.7.

0.7 was just making sure all maps were exitable. It was the first release game could actually be beaten. Lower skill levels were not all implemented and general skill testing was not done. 0.9 I think had many skill adjustments to balance the maps, or just make them enjoyable. 0.10 did skill adjustments in lower skills.

There's a chance of a v0.11.1 being released to fix some minor things. Should the boom colormaps be removed? All the maps are limit removing/vanilla now, so I don't see why extra lumps like those should be present.