Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DrPyspy

[1/31/2024] Doom Delta v3.0.1! (new weapon... AND MORE!)

Had lots of fun with this mod. I love the alpha helmet hud. I kinda miss the item pickup messages (I assume you're implementing the helmet hud messages instead). I understand that Lorelei is the faster soldier of the group but I thought it was funny that she fires the chaingun faster as well. Did she tweak the gun by herself? Not complaining though, I kinda like it that way.

Looking forward for updates. Keep it up!

Awesome to see the old alpha helmet hud in use here. I always loved that hud but could never find a working mod of it anywhere.

I kinda forgot I had this thread. It's missing a lot of updates...and the release...and the v1.1 patch...so I'll be fixing that with 10-20 minutes of this post being created. In the mean time, here is some new stuff from 2.0:

Here is a video showcasing a functional secret detector, which goes wild near sectors marked as secrets.

IhoUtKy.png

And here is a screenshot showing off a new setting that emulates a 320x240 resolution, which is the closest I could get to 320x200 without stretching issues on the weapons. This works at any resolution, including widescreen.

20 hours ago, DrPyspy said:

I kinda forgot I had this thread. It's missing a lot of updates...and the release...and the v1.1 patch...so I'll be fixing that with 10-20 minutes of this post being created. In the mean time, here is some new stuff from 2.0:

Any idea when 2.0 will be released? :)

8 hours ago, Albertoni said:

Any idea when 2.0 will be released? :)

Perhaps some time near the end of this month, I think? I've almost finished the checklist for 2.0, so it shouldn't be much longer. :D

Cool!!! I had kind of given up on there being any more updates for this amazing mod. Thank you for proving me wrong there!

Out of curiosity, is the box in the mock commercial actually real?

I noticed a couple minor issues that I remember reporting back then, which have yet to be addressed:

1- I no longer get a Secret Found notification upon finding a secret, only a sound.

2- One of the Supershotgun reload animation frames - specifically, the one where the left hand loads two shells - is cut off on the lower left side.

Howdy! This thread was last updated over two years ago (to spare my sanity, I will ignore the extra 2-3 years, give or take.) This thread is now up to date with the latest information and links. The next update (tentatively dubbed v2.5.0) is in the works! This update will be bringing better support for mappers wanting to make custom maps for Doom Delta, as well as providing an easy-to-use starter kit so fellas can jump right into the map making process. Of course, Doom Delta will still be compatible with existing mapsets! Here are some previews of new art that will be featured in the next update:

YPm0cL0.gif

IC75FbN.gif

Player sprites will also be receiving a revamp:

C308RsM.gif

AfftnUD.gif

R5Gzm9T.gif

I'll be trying to keep this thread up to date in the future, but I'll need to set up a process to quickly make identical posts between the original ZDoom thread and the thread here. Once that is set up, it should be smooth sailing!

Previous versions of Doom Delta had Doom 4-style dolls. A bit anachronistic, but fun to look at. However, they were dummied out in the last public update, pending a rework. Now, I'm proud to tease a little sneak peek at some of the improved doll secrets!

4C5Y5nPl.png

JVYK8TAl.png

RzlQE6ul.png

At first glance, you may notice that these areas are either inaccessible, or have bits that do not exist in the actual versions of these maps. Thanks to the power of LEVEL PROCESSING TECHNOLOGY, geometry can be repurposed and transformed into brand new secret areas! Each doll is collectable without the usage of cheats: you just gotta find out what has changed. The size of these changes will range from no visible changes (like the E1M2 screenshot) to brand new areas (NO SPOILERS!) These little changes should provide a little surprise for players going through the vanilla maps, and are designed to not be intrusive to the original gameplay of the maps.

In the future, I'd like to implement doll spawns in more maps! Dolls in community mapsets are a possibility, but it is something I want to put a lot of care into; I don't want to mess with the atmosphere or the vibe of others' maps by taking a sledgehammer to the walls to have a Thi Barrett funko pop stare into your soul. Being respectful of the authors' original intent is important to me! I'll be sticking to vanilla mapsets and the Consolation Prize series for the time being.

AgDONqt.gif

On another note, the new player sprites have been completed! These should be more consistent compared to the old player sprite edits, and look great in co-op (and when you're looking in mirrors!) I look forward to seeing how people feel about these fellas.

Heck yeah! Any news on Doom Delta update is always appreciable to me.

KY0qVtvl.png

Doom Delta v2.5.0 is OUT! This update includes brand new character sprites, revamped item sprites, QoL changes, bug fixes, and more! Read more here!

BUT ALSO...

PDFyScrl.png

You can now download the Doom Delta MAPPING STARTER KIT! Essentially, the starter pack sets you up with essential editor numbers so that you don't have to spend time setting them up yourself. This is being released alongside changes that make Doom Delta more mapper friendly.

You can download both at the webzone!

I gotta give some feed back on a lil' thing I noticed. It feels like I have way too much ammo, maybe it's just the way I play (I usually blow the heavier ammo when I see something with higher HP than a revenant,) or maybe the wads I've played (before 2.5 it was MM 1 and 2, Nova 1 and 2, and when the update came out I did a second run of Evinternity and started Nova 3.) But through out all of it, it always felt like I have way too much ammo for the rocket launcher, the claw, and the unmaker. I wouldn't know what to suggest to fix this because I'm no game designer, my suggestions would probably just end up breaking the balance lmao.

Love this mod btw, was planning on saying this ages ago on the zdoom forum but saw it moved here so, better late than never I guess!

1 hour ago, Zonky said:

I gotta give some feed back on a lil' thing I noticed. It feels like I have way too much ammo, maybe it's just the way I play (I usually blow the heavier ammo when I see something with higher HP than a revenant,) or maybe the wads I've played (before 2.5 it was MM 1 and 2, Nova 1 and 2, and when the update came out I did a second run of Evinternity and started Nova 3.) But through out all of it, it always felt like I have way too much ammo for the rocket launcher, the claw, and the unmaker. I wouldn't know what to suggest to fix this because I'm no game designer, my suggestions would probably just end up breaking the balance lmao.

Love this mod btw, was planning on saying this ages ago on the zdoom forum but saw it moved here so, better late than never I guess!

24 minutes ago, Crazy_Deer said:

Is it intentional that Doom 2 enemies have less health than in vanilla?

If I had to guess, the surplus ammo might be due a combination of the following:

• Doom 2 monsters having less health than usual (an intentional decision to make things less stressful when taking on Doom 2 monsters without an SSG)
  • The introduction of the demonic weapons that use a new separate ammo type, which ends up leaving you with more ammo for the other weapons
  • Certain weapons like the Rifle, the Chaingun, and the BFG doing more damage with less ammo used up compared to their counterparts in Vanilla

This all ends up adding up to encounters being easier to deal with overall, using up less ammo to do so. I'm admittedly very wasteful with ammo, so some of the balancing was probably biased towards that, and I ended up over-compensating. I'm open hearing others' thoughts on this and I'm open to experimenting with the balancing!

If the lower health is intentional then I don't think there's a problem. I was just scared something was getting screwed in my game yknow?

That's understandable! It's not really mentioned anywhere, come to think of it. I could probably slide it in somewhere in the help menu.

On 1/31/2023 at 10:23 PM, DrPyspy said:

KY0qVtvl.png

Doom Delta v2.5.0 is OUT! This update includes brand new character sprites, revamped item sprites, QoL changes, bug fixes, and more! Read more here!

BUT ALSO...

PDFyScrl.png

You can now download the Doom Delta MAPPING STARTER KIT! Essentially, the starter pack sets you up with essential editor numbers so that you don't have to spend time setting them up yourself. This is being released alongside changes that make Doom Delta more mapper friendly.

You can download both at the webzone!

oh, neat. i was wondering what i had to do in order to start mapping for this mod

btw, i just wanted to say that i've been playing a bit of this wad lately, and it's been nothing short of amazing. i am wondering, however, if the whole thing with the severed hand being used to activate a scanner thingy will ever be implemented? it'd be fun to use that in custom maps

1 hour ago, DrPyspy said:

snip

Huh! I always thought demons were going down faster than usual but just assumed it was due to the weapon tweaks, maybe reverting it to default would make it better? I'm only one person so idk how others would feel about that. Alternatively, maybe tossing out vanilla values and making your own would be the better route? (but that sounds so tedious)

Appreciate the response! : )

40 minutes ago, roadworx said:

oh, neat. i was wondering what i had to do in order to start mapping for this mod

btw, i just wanted to say that i've been playing a bit of this wad lately, and it's been nothing short of amazing. i am wondering, however, if the whole thing with the severed hand being used to activate a scanner thingy will ever be implemented? it'd be fun to use that in custom maps

Thank you! I've considered including more content for custom maps, such as the severed hand item, as well as some of the props that didn't make it into the final game. I'd especially love to do more miscellaneous clutter props like coffee mugs, recreational equipment, and other props that would fit in the locations mentioned in the Doom Bible.

This is only slightly related, but in lieu of proper editor documentation at the moment, here is a quick explanation of the Blob actor for anyone looking to place one in their level. The Blob actor is coded similarly to how the GZDoom decal actor works: the back of the actor indicates the direction that the Blob will look for a wall to latch onto. Unlike the decal actor, though, it won't attach to double-sided lines; it'll only attach to one-sided lines.

11 minutes ago, Zonky said:

Huh! I always thought demons were going down faster than usual but just assumed it was due to the weapon tweaks, maybe reverting it to default would make it better? I'm only one person so idk how others would feel about that. Alternatively, maybe tossing out vanilla values and making your own would be the better route? (but that sounds so tedious)

Appreciate the response! : )

Hmm, the main issue with tossing out the vanilla values is that Doom Delta tries to maintain compatibility with monster mods and mapsets that contain custom DEHACKED monsters, so anything that is wildly different from the vanilla values would probably mess with monsters that expect damage values closer to vanilla. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Sorry if this is a bad bump, still new to forums, but is this still gonna receive updates? Or is it considered complete

On 6/24/2023 at 2:36 PM, Crazy_Deer said:

Sorry if this is a bad bump, still new to forums, but is this still gonna receive updates? Or is it considered complete

Try DrPyspy's discord server.