Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Doom Millennium?

One of the only megawads for the Eternity Engine in development, Doom Millennium has peaked my interest lately. It's been around almost as long as Mordeth but seems to be mostly forgotten now. From what I gather from its website a lot of work was completed, and the last news page implied an impending release.

Does this project still have any hope of being finished? Has there been occasional work done behind the scenes? Would the team, if there's even more than one person now, be open to new contributors to help finish it, or is there no hope of it being released?

Well that same news article has this to say.

Regarding me: I'm going to be homeless in about a month. I'm busy working out a plan at the moment...

...Either way, this is going to be an interesting ordeal and I'm anxious to see how well it turns out. It could prove to be very productive for me, or could end me up on the streets. I'll be back with news in about a month.

Seeing as there wasn't a news post a month later it sounds like things went rather bad.

That website is super out of date, even by Millennium's standards. The last work done on the project was around... 2011ish maybe? Prior to Espi's death, he was involved in reworking several very old maps for it, and I attempted a bit of work (of questionable quality) on it around that time too. Lut has been back around recently, so maybe it'll get dusted off again and completed.

I suggest this with most projects that I see stagnating but if work does presume perhaps the scale of the wad could be toned down to help ensure it being finished? For example 3-4 hubs instead of 5, if any of the hubs aren't far enough along to warrant finishing. How close to being done is it anyway?

I've been on-and-off wondering what happened to this. I "tested" a wee bit in the pre-Eternity days (if I recall, it used a modified DOS Boom or MBF, something like that) on a very poor computer (even for 2001/2002-ish) that struggled immensely on some of the larger maps. I believe one was called 'Skynet'?

Anyways, I did enjoy what I played. Where's it at, Lut? :D

I seriously doubt Millennium will ever be released and it is disappointing because it was progressing very well as a Boom/MBF project and then it had it's own port before the demands got too high leading to the death of this project. I think we could not find a programmer for our source port. I believe that Simon (The Chief) quit from Doom and gaming and is now focused on his own life, Steve (Lut) took over. I have some of the maps from the project and once thought about tuning them up (Kristian's maps) for Whispers of Satan but decided it would be better to make my own maps for that project. It has been almost a year since I made a map but that does not stop me from playing Doom.

Well if adding features were an issue back then I'll bet most of what was needed Eternity supports now. Is there anything else that would be needed that it doesn't already support?