Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lutz

Doom II - Hellscape :: RELEASED (with new link)

My re-imagining the Doom II Hell levels (21-30) has finally made it to /idgames (after several aborted FTP attempts). Grab it here:
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/dhs-lutz

EDIT: Until this hits /newstuff, grab it here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/t3sf5g9hda1i2sc/DHS-Lutz.zip

Original thread (and more screenshots): https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1412794

A couple notes:
- Though I am officially releasing this, I have a little less confidence in the overall quality of this .WAD than some of my other releases. Basically, even though I consider this .WAD complete, I will happily accept constructive criticism. I do reserve the right to release a version 1.1, so if there are those of you out there who will NOT play something until it is completely done, perhaps you should hold off for a bit.
- These levels are based off of the IWAD levels, which implies two things:
(1) you will probably have a slightly easier time and get a little more out of them if you are familiar with the originals; and
(2) some of the design decisions (geometry/progression/monster placement) were mandated by the original levels, and therefore I may respond to some suggested updates by claiming "homage" and walking away :)

Enough caveats: go kill things.

Enjoy!

Hell yea, I have eagerly been waiting for this map set! The download link isn't working for me either, but I will check back soon.

Congrats on the release Lutz :D

Files can't be downloaded from /idgames/incoming, either because of permissions or because they're moved to another hidden folder soon after upload. We have to wait until the wad gets a proper /idgames page.

Any chance to upload it to dropbox, mediafire, etc? It might take some time until this is been cleared for the newstuff archive.

Author of this mapset could upload his wad in google drive,dropbox or mediafire until it gets uploaded in id games database. This is just suggestion. It will take 5-10 minutes of your time.

Yes, dammit, my bad -- I probably should have tested out the download link. I am at work right now, which blocks access to my MediaFire account, but I will toss it up somewhere accessible this evening.

Lutz said:

Yes, dammit, my bad -- I probably should have tested out the download link. I am at work right now, which blocks access to my MediaFire account, but I will toss it up somewhere accessible this evening.

Well hurry up man! I need a nice valentine treat for my girlie :D

Lutz said:

Nooooooooo :( I needs it now. Needs it!

e: there, switched shifts, now I can wait for it.

This has been one of my most anticipated releases for quite a while now. I've played through the first two maps and it hasn't disappointed me so far! The green nukage in MAP22 isn't something I care for in hell maps, usually, but at the same time I realize it was in the original, so your homage might not have looked right without it, either.

Don't know if you want to worry yourself about it at all, but I got a bit of a weird graphical glitch in MAP21, in GZDoom 2.3.0. The sky texture shows through the lava in the final outdoor area. Here's a screenshot of what it looked like as well as an automap shot to show where I was standing:

http://imgur.com/a/87Dvd

I had to look down a little bit to get the glitch to appear. It might not happen without mouselook?

jerrysheppy said:

Don't know if you want to worry yourself about it at all, but I got a bit of a weird graphical glitch in MAP21, in GZDoom 2.3.0. The sky texture shows through the lava in the final outdoor area...

Not having tested in GZDoom, I can't speak to that error. At first glace, I would guess it is some form of OpenGL node-building weirdness (maybe due to the size of the lava sector in comparison to the number of sectors that surround it?); I can play around with compiling some GL nodes and take a look.

I ran the wad through prboom+ 2.5.1.4 and for some reason, map 24 doesn't load at all. It gives me an error whenever i try to load, something bout some unalocated shit or whatnot (not on my computer so can't remember correctly) but, other than that. Good stuff.

Been waiting to play this ever since you started sharing those pics man :)

The_Trigger said:

I ran the wad through prboom+ 2.5.1.4 and for some reason, map 24 doesn't load at all. It gives me an error whenever i try to load, something bout some unalocated shit or whatnot (not on my computer so can't remember correctly) but, other than that. Good stuff.

Been waiting to play this ever since you started sharing those pics man :)

[WARN][tic 1] Ld_LoadSideDefs(): invalid sector [4256] for side [33793] 
seems like some sidedefs are pointing to non existing sectors. rebuilding the map with a nodebuilder (glbsp, zdbsp) helps :)

Played through MAP23 now. MAP23 feels a lot looser with respect to the original than MAP21 or MAP22 did. I can identify which area is which, but with the exception of the very first and very last barrel hallways, you probably could have put these areas in a map and I'd have taken a long time to figure out they were an updated version of Barrels O' Fun. This said, I think the blame for this is primarily on the original map for not having had any architecturally memorable setpieces in its own right. The stock MAP23 rooms are primarily abstract shapes for holding interesting barrel-based scenarios rather than any concerted attempt to create a sense of place. This remake, of course, wants to create that hellish atmosphere and succeeds brilliantly, at the cost of having that distance from the original.

As an aside: I realize you (Lutz) wanted to use only stock textures, but I think you should have made an exception for a lavafall, the same way you did for the sky. Using the firewall texture in the absence of a proper *fall worked for Tim Willits in E4M5 because it was the same color as the liquid (blood in that case), but it just doesn't work with the lava flat at all.

jerrysheppy said:

Played through MAP23 now. MAP23 feels a lot looser with respect to the original than MAP21 or MAP22 did...

I really didn't set any hard-and-fast rules regarding how closely or in what manner I needed to emulate the originals. Generally, the player ends up traversing the level in the same way and grabbing keys/activating switches/warping in the same order as the IWAD source, but I did not overtly constrain myself with respect to texture usage or "look-and-feel" (i.e. indoors vs outdoors, ceiling heights, etc).

jerrysheppy said:

As an aside: I realize you (Lutz) wanted to use only stock textures, but I think you should have made an exception for a lavafall, the same way you did for the sky. Using the firewall texture in the absence of a proper *fall worked for Tim Willits in E4M5 because it was the same color as the liquid (blood in that case), but it just doesn't work with the lava flat at all.

I completely disagree -- I love that combination. No, they don't look alike, but it's a pairing for which I have a lot of nostalgia since many of my early editing attempts featured lavafalls using that same combo. Nonetheless, I appreciate the feedback :)

MAP24: This is another entry in the category of 'inherited sins of the original,' but I found the terrestrial-style metal and tech textures detracted from this for me. Unlike MAP21 (which did it brilliantly, btw) there doesn't seem to be a similar 'explanation' for why human-looking architecture has arrived in Hell. There probably wasn't a good solution to this in the vanilla textureset, but I'd love to see a take on this with something like Quake or Ogro textures for the metals. Anyway, it's still obviously a mapping tour de force. The area after the blue key door recaptures some of that sense of otherworldly twistedness, even if it's still more of a weird, Plutonia-esque alter reality than a classic Doom-styled hell. I was mildly disappointed that the red key puzzle area didn't try to hurt my eyes, but as far as the configuration goes it's a great update of the original sequence for modern sensibilities. :)

If you do go looking for ways to fix these OpenGL or whatever errors, I found what seem to be a couple more of them in this map. The corners of these pillars appear to be 'cut off': http://imgur.com/a/T5XWZ Weird stuff.

jerrysheppy said:

MAP24: This is another entry in the category of 'inherited sins of the original,' but I found the terrestrial-style metal and tech textures detracted from this for me.

Just wait until "The Abandoned Mines" (MAP26) -- that level definitely should have appeared prior to level 21...

jerrysheppy said:

If you do go looking for ways to fix these OpenGL or whatever errors, I found what seem to be a couple more of them in this map. The corners of these pillars appear to be 'cut off': http://imgur.com/a/T5XWZ Weird stuff.

I have an old version of GLZdoom (1.7?) that runs the areas you have pointed out without any issues. Still, it's obvious from saski's post that I have some stupid unclosed sector errors, so it wouldn't surprise me if I could clean up the non-GL geometry and see goodness when building GL nodes.

Lutz said:

Just wait until "The Abandoned Mines" (MAP26) -- that level definitely should have appeared prior to level 21...

See, and forgive me for playing armchair designer for a moment, my reaction to the 'problem' posed by such levels would have been "okay, clearly we're intended to understand these as being in Hell (or else they wouldn't be in this episode)--how do we fix them so they look the part?" Hell, after all, no doubt has chasms and mines.

But you did something else, and that's fine.

On the other hand, maps 25 and 27 have been exquisite windows into the infernal realms. MAP27 also probably has my favorite gameplay of any so far. I was especially happy to see your take on the gore-filled room in the north--that's probably my favorite setpiece in the map, and you made it even more atmospheric with some moving parts and light triggers. Great stuff.

Now onto MAP28, perhaps my most hotly anticipated map of this release, if only because I've seen The Dying End before...

Managed to get stuck in map 26, here, near the main lift :

Excellent maps, and these lighting effets are so neat, wow. Must have poured a lifetime into these :)
Nice hellish themes too, they were sorely missed in the classic Doom II E3 and you definitely nailed that part.

Also yeah that firewall texture + lava combination has been a trademark of yours since, er, Inferno I believe ?
Don't change that :)

Edit : ammo is a bit too tight for my liking in all the maps I've played ( up to 27 ), even if you manage to find some secret areas.

Jesus Lutz, I mean this is so impressive to look at and explore the way you built that I couldn't care less about the actual monsters in the levels. Congrats on the release, this is absolutely stunning.

2017 is pretty promising year so far. We already got so many awesome stuff so early and I'm sure more things will come soon.