Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Steve

Cacowards 2017 Mentionation Thread

+1 for both Brigandine and Run For It.

The thing about Run For It is that it's not just a funny idea, it's also tremendously well executed. It's not often someone has a comedy idea like that, but also really spends the time thoroughly developing it into something genuinely playable.

CasualScrub said:

Foursite, just for the sheer enormity of it.

Aka "it might be crap, but at least it's big!". :) Best praise I ever received!

There's talk in this month's DWMC about TNT: Revilution's MAP12 being worth a Cacoward on its own. Not inclined to disagree, dat atmosphere tho. <3

+1 Revilution MAP12, though it'd be cool if the whole WAD got a 'ward ;)

edit: Good point Gez, +1 Revilution then.

If you single out a map, it basically says "the rest is crap; don't bother". Like the whole ZPack/Thunderpeak deal some years ago.

Okay, I'll embellish that point; the WAD so far (I'm playing along with the club, but my Internet has been really spotty of late so I can't always comment) has been a pretty good follow-up to Evilution; some maps (MAP09 in particular) even feel like they have the same spirit, it's a lot of fun.

So I guess that's +1 Revilution as a whole from me too, despite seeing little over 1/3 thus far it's pretty damn good.

What happened to the Worst Wad Cacoward?

edit: Maybe if the award was given to wads that were genuinely supposed to be good, but ended up being miserable failures...

But that could be perceived as being cruel, I suppose.

Four Loko Is Gross said:

It was the worst award and the tribe voted it off the island.

Four Loko Is Gross said:

It was retired due to the expanding number of morons desperately pumping out inane garbage in order to purposefully win it, which kind of goes against why it was conceived in the first place. Maybe it'll come back now that most of the noise has died down, but I doubt it.

Also +1 for Brigandine, it's an excellent map.

Based on what I've played so far, which should cover most major releases up through the end of December:

No End in Sight is amazing. Easily going to be one of the 2017 season's top 10. Return to Hadron E2 is also excellent.

I'm sort of assuming the beginning of the 2017 Cacoward year is about November 15th 2016, but if it goes as far back as Nov. 1, then I think Legacy of Heroes and Traveling to the Moon are both worth considering.

I also think Uplink is worth a look. It's not likely to compete for a top 10 spot, but it's a good contender for Honorable Mention.

I'm also re-mentionating Run for It for the Mockaward. I forecasted it as last year's winner, but I think it was probably released too late for consideration, so hopefully it will be in the running (heh) this year instead.

Four Loko Is Gross said:

Bad wads deserve damnatio memoriae, not herostratic fame.

Awarding the worst stuff doesn't work when people actually want to get the award. So instead of being a badge of shame that people would try to avoid by making sure their stuff was good, it became incitement for morons to keep drowning us in zero-effort terrible crap.

Gez said:

Awarding the worst stuff doesn't work when people actually want to get the award. So instead of being a badge of shame that people would try to avoid by making sure their stuff was good, it became incitement for morons to keep drowning us in zero-effort terrible crap.

Political correctness gone wrong.

...*sigh*

There was a time when people did not take so much pride in being utter failures. A time when Doom was great.

We need to make Doom great again. Perhaps if the "Worst Wad" Cacoward was awarded to the second most popular mod/wad (the first loser), it might encourage people to make better wads.

/sarcasm

+1 for Chainworm Kommando

Four Loko Is Gross said:

Where the hell did you get that from?

Cranking out deliberate godawful shit to get an award for producing godawful shit is, ultimately, the result of the same kind of mindset that led Herostratus to burn down the Temple of Artemis at Ephesus (one of the seven wonders of the ancient world) circa 356 BC: Some people want fame more than anything else, and if they can't be famous for good things, then they'll do bad things instead.

Four Loko Is Gross said:

...*sigh*

There was a time when people did not take so much pride in being utter failures. A time when Doom was great.

We need to make Doom great again. Perhaps if the "Worst Wad" Cacoward was awarded to the second most popular mod/wad (the first loser), it might encourage people to make better wads.

/sarcasm

1) Cacowards are awarded to the best projects as seen by the Cacoward team, not to the most popular mods/wads.
2) With 10 main category winners and a flexible number of runners-up, there is no concept of the first loser.
3) The term "political correctness" has an actual meaning and is not used as a generalized expletive when you bang your head on an open kitchen drawer door, or forget your car keys.
4) Adding "/sarcasm" to the end of a violent brain diarrhoea discharge doesn't make it any less stupid.

I hope my explanation has been helpful and will help you better navigating yourself around the thread in the future.

The "worst wad" award was discontinued because it was ultimately mean-spirited and we are all SJWs who worry about people's fee fees.

Linguica said:

The "worst wad" award was discontinued because it was ultimately mean-spirited and we are all SJWs who worry about people's fee fees.

I knew it. Fucking 'Watching-Another-Man-Sleep-With-Your-Wife'world strikes again.

Pure Hellspawn said:

i think mechadon's made quite a contribution to the DOOM community so I mention him for MOTY.

Shame he already won it a few years back. :P

jmickle66666666 said:

don't see why you can't win it more than once

Do you really want to start something like that?

How would you feel if a certain someone received multiple Cacowards for Brutal Doom?

Four Loko Is Gross said:

How would you feel if a certain someone received multiple Cacowards for Brutal Doom?

Multiple awards to one person for multiple projects is fine. Multiple awards for just one same project seems much less so.

Jayextee said:

Multiple awards to one person for multiple projects is fine. Multiple awards for just one same project seems much less so.

That being said, I'd like to nominate Graf Zahl for a Cacoward.

Can anyone truly deny his impact on the Doom source port world?

jmickle66666666 said:

don't see why you can't win it more than once

Mainly just because there will always be deserving people who haven't gotten it. Both Xaser and Lutz are already solid contenders for this year, and I think NaturalTvventy could get it solely based on the strength and variety of his 20ish NEIS maps.

The vinny's contest in general provided a neat swathe of content, some junky, others surprising. We obviously have it's top 3, but it's worth digging through the Slough of Despair to find some hellish gems.

With all these newcomer-centered projects and wads these days; maybe there should be one for "most valuable asset for newcomers"?

Popping another down for Malevolent horizon; for general theme (voidscapes are neat) and creative reworking of a given theme. Also upcoming general mapper; while some bits could use a detail pass, he's certainly established himself and is on the tracks to becoming quite talented. Give him a nudge.